The GULC OCI Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: The GULC OCI Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:37 pm

Just received a request from Paul Hastings to fill out an anonymous survey on equal opportunity hiring... but have heard nothing else. Is this indicative of anything or standard for all their applicants?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:42 pm

Standard. Got it from a few places.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CB Morgan Lewis Philadelphia (phone) - interviewed Thursday at OCI
Damn! There goes one of my two regionals. Are transfers really that useless? It's not like I came from a t2 school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB Morgan Lewis Philadelphia (phone) - interviewed Thursday at OCI
Damn! There goes one of my two regionals. Are transfers really that useless? It's not like I came from a t2 school.
Philly is a local market for me (went to college there) so maybe that influenced things? Sorry :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Philly is a local market for me (went to college there) so maybe that influenced things? Sorry :(
I'm from there! Born and raised! Haha. Of course I didn't want to go back but I don't believe I telegraphed that in my screener.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:12 pm

Was told Crowell privately told some students they would be CB'd, but those students have not heard anything formally yet. Just a rumor mill thing, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:25 pm

Jones Day SF email ding

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:58 pm

Has anyone heard from any of the following?

Kelley Drye
Chadbourne Parke
Stroock Stroock & Lavan
Schulte Roth and Zabel
Curtis Mallet
Pillsbury Winthrop

THANKS!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:15 pm

Can confirm median at GULC is getting rocked. I'm a little above median, right outside top 1/3 cutoff, secondary journal, moot court, and three years work experience: 7 rejections, 0 CBs to date. I'm not a bad interviewer either, worked in an industry that requires good communication and interpersonal skills. Even bid well below my gpa for most firms. Only had two of my 11 interviews at firms with higher gpa medians.

FML

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:09 am

Was told Crowell privately told some students they would be CB'd, but those students have not heard anything formally yet. Just a rumor mill thing, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
Heard this as well. Aren't they notorious for taking their sweet time with this stuff anyway?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:21 am

CB from mayor brown

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 am

How are rejections coming, for those of you who have received some? Email? Phone? Snail mail?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 am

Email and snail mail.

Paul Weiss NY has called; one of their interviewers went on vacation which is why it took them a while to get back to people.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:12 pm

Akin DC ding via email.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:30 pm

Covington (DC) -- callback offer by phone

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:58 pm

Jones Day NY ding. Kasowitz ding.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:40 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a general question....Many firms had dinners or happy hours of some sort during EIW last week. However, the invite list seemed to be much shorter than what would normally be expected assuming a 25% screening:CB rate. Does this mean that firms are just not giving as many callbacks as in years past? If you were invited to one of these things, are you basically guaranteed a callback? Does one have a chance at a cb at a given firm if there weren't invited?
Yes. They mentioned at EIW orientation that firms were notoriously cutting deeper at the screening, offering fewer callbacks. A function of reduced summer class sizes and desire to spend less on flying, housing, and dining law students for callbacks. Orientation leaders categorically said the effect of this is to actually give you a far better shot of actually getting a summer job at given firm once you've received the callback, as you'll be head-to-head with fewer people/spot than in years past.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:14 am

I'm of the opposite opinion, actually. I think they're giving more callbacks and then being more selective from that group. It's cheaper to fly out a bunch of people and pick the right associate then cut corners on travel expenses and pick the wrong associate. Just my .02 though.

On another note....Willkie NY? Anybody?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 am

Anyone heard from Venable DC or know of anyone who did?

BTW, I got two dings from Akin, one email and one letter... there's nothing like getting rejected twice!

In general, I think my OCI is over. Top 1/3, secondary journal, 15 dc interviews, WE. 2 CBs... not sure how those will go. Still, I don't feel like I can complain. Good luck to everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm of the opposite opinion, actually. I think they're giving more callbacks and then being more selective from that group. It's cheaper to fly out a bunch of people and pick the right associate then cut corners on travel expenses and pick the wrong associate. Just my .02 though.

On another note....Willkie NY? Anybody?
Yeah, except this isn't a matter of opinion. The Office of Career Services, based on the numbers submitted to it and the conversations engaged in with firm HR reps, can speak authoritatively on how firms are strategically approaching the process and the ratio of screens:callbacks this year compared to years past.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received a request from Paul Hastings to fill out an anonymous survey on equal opportunity hiring... but have heard nothing else. Is this indicative of anything or standard for all their applicants?
Hastings had a dinner, called back everyone who was invited.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from any of the following?

Chadbourne Parke
Stroock Stroock & Lavan
Schulte Roth and Zabel
These all have made call backs. Chadbourne was the next day, Stroock and Schulte were a few days later.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Yeah, except this isn't a matter of opinion.
Until final numbers come in, everything re: the recruiting process is opinion.
The Office of Career Services, based on the numbers submitted to it and the conversations engaged in with firm HR reps, can speak authoritatively on how firms are strategically approaching the process and the ratio of screens:callbacks this year compared to years past.
I have different information from other reliable sources, but I hope you're right. Fingers crossed eh?

Good luck w/ your CBs either way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Callback via e-mail to Pillsbury NY.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:18 pm

Ding from MoFo DC by email
hogan lovells DC CB phone + email

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.