Boston Lawyers Group Job Fair Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Boston Lawyers Group Job Fair

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:58 pm

4 interviews, no ties as well

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 pm

7 here. New England, but not Boston-specific, ties.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:11 pm

10! College in Boston, law school in the southeast.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:23 pm

Anyone know how seriously or strictly BLG adheres to its "Law Students of Color" descriptor? Or rather, 1. how does BLG define "color" (AA/Hispanic? minority? more broadly 'diverse'?) and 2. is there any potential negative to going through BLG events/career fairs if you don't meet this definition?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:33 pm

I think 'law students of color' is pretty clear. As in a racial/ethnic minority.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how seriously or strictly BLG adheres to its "Law Students of Color" descriptor? Or rather, 1. how does BLG define "color" (AA/Hispanic? minority? more broadly 'diverse'?) and 2. is there any potential negative to going through BLG events/career fairs if you don't meet this definition?
You will look like an idiot............

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know how seriously or strictly BLG adheres to its "Law Students of Color" descriptor? Or rather, 1. how does BLG define "color" (AA/Hispanic? minority? more broadly 'diverse'?) and 2. is there any potential negative to going through BLG events/career fairs if you don't meet this definition?
You will look like an idiot............
More so than someone who doesn't know what an ellipsis is?

Serious question because I've heard people in more progressive circles use "color" broadly to include LGBT or SES (perhaps conflating the term with URM?)- basically anyone who isn't straight, white, maybe male. Not how I would define the term, but wanted to see what others thought.

As for attending an event while not meeting the definition of "color," I doubt they could exclude anyone, but would the benefit of more face time with potential employers be outweighed by a perceived lack of professionalism? Are "allies" not welcome as they are at so many LGBT events/fairs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:12 pm

10. Law school in Boston. Did anyone get more than 10 and then have the ability to choose their 10 choices?? Or does it seem to just max out completely at 10?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My schedule is up! 6 interviews total, including Ropes and Goodwin. Pretty happy overall.
Mind giving ur stats range/school range?? I got 10 but neither of those 2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My schedule is up! 6 interviews total, including Ropes and Goodwin. Pretty happy overall.
I am not this person, but I did get both of these. Slightly above median (maybe top ~40%?) at T14. I'm actually pretty surprised, especially about Ropes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Sure, I'm around top`~15% at a T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:52 pm

I got both as well--about top 20% at lower T1. Was pleasantly surprised.
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Sure, I'm around top`~15% at a T14.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:49 am

Just got the invitation for the reception. Any of you all going? I would like to, but it will mean having to take more time off work and come to Boston a day early, so I am debating.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:28 pm

I got an interview with the Suffolk DA but it's a bit upsetting since I see how many other people have gotten. I'm in a T4 which is probably what killed me since I'm in the top 6% of my year. Nevertheless, I'm transferring now and most of these firms are going to my OCI so I'm hoping I'll get more opportunities with firms.

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I got an interview with the Suffolk DA but it's a bit upsetting since I see how many other people have gotten. I'm in a T4 which is probably what killed me since I'm in the top 6% of my year. Nevertheless, I'm transferring now and most of these firms are going to my OCI so I'm hoping I'll get more opportunities with firms.
If you are transferring to BU/BC or one of the other schools that have an OCI that is mostly pre-select you should use the firm reception as a springboard for getting pre-selects for your new school's OCI.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:22 am

On simplicity my view of the job fair now includes a column labeled "invitations" and now everything in that column says either "Top Ten selection", "alternate selection" or "lottery selection"... anyone have any clue what this means?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:23 am

I have the same thing. to me it seems to indicate how the firms ranked you, if at all. think it was an error on their part for showing this?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 am

I agree...I think it means precisely what it states. I would assume this wasn't meant to be seen by us.

elm84dr

Bronze

Post by elm84dr » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:33 pm

If anyone has an interview with Goulston Storrs or Sullivan & Worcester, do you have the name of an interviewer on the BLG OCI site? All my other interviews have the names of the interviewers except those two.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:01 pm

wait.. now some of them say preselect and others say alternate selection but the alternate selections have scheduled interviews. Are these actual interviews or not?
If anyone has an interview with Goulston Storrs or Sullivan & Worcester, do you have the name of an interviewer on the BLG OCI site? All my other interviews have the names of the interviewers except those two.
Nope.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:wait.. now some of them say preselect and others say alternate selection but the alternate selections have scheduled interviews. Are these actual interviews or not?
Nope.
you have the interviews but you just werent any of the firms top choices. their top picks probably got the max amount of interviews allowed and they ended up with you on their schedule.

btw, I have one 'top ten selection' and it now reads 'preselect' instead.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

AllTheLawz

Bronze

Post by AllTheLawz » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm

did anyone get a confirmation email after RSVPing or the Pre-fair reception?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:15 pm

AllTheLawz wrote:did anyone get a confirmation email after RSVPing or the Pre-fair reception?
They sent an email about the reception today. If you got it, it's the confirmation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:47 pm

What callbacks have folks gotten so far from today's interviews? I know Choate is calling.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What callbacks have folks gotten so far from today's interviews? I know Choate is calling.
Are they actually making calls or was it just people being told during the interview?? I suspect its the latter

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”