How soon should I be scheduling my callbacks?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How soon should I be scheduling my callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:18 pm

OCI was last week. I've got a few offers to come in for callback interviews. Obviously sooner is better, but I don't have a good sense for how much of a rush I should be in to do the callbacks as soon as I can.

Do I need to try to get these scheduled for, say, next week (Aug 30-Sept 3)? Would it be ok to bump it back to the next Friday (Sept 10)? Is scheduling beyond that and on into mid-Sept so late that it's going to start hurting my chances or is that still the middle of the callback cycle for most places?

Also, does anyone have any tips for dealing with professors? Callbacks are certainly my top priority but a few profs have a pretty strong emphasis on attendance (and these are for ~30 person classes, not 100-person lectures), and I don't want to start off the semester on their bad side because I missed a few classes for interviewing.

Anonymous User

Re: How soon should I be scheduling my callbacks?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:25 pm

Depends on the firm. Some won't have availability for a week, some will be happy to see you tomorrow. Ring the recruiter, ASAP, accept the callback, and ask for THEIR schedule. If it doesn't line up perfectly, ask for time. Otherwise, take the soonest time that doesn't screw you with respect to scheduling various cities together if you have multiple markets lined up. Do not wait a week because you want to "go to class." Do not wait a week because you want to "go to journal orientation." This is your fucking job, you need one, and if you're the last callback they do they may have given out all offers before you walk through the lobby - where as if you're the first, they might not have pressure to keep the callback numbers down if they like you at all. I've heard that advice from hiring partners, it's not law student conjecture.

If by CoB tomorrow you haven't scheduled a callback an offer for a firm you would BE WILLING to work for, you're doing it wrong. It can be annoying because of waiting for all the places you interviewed with, but you have to concentrate on getting an offer before you worry about being in class frequently, expenses, convenience, psychology, rest, etc.

But it is firm dependent. I have had firms that wanted to do it all via email rather than phone, with slow turnarounds. Others have called me back at 5pm Friday, and when I asked about scheduling said only "well, Monday would be too soon - when else are you available?" You always play by their rules. Some even have online sign ups. But when people say "the sooner the better" it is not an idle suggestion.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Depends on the firm. Some won't have availability for a week, some will be happy to see you tomorrow. Ring the recruiter, ASAP, accept the callback, and ask for THEIR schedule. If it doesn't line up perfectly, ask for time. Otherwise, take the soonest time that doesn't screw you with respect to scheduling various cities together if you have multiple markets lined up. Do not wait a week because you want to "go to class." Do not wait a week because you want to "go to journal orientation." This is your fucking job, you need one, and if you're the last callback they do they may have given out all offers before you walk through the lobby - where as if you're the first, they might not have pressure to keep the callback numbers down if they like you at all. I've heard that advice from hiring partners, it's not law student conjecture.

If by CoB tomorrow you haven't scheduled a callback an offer for a firm you would BE WILLING to work for, you're doing it wrong. It can be annoying because of waiting for all the places you interviewed with, but you have to concentrate on getting an offer before you worry about being in class frequently, expenses, convenience, psychology, rest, etc.

But it is firm dependent. I have had firms that wanted to do it all via email rather than phone, with slow turnarounds. Others have called me back at 5pm Friday, and when I asked about scheduling said only "well, Monday would be too soon - when else are you available?" You always play by their rules. Some even have online sign ups. But when people say "the sooner the better" it is not an idle suggestion.

I am dumb and did not think about this when I called to schedule my callbacks this morning. All I thought was, "I want to have enough time to be really prepared," and scheduled my callbacks for the end of next week (thurs and fri). Now I am wishing I tried to schedule it for this week. Do you think it would be worse to call the recruiter and ask to re-schedule, or just keep the original date? Thanks for the advice, your post was really helpful.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Depends on the firm. Some won't have availability for a week, some will be happy to see you tomorrow. Ring the recruiter, ASAP, accept the callback, and ask for THEIR schedule. If it doesn't line up perfectly, ask for time. Otherwise, take the soonest time that doesn't screw you with respect to scheduling various cities together if you have multiple markets lined up. Do not wait a week because you want to "go to class." Do not wait a week because you want to "go to journal orientation." This is your fucking job, you need one, and if you're the last callback they do they may have given out all offers before you walk through the lobby - where as if you're the first, they might not have pressure to keep the callback numbers down if they like you at all. I've heard that advice from hiring partners, it's not law student conjecture.

I am dumb and did not think about this when I called to schedule my callbacks this morning. All I thought was, "I want to have enough time to be really prepared," and scheduled my callbacks for the end of next week (thurs and fri). Now I am wishing I tried to schedule it for this week. Do you think it would be worse to call the recruiter and ask to re-schedule, or just keep the original date? Thanks for the advice, your post was really helpful.

Prior anon here. It isn't a landspeed race. End of next week (2nd/3rd?) is still early in the process, as a general rule, for most firms. If any of the firms that CB'd you want to work for very much, re-scheduling for earlier can't hurt. But the timing you picked also isn't fatal. End of September, or middle if you had an option of end of this week, may have been dicier.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:42 pm

A couple of new york firms did not have availability until the week of September 13th. Is that really late?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A couple of new york firms did not have availability until the week of September 13th. Is that really late?

Prior anon here again. The cardinal rule is follow firm availability. If your OCI was later than, oh I don't know, Columbia's * cough * then it isn't surprising that they want you later than most. Don't worry about it. You can't schedule it earlier than they will let you schedule it, if they say "week of 9/13 is the earliest" schedule it and don't spend any time fretting. Over the timing. Fret about what you can control.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:48 pm

Good call. Actually it was after Columbia's. We had it last week. I just could not believe that they scheduled it three weeks out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Good call. Actually it was after Columbia's. We had it last week. I just could not believe that they scheduled it three weeks out.

Prior anon here again again. Belive it. Each firm is different. I've had firms that literally said "Are you free tomorrow" and firms that, as you experienced, said Monday 9/13 was blindingly early. They all make their own calls. They may not even want to do callbacks until OCI is (more or less) done nationwide. Don't worry about it, but do your best to A) be as early as possible B) particularly with respect to your top choice firms.

Return to “Legal Employment”