Harvard Law School EIP 2010 Callback Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Harvard Law School EIP 2010 Callback Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:11 pm

You know, I did EIP mainly because of OCS's sale of it as a fun process where you meet lots of interesting lawyers and you could possibly make connections and stuff. I always assumed I'd be going the public interest route - I chose HLS over SLS mainly because of the PSI thing. But, I also thought maybe, just maybe, I could be swayed to firm life, if it was cool enough. So, I took OCS's advice and applied even though I wasn't sure.

Tons of rejections later, and I hate OCS. I would be more happy with my life generally if I hadn't applied at all. Now, I know I didn't work terribly hard at EIP, unlike some people. But, still, it's ridiculous. OCS, if you're reading this, you suck. Never, ever, ever give that BS advice to anyone ever again. I wonder if OCS just does that to guarantee that interview slots are filled so as to increase firms' desire to pay the registration fees, which seem awfully high for a school that's supposedly concerned about the career prospects of its students...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:19 pm

Wilmer Boston ding akin dc ding. I thought both interviews went super well so maybe I just have no clue. Median.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:32 pm

Baker & McKenzie DC callback via email just now

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:12 pm

Yeah, I thought my akin gump dc interview went pretty well, too (dinged). Guess I should've mentioned the fact that I know one of the equity partners. But, that just seems... dirty.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Skadden NY?

Heard back from Skadden NY on Friday of last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You know, I did EIP mainly because of OCS's sale of it as a fun process where you meet lots of interesting lawyers and you could possibly make connections and stuff. I always assumed I'd be going the public interest route - I chose HLS over SLS mainly because of the PSI thing. But, I also thought maybe, just maybe, I could be swayed to firm life, if it was cool enough. So, I took OCS's advice and applied even though I wasn't sure.

Tons of rejections later, and I hate OCS. I would be more happy with my life generally if I hadn't applied at all. Now, I know I didn't work terribly hard at EIP, unlike some people. But, still, it's ridiculous. OCS, if you're reading this, you suck. Never, ever, ever give that BS advice to anyone ever again. I wonder if OCS just does that to guarantee that interview slots are filled so as to increase firms' desire to pay the registration fees, which seem awfully high for a school that's supposedly concerned about the career prospects of its students...

While I definitely think OCS is far from the most effective career-service guide I've ever seen, I think their encouragement of us to participate in EIP was well-meaning. The private sector isn't for everybody. But the legal economy as a whole has suffered a lot, and that extends to the public sector as well. I think they promoted EIP so much in part so as to maximize the chances that everybody has some sort of job this summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:You know, I did EIP mainly because of OCS's sale of it as a fun process where you meet lots of interesting lawyers and you could possibly make connections and stuff. I always assumed I'd be going the public interest route - I chose HLS over SLS mainly because of the PSI thing. But, I also thought maybe, just maybe, I could be swayed to firm life, if it was cool enough. So, I took OCS's advice and applied even though I wasn't sure.

While I definitely think OCS is far from the most effective career-service guide I've ever seen, I think their encouragement of us to participate in EIP was well-meaning. The private sector isn't for everybody. But the legal economy as a whole has suffered a lot, and that extends to the public sector as well. I think they promoted EIP so much in part so as to maximize the chances that everybody has some sort of job this summer.

I think the issue was that they weren't exactly forthcoming with how difficult some markets were to break into. I mean we had an 8 hour orientation for this bullshit, they could have mentioned that NY was way safer than anywhere else. And then after the fact, they've been of no help. They've told me its to early in the process to start panicking. So do I panic in the middle of October, when I have no job offer and everyone's summer class is already filled?

And furthermore, this shit is degrading an a real ego blow if you do poorly in the process. I mean I feel worthless and don't even want to start classes.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:49 pm

Anyone hear from O'Melveny Century City? Drinks invitation. No word yet.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:08 pm

Does anybody know how the hell to get a human at Paul Weiss recruiting on the phone to schedule a callback? I've called 10+ times since last Friday, no one has ever answered, and I've left a couple voicemails that were never returned. I've talked to people both here and at other schools with the same problem.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anybody know how the hell to get a human at Paul Weiss recruiting on the phone to schedule a callback? I've called 10+ times since last Friday, no one has ever answered, and I've left a couple voicemails that were never returned. I've talked to people both here and at other schools with the same problem.

No, but you are making me feel a lot better about procrastinating on calling them.

When I was looking at summer 1L programs last year I sent their recruiting department an e-mail. I thought they were just being assholes by not responding, but apparently it was just because the recruiting apartment doesn't exist.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I think the issue was that they weren't exactly forthcoming with how difficult some markets were to break into. I mean we had an 8 hour orientation for this bullshit, they could have mentioned that NY was way safer than anywhere else. And then after the fact, they've been of no help. They've told me its to early in the process to start panicking. So do I panic in the middle of October, when I have no job offer and everyone's summer class is already filled?

And furthermore, this shit is degrading an a real ego blow if you do poorly in the process. I mean I feel worthless and don't even want to start classes.

Credited. Learning how to accept rejection is a valuable life skill and all, but when you don't have any CBs and some folks have like 10, it's very disconcerting. Particularly when you're above-median, because then you know it's at least partially a commentary on how the folks you talked to dislike you on a personal level...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Well, maybe. If you're just talking internships, this is clearly not true - public sector internships aren't super duper competitive. I mean, most 1Ls manage to get them. Outside of internships, there are some pretty good public sector places (maybe not DOJ/the most competitive ones) where Harvard still means something. I don't think that's as true for pretty good law firms anymore.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:53 pm

Can students receive callbacks from firms on different days because they have different interviewers? Or do all the interviewers from a firm get together, discuss who they are going to offer callbacks to, and then do it all at once/on one day?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Covington DC

Interviewer initials?

EP

Any other Covington DC news?

Indubitably

Postby Indubitably » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Last edited by Indubitably on Thu May 05, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well, maybe. If you're just talking internships, this is clearly not true - public sector internships aren't super duper competitive. I mean, most 1Ls manage to get them. Outside of internships, there are some pretty good public sector places (maybe not DOJ/the most competitive ones) where Harvard still means something. I don't think that's as true for pretty good law firms anymore.

1L internships are super easy to get because it doesn't matter what you do and everyone is happy to take on free helpers. Like law firms, though, it's a goal during 2L summer to get an internship at a place that could hire you (and could afford to hire you) when you graduate, and make connections there to line yourself up a job--and those kind of summer internships are far more competitive.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:01 pm

Indubitably wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Can students receive callbacks from firms on different days because they have different interviewers? Or do all the interviewers from a firm get together, discuss who they are going to offer callbacks do, and then do it all at once/on one day?

Regardless of how firms make the decisions, it is certainly the case that you can have different interviewers make calls on subsequent days. Since the interviewer is generally the person that informs you, and since they are busy people, it is often the case that they don't get around to making the notifications until later. I got a callback from one firm on Monday when most people got calls from that firm on Friday.

(I suppose an alternative explanation would be rolling-basis callbacks, but that seems less likely.)

I know some people received Kirkland NYC last week. I just received it today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Well, maybe. If you're just talking internships, this is clearly not true - public sector internships aren't super duper competitive. I mean, most 1Ls manage to get them. Outside of internships, there are some pretty good public sector places (maybe not DOJ/the most competitive ones) where Harvard still means something. I don't think that's as true for pretty good law firms anymore.

1L internships are super easy to get because it doesn't matter what you do and everyone is happy to take on free helpers. Like law firms, though, it's a goal during 2L summer to get an internship at a place that could hire you (and could afford to hire you) when you graduate, and make connections there to line yourself up a job--and those kind of summer internships are far more competitive.

Public service internships aren't a pipeline into a job, regardless, except maybe at a very few federal agencies. But, for example, working at any federal agency is going to make you a better candidate for that agency's honors program. My point is that a Harvard degree helps both with the internship and the first job at those kinds of public service opportunities.

Working in the state government that has an entry-level hire program would be a similar kind of deal. But, I'll admit that working at, say, a legal service outfit that doesn't hire new people wouldn't be too smart 2L summer, while it's a good opportunity for 1L summer. Ditto for an AUSA's office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:19 pm

I chose HLS over SLS mainly because of the PSI thing.

Really? I'm a big HLS fan, and heavens knows, we have better Public Interest support than most of the other top law schools, but I think this is one area Stanford has us pretty unambiguously beat in (more generous LRAP, better performance in the elite PI placements, and I think even a higher percentage of students doing public interest, although I may be wrong on that last one).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:22 pm

I saw a Hogan D.C. post on here a while ago, did other people hear back from them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I chose HLS over SLS mainly because of the PSI thing.

Really? I'm a big HLS fan, and heavens knows, we have better Public Interest support than most of the other top law schools, but I think this is one area Stanford has us pretty unambiguously beat in (more generous LRAP, better performance in the elite PI placements, and I think even a higher percentage of students doing public interest, although I may be wrong on that last one).

Yeah, but a debt's a debt, and PSI is free money. Well, it includes a commitment, but it's a commitment I'd want to do, anyway. Plus, the public service I want to do doesn't pay so poorly that I would've made up a full year of tuition via LRAP.

Obviously, HLS doesn't have this advantage anymore. If I'd been any year other than 2011/12, I would've gone to Stanford. And enjoyed much better weather...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:28 pm

I know calls have gone out for omelveny sf and mofo sf.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 pm

E-mail ding, OMM LA, just now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from O'Melveny Century City? Drinks invitation. No word yet.

Heard from OMM CC last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:54 am

Plus, the public service I want to do doesn't pay so poorly that I would've made up a full year of tuition via LRAP.

Did you actually run the numbers? I ran the numbers for myself and found that I would actually be better off JUST sticking with LIPP over PSI (and, sadly, that Stanford's LRAP was better than LIPP or LIPP + PSI). I remember feeling super disappointed when I discovered that, as Harvard *looks* better...the sense I get from talking to classmates, though, is that virtually none who have done actual in-depth comparisons have found it to be better in practice. Maybe I'm just cynical about this...I can imagine PSI being better in some rare circumstances (I think it would have been better for me if and only if I managed to find one of the virtually non-existent high paying public interest positions and worked for exactly five years and then moved to private side--if I even worked one year longer or one year shorter, it was no longer best).

Return to “Legal Employment”