The GULC OCI Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The GULC OCI Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:26 pm

Anonymous User wrote:^
Freshfields and Sidley rejections; email for the former, letter for the latter

FWIW - 3.3, secondary journal, we

Thanks, and good luck.

(3.5, no LR, lots of silence)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Anyone have success with DC firms (3+ cbs) that was not top 10%, LR, IP, or very significant work experience? I feel like top 10-33% without LR was no where near safe this year. Any contradictory experiences?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I have 2 DC callbacks (sec. 3, top 15%) out of the three DC screeners I did. Both were from hustling interviews at OCI.

drew

Postby drew » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have 2 DC callbacks (sec. 3, top 15%) out of the three DC screeners I did. Both were from hustling interviews dropping off resumes revealing my 3.7+ GPA at OCI.

fixed

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:not to mention firms have no idea how many callbacks individual candidates have and this is anonymous. Revealing exact gpa might be revealing but number of callbacks is not. face it GULC OCI was bloodbath for anyone outside top third not IP.

I think the point trying to be made here is that top 1/3 itself was no guarantee of avoiding the bloodbath.

Which I think is what many of us were counting on and has since proven false.

Plenty of people outside the top 1/3 who didn't make the mistake of "I'm at Georgetown, I'll still be competitive in DC!" got callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:25 pm

drew wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have 2 DC callbacks (sec. 3, top 15%) out of the three DC screeners I did. Both were from hustling interviews dropping off resumes revealing my 3.7+ GPA at OCI.

fixed

:lol: kinda. More sending letters of interest as soon as OCI bid results were posted, doing extensive research on the firm prior to stopping by the hospitality suite, then following up w/ recruiters again a few days later.

Granted, none of that would've mattered if my GPA didn't hit the cutoff. But still, there's something to be said for hustlin a bit.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Also Sec. 3 Top 15%. Ended up with 6 DC CBs, though I didn't apply to Covington, WilmerHale or W&C. Got a bunch more CBs in NYC as well. Honestly, beyond my grades, I don't know what did it.

ETA: Got a callback w/ Fried Frank today from resume drop at hospitality suite. It's not over til it's over.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:24 pm

Someone got a callback yesterday (not me so I'm not going to say where except it's not NYC), so there's still hope.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Hey guys. I got a CB on Monday from Drinker Biddle, so there's still hope for EIW!

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:44 am

No hope for median folks, I know none with CBs, anecdotal evidence of course but also know of a few top ten-ers with no CBs either; and another top third with rejections after CBs. It's brutal, only heard of one offer from LR person.

Would love to hear success stories for sure! I want our school to do well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:05 am

Can confirm several people with one offer (yet to hear of any with more than one though), including from top firms in DC and NYC. That being said, everyone I know of with offers is in the top 15%, most in top 10%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:00 am

Would love to hear success stories for sure! I want our school to do well.

Not exactly success stories, but not dire news either. I'm medianish, no LR (solid secondary journal), and have 2 CB's. A friend with roughly equivalent stats came out the same. I would guess we are both fairly strong interviewers? Except I sort of think "strong interviewing" is urban legend.

Other friends with stronger (still not LR/top 15% strong) credentials were quite successful at EIW.

Offers? Couldn't say. Haven't been on my CB's yet, and I haven't heard about others' post-CB rejections/offers. I don't think many of my friends are top 10%'ers. Also: GULC EIW is fairly late to begin with; for folks not targeting NYC, the turnaround time seems to be really prolonged.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:55 pm

Mind sharing what firms have given CBs to median people here. I know of one in a smaller market, not NY or DC, and one in DC but with a midlaw specialty firm. I was thinking about the time frame, how we are almost last among the top schools and how that may disadvantage us. How much do you think our change in curve has helped? I would say zero.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:24 pm

of course the GPA change didn't really help anyone. If anything, it mashed more students into the middle, and made the best students look slightly worse compared to the rest of the class by bunching up the curve near the top- i.e. while there used to be a clear break between the cutoffs, now more students appear to be in the same range, and instead of being .2 ahead, the top 10% is only now .1 ahead from the rest of the pack- it also didn't help that the curve change was announced with essentially trumpets and a parade- it was all over the internets.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:24 pm

slightly above median, lots of CBs--they happen

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:slightly above median, lots of CBs--they happen

where at? DC/NYC/secondary market? even assuming we are all talking market-paying firms, the location is very important to know. if DC then wow...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:

where at? DC/NYC/secondary market? even assuming we are all talking market-paying firms, the location is very important to know. if DC then wow...

NYC, market

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

NYC, market

median, no cbs

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:19 am

Mind sharing what firms have given CBs to median people here. I know of one in a smaller market, not NY or DC, and one in DC but with a midlaw specialty firm. I was thinking about the time frame, how we are almost last among the top schools and how that may disadvantage us. How much do you think our change in curve has helped? I would say zero.

"Medianish" chiming back in.
Clarification: I was speaking for myself and a few others in the dead median/just below category. I'm sorry I can't get too specific with firms and cities. Basically what you'd expect: a couple bigger firms based in secondary markets, a couple smaller specialty firms in big markets. Not DC. All market-paying firms; all have been mentioned in this forum during OCI, not necessarily in the GULC thread.

I do know folks with GPA's ranging from mine up into 3.5 territory who got 0 EIW callbacks. It sucks, and I expect to be commiserating soon. But there are also lots of "slightly above median - > rocked EIW" folks. I don't think our experience compares to last year.

The new curve? Didn't change a thing. At least not for the better.
Does anybody actually think that BS had a positive effect?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:

"Medianish" chiming back in.
Clarification: I was speaking for myself and a few others in the dead median/just below category. I'm sorry I can't get too specific with firms and cities. Basically what you'd expect: a couple bigger firms based in secondary markets, a couple smaller specialty firms in big markets. Not DC. All market-paying firms; all have been mentioned in this forum during OCI, not necessarily in the GULC thread.

I do know folks with GPA's ranging from mine up into 3.5 territory who got 0 EIW callbacks. It sucks, and I expect to be commiserating soon. But there are also lots of "slightly above median - > rocked EIW" folks. I don't think our experience compares to last year.

The new curve? Didn't change a thing. At least not for the better.
Does anybody actually think that BS had a positive effect?

What do you mean by our experience not comparing to last year? For better or for worse? It's tough to contemplate things being worse. Curve change hasn't helped. One of the biggest problem is starting EIW several weeks after firms have interviewed at peer/better schools. Even if firms do have targets/quotients it's more likely they end up over than under. Especially when there are only 5-10 summer positions total, timing matters more than nearly anything.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 pm

In response to the above concerns about EIW timing: I'm in the top 1/3 and recently got an offer from a V100 but highly ranked firm in DC. I got a CB invite late last week and managed to slip in the schedule for this week in the last available slot from a cancellation. When I scheduled my CB, I was told there were no more slots available until the end of October. You can't tell me I would have gotten an offer with a late October slot. No way. And I don't doubt the schedule was filled with other folks from schools who do EIW earlier than us. I don't know how to solve this problem... but if this continues, schools will be doing EIWs in June and July to stay ahead of the game. Where does it end? The whole things seems like such a crapshoot and I feel badly for those who aren't able to get earlier callbacks. I have no doubt I could easily be in a very different position if it weren't for some scheduling luck. It's scary stuff when you think about it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:44 pm

3.3, not sure if that is median or not; 1 CB, had screenings with DC/NYC firms who have historically taken summers below my GPA. Timing and Curve I think hurt everyone because now there is more competition amongst each other here at GULC because everyone seems qualified.

Know some 3.5 people with 0 CBs, but also a few lower with a couple. DC was rough this year, know of a couple top students with no CBs or offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:24 pm

So - who has offers and where?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So - who has offers and where?

NY seems to be pretty quick in terms of turnaround - I have offers at Paul Weiss NY and Davis Polk NY and a rejection at Skadden NY. Silence from other places. I'm canceling my few remaining callbacks ASAP, so hopefully those interviews/offers will go to fellow GULC people.

(Stats: good grades, LR).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:21 pm

When fif you have your Davis Polk and Paul Weiss callbacks? And congrats.

Return to “Legal Employment”