The GULC OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The GULC OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When fif you have your Davis Polk and Paul Weiss callbacks? And congrats.
Thank you very much. Paul Weiss cb was earlier this week, Davis Polk was last week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:09 pm

Thanks. I'm waiting on DPW and had them on thursday last week so trying to get my bearings. I take it you heard from both this week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Thanks. I'm waiting on DPW and had them on thursday last week so trying to get my bearings. I take it you heard from both this week?
Yeah, both this week. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:33 pm

how long are we talking here for time between CB & offer? I had a callback in DC early last week, an interviewer said the hiring committee was meeting on Thursday but wasn't sure if they'd reach a final decision. So far I've heard nothing, but I know that the firm was issuing CBs as late as Monday/Tuesday last week, so is it just too early to expect an offer, especially from a DC firm? just looking for some perspective if anybody else had faced a situation, and, if so, what was the outcome?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:33 pm

It depends on the firm. I had a CB last Tuesday for a DC V100 and received an offer the next day. (Right after the Committee met.) But I was told if my interviewers hadn't sent their feedback to the Committee in time that I would have been considered the next time to the Committee met (the following week). I promptly withdrew from another DC V100 where I had had a CB two weeks ago and heard nothing. So who knows?

Also, there are so many people who say "It's not that bad, I'm top 20%, no LR and had a ton of callbacks, DC or wherever, etc." and that's great. It's fantastic really. But there are 600 students in our class, and I think it's pretty safe to say that probably 450-500 (maybe more) aren't having that kind of success. Regardless, there's so much luck involved in this process that it's scary... Good luck.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:40 pm

^ very much seconded

Last year less than 40% got positions out of any OCI programs, gov't and September IW included. This year hopefully at least half get something. Still leaves 300 people scrambling for anything as the year goes on.

bwv812

Silver

Post by bwv812 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 pm

Hey guys. I just wanted to say that I JUST today got a CB from an EIW interview. So if anyone else is out there waiting on EIW results, there's still hope!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:01 pm

Also just got a callback from EIW week... and at a firm I didn't actually interview with.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:31 pm

Anyone have any news on Dechert (DC)?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any news on Dechert (DC)?
Yeh, I got dinged ages ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone have any news on Dechert (DC)?
Yeh, I got dinged ages ago.
callback or no?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:52 pm

3.80 GPA, 5 CBs, 4 rejections, still waiting on one. Starting to get a little nervous about this job market and my interviewing skills.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Very quick Sidley DC rejection (as in, 2 business days post CB), though I thought it went great on the day.

Ah well. Such is DC.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:21 pm

Anyone interview with Van Ness Feldman last week?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:01 pm

So what has the general consensus been re: this year vs. last year?

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So what has the general consensus been re: this year vs. last year?
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:47 am

Slightly better this year (?), but hard to say because OCS doesn't really release information about the percentage of the class that gets offers from OCI. You have to twist their arm for it; last year was around 35%. This year it seems like a larger percentage of the class got offers but IDK. Based on my own experience and surveys of friends, I would say that it's been very odd maybe just as bad. A couple friends in the top 10 have nothing and a couple near the top third cutoff have offers. I have heard of no one near median with anything though, but it doesn't mean it's not out there.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:49 pm

As a 3L who went through OCI last year I got the sense that there were more offers made this year, even if firms didn't go much deeper into the class. There also seemed to be more callbacks, even if it just meant that firms were interviewing more people and filling the same number of spots. Last year it seemed that most people got an offer or two, accepted, and were done. Firms were terrified of being oversubscribed so they didn't make more offers than spots. Students were terrified that firms would rescind their offers so they accepted ASAP. This year students seemed to hold onto more offers and shop around a little more. I think it was good because it let those lucky enough to get offers to shop around for the best "fit" rather than settling for the first firm to come along.

I also think things were a little less random this year. Last year firms had no idea what GPA range to shoot for so it was incredibly random with some firms yield protecting and others overshooting. OSC also had no idea what to expect so it was the blind leading the blind. This year seemed a little more tame....

I don't know what the hard numbers look like, but it was better even if it still wasn't good.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”