Accepting an offer too early--how to rescind the acceptance?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Accepting an offer too early--how to rescind the acceptance?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:32 am

Does this make you look bad? What if a better offer comes along after you previously accepted another offer?

legalease9

Re: Accepting an offer too early--how to rescind the acceptance?

Postby legalease9 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:56 am

Disregard...
Last edited by legalease9 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

kazu

Postby kazu » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:59 am

legalease9 wrote:Unless you committed to dropping all other offers (through ED app etc.) You should be fine.

Wrong forum... I think OP is asking about employment offers from law firms.
As a 0L I am not qualified to give any advice.

legalease9

Postby legalease9 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:02 am

kazu wrote:
legalease9 wrote:Unless you committed to dropping all other offers (through ED app etc.) You should be fine.

Oh, yeah... Whoops!

enygma

Postby enygma » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:Does this make you look bad? What if a better offer comes along after you previously accepted another offer?

you get 28 days to accept an offer for a reason. it definitely makes you look very bad to rescind an acceptance. don't do it.

birdmann783

Postby birdmann783 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 am

kazu wrote:

notice the fine print lol

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 am

If you're certain it's what you want to do, just rescind. A hiring partner last summer went so far as to tell me to take the first offer I found attractive and then keep interviewing. If I got a better offer? "Just call the firm you accepted and rescind. They'll understand. It happens every year. Do you really think they'll be hurt by it? They have hundreds of law students chasing that job. It's happened to me and my firm and I expect it will happen again."

I wasn't comfortable with it, but I do believe he was being honest about his experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:21 am

midwestls wrote:If you're certain it's what you want to do, just rescind. A hiring partner last summer went so far as to tell me to take the first offer I found attractive and then keep interviewing. If I got a better offer? "Just call the firm you accepted and rescind. They'll understand. It happens every year. Do you really think they'll be hurt by it? They have hundreds of law students chasing that job. It's happened to me and my firm and I expect it will happen again."

I wasn't comfortable with it, but I do believe he was being honest about his experience.

My understanding is that when you accept an offer you stop interviewing and are locked in. So don't accept until you have the job you want or your 28 days are up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 am

do it if u have no ethics, and remember, karma is a bitch. but depends...if the offer you accepted was SHITTTLAW, then you got cravath, i think u should rescind shitlaw and go to cravath. but in general, it's pretty bad form to do so. that being said, after UG i rescinded an offer for about $20K more in salary

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:21 am

I think it's a really bad idea to rescind an acceptance at a firm. This is a much smaller profession than it seems, and this type of thing could follow you. You don't want to start your career with an ethics question looming overhead.

What made you accept initially, and why are you questioning it now? If anything, work there next summer and then don't accept the offer (should you get one), and try again for 3L OCI.

Jessep

Postby Jessep » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:53 pm

It's pretty bad form to rescind an acceptance. If it is in the same market and the market is small, it could affect your reputation in the community. That being said, if the second offer is significantly better than the one you accepted it may be worth risking a possible reputation hit. Firms cancel summer programs if they need to - ultimately loyalty extends only until the consequences are significant. You need to look out for #1 because firms will surely do the same. It is a bit sleazy to rescind though, so be sure that the second offer is really a significantly better option before you rescind. It may be worth talking to your career services, or someone in the legal field that you trust, to determine the best way to approach it.

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Talk - live - with somebody from your school's career services office. ASAP. You're in a very bad situation, and there could be consequences for you and the school that you need to sort out before making any kind of decision.

rcb5142

Postby rcb5142 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Definitely talk to your career services immediately. But, take what they say with a grain of salt because they are looking out for your school's interests first and your interests second.

radek

Postby radek » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:if the offer you accepted was SHITTTLAW, then you got cravath, i think u should rescind shitlaw and go to cravath.

a very practical example. tyft

hithere

Postby hithere » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:38 pm

I'd say it depends on what you're giving up. If your dream firm decides to extend you an offer and you already accepted an offer elsewhere, i'd say you have to look out for you. The biggest thing is to make sure you have a gig lined up when you graduate, because if you don't, you're screwed.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I'm still sticking with this is an absolutely terrible idea. Work there for the summer, and if you don't like it, then go through 3L OCI or apply to other firms as a 3L. Absolutely do NOT ruin your credibility before you even have a legitimate start. You can always do a lateral move after 2-3 years of practicing if all else fails, and at least then you'll have some real solid legal experience under your belt.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:31 pm

Did OP make a decision?

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Did OP make a decision?

Idk, but OP needs to come back and tell us. I really want to know!

Corsair

Postby Corsair » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:55 am

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:07 am

Corsair wrote:
IzziesGal wrote: and if you don't like it, then go through 3L OCI or apply to other firms as a 3L.

bahahahahahahahaha....

Well, I never said it was a good option, just an option. :wink:

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:16 am

If firms can rescind offers, I don't see why students can't. It cuts both ways.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:41 pm

What was the outcome of this? Did you end up rescinding your acceptance, or are you going to stay?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:47 pm

This is a relatively dishonest route to take, but I suspect a good ailing parent story, however transparently fake, could at least help mitigate any potential negative consequences.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:52 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:If firms can rescind offers, I don't see why students can't. It cuts both ways.

Is this rare? I guess I'm being paranoid because I have only one offer, and only a couple callbacks remaining. I think I'll accept my within a couple weeks just to be safe, if nothing else comes through.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:52 pm

NALP firms have to keep an offer open 28 days. Obviously those who interview early and offer early are holding all the cards.

Why not go to the firms you have not heard from, tell them you have a timing problem and ask if they can give you a quicker answer. If they want you , they might speed it up.

Alternatively, ask the firm that gave you an offer if you can have another week or so. They should understand and be wiling to accommodate (especially if you did a really early callback). No they don't have to, but they might go along.

As was pointed out above, firms have plenty of qualified candidates, I (think) they would appreciate the honesty and ethics of such a request, and since they won't be seriously disadvantaged by giving you a llittle time, they'll go along.

Return to “Legal Employment”