2L writing sample Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
samiseaborn

Bronze

2L writing sample

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:31 am

So my summer job did not produce anything I can use as a writing sample. Should I continue to use the memo I wrote for for fall Legal Writing, or an appellate brief from spring? About the same grade on both, of course the appellate brief is more pages. Does anyone know of a preference from employers? (I know I'm belatedly thinking about this, the writing sample completely slipped my mind in the whole transfer debacle).

Anonymous User

Re: 2L writing sample

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:47 am

I am using a motion for summer judgment from my spring writing class, it is only about 5 pages. I would your brief from the spring and edit it down to 5-10 pages.

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:50 pm

Hm, while my brief is probably written better than the memo (due to it being 2nd semester) it is 20 pages long. What sections do you recommend leaving out? The argument alone is ~12 and the facts about 5. Can I omit the entire fact section?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:20 pm

samiseaborn wrote:Hm, while my brief is probably written better than the memo (due to it being 2nd semester) it is 20 pages long. What sections do you recommend leaving out? The argument alone is ~12 and the facts about 5. Can I omit the entire fact section?
Why the heck is it 20 pages long? Yikes.

Don't omit the fact section. You want to have a complete document for them to look at. Without the facts, they will not be able to get their bearings about what you are talking about. That said, I cannot imagine you need 5 pages for a facts section. There are probably a lot of facts in there that you simply do not need for your argument. Find them and eliminate them.

Also go through and cut out all the unnecessary fluff. It will make the piece better, and will help make it a more manageable length. After that is done, if you still need to cut pages and cannot do it without begining to make your argument nonsensical, cut sections of your argument whole-scale. Just make a note indicating that the section was there in the past. It is much better to half a few very well written sections than only a fraction of a lot of sections.

If you can get the total length down to around 5 pages, that would be ideal. I would under no circumstances make it longer than ten pages.

EDIT: And are you sure nothing you wrote over the summer will work as a writing sample? It is almost sure to be better than your LARW stuff, and firms tend to like seeing what you actually produce while you are working.

vamedic03

Gold

Post by vamedic03 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:33 pm

Bosque wrote:
samiseaborn wrote:Hm, while my brief is probably written better than the memo (due to it being 2nd semester) it is 20 pages long. What sections do you recommend leaving out? The argument alone is ~12 and the facts about 5. Can I omit the entire fact section?
Why the heck is it 20 pages long? Yikes.

Don't omit the fact section. You want to have a complete document for them to look at. Without the facts, they will not be able to get their bearings about what you are talking about. That said, I cannot imagine you need 5 pages for a facts section. There are probably a lot of facts in there that you simply do not need for your argument. Find them and eliminate them.

Also go through and cut out all the unnecessary fluff. It will make the piece better, and will help make it a more manageable length. After that is done, if you still need to cut pages and cannot do it without begining to make your argument nonsensical, cut sections of your argument whole-scale. Just make a note indicating that the section was there in the past. It is much better to half a few very well written sections than only a fraction of a lot of sections.

If you can get the total length down to around 5 pages, that would be ideal. I would under no circumstances make it longer than ten pages.

EDIT: And are you sure nothing you wrote over the summer will work as a writing sample? It is almost sure to be better than your LARW stuff, and firms tend to like seeing what you actually produce while you are working.
Um, ~ 20 pages would be appropriate for an appellate brief - but you can probably omit almost all the statement of facts and just provide a 1 paragraph summary; plus, cut the summary of argument, statement of case, etc.

EDIT: 5-10 pages is appropriate for a writing sample, just saying that 20 isn't long for an appellate brief

samiseaborn

Bronze

Post by samiseaborn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:23 pm

I did get it down to around 10, and eliminated most of the sections you suggested. I just wrote it so long ago now that I couldn't remember which paragraphs/sections were the important ones! Thanks for the help!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”