ONE callback, panicking!

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

ONE callback, panicking!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:08 pm

So after 25 OCI interviews, I have one callback so far- Wednesday. (As for the other firms, I have been mostly rejected, with a few outstanding, most of which have already given callbacks to others.) I'm meeting with an HR person, two partners and an associate. No word on lunch.

How much research should I do between now and then?

What are things you did wrong/fumbled on the first callback that you fixed on the second or third?

Has anyone else gone 1/1?

Anonymous User

Re: ONE callback, panicking!

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:24 pm

I just did one callback at a V100 and only have one left. I totally feel you. This may be completely off base for the firm you're interviewing at, but I got the impression that the callback interviews are basically just like the on-campus interviews. They'll ask you chatty questions about your resume, invite you to ask about the firm, and it's your job to be as enthusiastic and personable as possible. You know - if the partner mentions having a cat, make a comment about your pet or how you really wanted one; if he/she has interesting desk toys, compliment him/her.

I didn't get any hard questions so I think they're looking for fun, friendly people they look forward to seeing again in the summer. And try to say something memorable about your reason for wanting to work with that firm or your drive/ambition/skills with each interviewer so they can have something to say to the hiring committee when they make their case for why you should be hired.

As for research - if you know what practice groups the firm is known for and what your interviewers do, I don't know what more you can do.

Good luck!

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:31 pm

If it helps, I had 2 callbacks last year. 1 offer. Don't over-research, or you'll look like a jackass. Have a sense of the work the people you're interviewing with do. Ask questions about their work that will allow for fluid opportunities to talk about yourself.

Good luck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:06 pm

I know someone at my school last year went 1/1 with a V20.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:12 am

2/2. (both very high on V) Do enough research that you can have specific things to say about why you want to work for the firm. zero in on things that they seem to value - i.e. if the firm's web site touts that the attorneys are generalists, mention that, or at least don't say you want to specialize. think of a few specific talking points, but beyond that, you won't remember too much specific info in the moment and i've found that there's no natural way to look at notes during the interviews. it's better to be general than to say something specific and be wrong. so, go in with a few talking points and other than that just ask open-ended questions - why did you pick firm X? why did you go into litigation/corporate? what do you like about the firm/your work?

Edit: didn't say i was 2/2 to be a jackass. but just to give credibility to my advice.

Return to “Legal Employment”