The GULC OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The GULC OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:01 pm

CB - Sheppard Mullin DC
CB - Foley Lardner DC
Ding - King Spaulding ATL/DC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the earliest anyone has scheduled a cb for? With any firm.

All CBs so far are scheduled in the next 3 weeks...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I am CB-less and ding-less (I'm a transfer, albeit one coming from the tippy-top of his well-into-t1 class); am I to infer that I'm in some kind of hold limbo at at least some of these firms, or that I may still get CB's from some of the firms with which I interviewed later in the week? Granted dings come later than callbacks, but you'd think I'd have at least some dings by now. Perhaps the snail mail's just taking a while?

This might be a bad sign, pretty much everyone I know has at least one CB so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I am CB-less and ding-less (I'm a transfer, albeit one coming from the tippy-top of his well-into-t1 class); am I to infer that I'm in some kind of hold limbo at at least some of these firms, or that I may still get CB's from some of the firms with which I interviewed later in the week? Granted dings come later than callbacks, but you'd think I'd have at least some dings by now. Perhaps the snail mail's just taking a while?

This might be a bad sign, pretty much everyone I know has at least one CB so far.

Well of course it might be a bad sign. I suspect it's a function of how retarded my bids were - though I did intersperse two regional interviews (albeit the toughest of that region), the rest were highly selective DC firms, random highly selective West Coast offices, and a London office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Well of course it might be a bad sign. I suspect it's a function of how retarded my bids were - though I did intersperse two regional interviews (albeit the toughest of that region), the rest were highly selective DC firms, random highly selective West Coast offices, and a London office.

Hmmm, seems like your bids were a bit cavalier. Keep us posted on how this strategy turns out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Hmmm, seems like your bids were a bit cavalier. Keep us posted on how this strategy turns out.

Less cavalier than ignorant. I just saw the numbers, was like, "wow, only a 3.45-3.6 average among their hires, I have a shot," and didn't consider that, you know, (a) I'm a transfer, (b) just because the people they took had those numbers doesn't mean that the odds of being taken by them if you have those numbers are at all good. It's obviously much more a function of how big their summer class is, how many they've historically taken from the school (information that it would be nice if the school could provide instead of just giving these deceptive averages), etc.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I think it's a bad sign if you're interviewing in NY, but from people I've talked to it seems that firms outside of NY are moving a bit slower, so it probably isn't too terrible a sign since he was interviewing in DC and west coast primarily.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:06 pm

bump
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to give a quick update to help others :

Allen & Overy NY Callback - phone call
Hogan Lovells NY Callback - phone call
Proskauer NY Callback - via email

haven't heard or recieved any notification from my other firms.

Just a quick question for others.

I'm a transfer student, and I got an email from the recruitment director at Dewey. I had (what I feel) a great interview with them. She contacted me to know if I could send her an unofficial copy of my old law school's transcripts "to complete my application"(i'm a transfer). Emailed her a copy and she said "this is perfect thanks!" Haven't heard since. Anything to make of this? I hope she wouldn't have reached out to me like that just to give me a rejection. Good luck to everyone.

I got a call from V&E (TX) on Friday to request an electronic version of my resume and transcript (they already had hard copies). They gave me a callback the following day. When I asked a few attorneys what the initial request meant, they indicated it was likely so they could pass my docs around the office to see who'd like to pick me up as part of their team. This could be what was going on with you as well. Either way, a call is ALWAYS a good thing, so you're probably doing well.

Good luck with everything, regardless.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:44 pm

Well, thanks for your optimism, 6:28, but I think it IS a bad sign. I mean, Akin DC, with whom I definitely had my best screener and which is probably one of the less selective firms with which I spoke (which gives you an idea of how nutty my bids were), has reportedly already contacted some people. And they didn't contact me. As have Gibson, S&C, and Jones Day, all of whom I saw. I would be a little surprised if neither of the firms in my region got back to me - I was around the top of my perfectly respectable class and interned for a COA judge in their city - but you never know.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just wanted to give a quick update to help others :

Allen & Overy NY Callback - phone call
Hogan Lovells NY Callback - phone call
Proskauer NY Callback - via email

haven't heard or recieved any notification from my other firms.

Just a quick question for others.

I'm a transfer student, and I got an email from the recruitment director at Dewey. I had (what I feel) a great interview with them. She contacted me to know if I could send her an unofficial copy of my old law school's transcripts "to complete my application"(i'm a transfer). Emailed her a copy and she said "this is perfect thanks!" Haven't heard since. Anything to make of this? I hope she wouldn't have reached out to me like that just to give me a rejection. Good luck to everyone.

I got a call from V&E (TX) on Friday to request an electronic version of my resume and transcript (they already had hard copies). They gave me a callback the following day. When I asked a few attorneys what the initial request meant, they indicated it was likely so they could pass my docs around the office to see who'd like to pick me up as part of their team. This could be what was going on with you as well. Either way, a call is ALWAYS a good thing, so you're probably doing well.

Good luck with everything, regardless.

I got the same thing from V&E on Friday and received my CB call midday Saturday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:14 am

Not me, but I've heard of callbacks from Ropes Boston and Reed Smith DC. Both were last week. Got a ding from Skadden this weekend (mail).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:58 am

White & Case email ding. Anyone heard from Venable or King & Spaulding? (I saw the K&S ding but wonder about callbacks.)

highhopes967

Postby highhopes967 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:33 pm

Last edited by highhopes967 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:28 pm

To the above poster... it was actually before OCI week... they were interviewing people at the their office who they didn't get in the lottery. It was the DC office. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:51 pm

So far for me:

18 interviews

2 CBs (1 DC, 1 NY)

0 Dings

The CBs are both from interviews very early in the week and came late last week.

How much longer until I can be sure those are gunna be the only 2 I get? End of this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:56 pm

Anybody heard from Willkie NY? Weil NY? Allen and Overy NY?

To carry my weight, here's what I've heard of -

Proskauer NY
Ropes & Gray NY
Jones Day (don't know the city)
Vinson & Elkins
Davis Polk
Simpson Thacher (not verified - secondhand info)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:12 pm

Anyone heard from Paul Hastings?

Also carrying my weight (Although I think these have been stated already)

Heard from

Skadden (DC)
K&S
Jones Day

Still waiting to hear from about 10 firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:18 pm

I have a general question....Many firms had dinners or happy hours of some sort during EIW last week. However, the invite list seemed to be much shorter than what would normally be expected assuming a 25% screening:CB rate. Does this mean that firms are just not giving as many callbacks as in years past? If you were invited to one of these things, are you basically guaranteed a callback? Does one have a chance at a cb at a given firm if there weren't invited?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:29 pm

Regarding how much longer: not sure. Even though I still have to hear from at least nine places (all DC) I feel like it's over for me. (Similar to you I've got 2 CBs.) For the people asking about Patton Boggs... they are holding interviews at the firm this week for people outside of the lottery. So I would imagine it will be awhile... though they could be doing rolling CBs. Really, I feel like I know nothing at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:33 pm

I wondered about the dinner thing as well. i.e. Gibson Dunn had a dinner for about 7 people for CA/NY/DC total. THat can't possibly be the total # of callbacks......right?

If so we're in worse shape than I thought.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:56 pm

There were roughly 25 students at the Gibson Dunn dinner.

highhopes967

Postby highhopes967 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:43 pm

Last edited by highhopes967 on Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:30 pm

CB Hollingsworth (email) - interviewed pre-OCI @ office

CB Morgan Lewis Philadelphia (phone) - interviewed Thursday at OCI

Ding White & Case DC (email) - interviewed Monday afternoon OCI

Has anybody heard from:

Crowell
Hughes Hubbard
Drinker Biddle
Howrey
Kirkland

(All DC)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:36 pm

Gibson had about 25 at the dinner (6-7 per schedule, perhaps?)

Dewey NY contacted me on Friday (very late). No idea about others.

Return to “Legal Employment”