Pleasantly surprised by number of callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
radek

Re: Pleasantly surprised by number of callbacks

Postby radek » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:08 pm

christmas mouse wrote:no, it's nothing like that. I see where most of u r coming from, but honestly in this economy even if u are t14 with law review and a huge c*ck to match it's still pretty surprising to receive callbacks from 7 of the top v20 firms in the country especially since I think 5 of those are v10. I know this because as I said I have friends in t14 on law review who only got a callback from 1-2 of those firms. All this haterade reeks of jealousy, which is not a good look for any of us. Be happy for OP and stay positive and maybe we'll get similar results next year at OCI's (1L here).

No jealousy here. I'm just sayin the OP shouldn't be surprised. Besides T14 LR students, who else would you expect the top firms to hire? Bottom 50% TTTers? Let's be real about this. If the OP is a good interviewer, there's no reason why top firms (almost ALL of the top firms) wouldn't give him/her a CB. There's literally no one else with better stats (especially given that the OP has work experience).

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:10 pm

radek wrote:
seespotrun wrote:Terrible analogy is terrible. Tim Tebow should be pleasantly surprised.

Haha... good point.

:lol: But I do agree with everything else that you said.

rcb5142

Postby rcb5142 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:15 pm

Awesome accomplishment, yes, but still a douchey thread. I second the poll. And lol at the 1L.

Postby 12262010 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:16 pm

radek wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:no, it's nothing like that. I see where most of u r coming from, but honestly in this economy even if u are t14 with law review and a huge c*ck to match it's still pretty surprising to receive callbacks from 7 of the top v20 firms in the country especially since I think 5 of those are v10. I know this because as I said I have friends in t14 on law review who only got a callback from 1-2 of those firms. All this haterade reeks of jealousy, which is not a good look for any of us. Be happy for OP and stay positive and maybe we'll get similar results next year at OCI's (1L here).

No jealousy here. I'm just sayin the OP shouldn't be surprised.
Besides T14 LR students, who else would you expect the top firms to hire? Bottom 50% TTTers? Let's be real about this. If the OP is a good interviewer, there's no reason why top firms (almost ALL of the top firms) wouldn't give him/her a CB. There's literally no one else with better stats (especially given that the OP has work experience).

I'm just saying that OP isn't actually surprised at all.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:25 pm

booyakasha wrote:
radek wrote:

No jealousy here. I'm just sayin the OP shouldn't be surprised.
Besides T14 LR students, who else would you expect the top firms to hire? Bottom 50% TTTers? Let's be real about this. If the OP is a good interviewer, there's no reason why top firms (almost ALL of the top firms) wouldn't give him/her a CB. There's literally no one else with better stats (especially given that the OP has work experience).

I'm just saying that OP isn't actually surprised at all.

I was thinking the same exact thing w/o an ounce of jealousy as well. Just more of a "oh yea, well that would make sense for you to be 'pleasantly surprised.'"

Happy for ya OP, congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:37 pm

radek wrote:

No jealousy here. I'm just sayin the OP shouldn't be surprised. Besides T14 LR students, who else would you expect the top firms to hire? Bottom 50% TTTers? Let's be real about this. If the OP is a good interviewer, there's no reason why top firms (almost ALL of the top firms) wouldn't give him/her a CB. There's literally no one else with better stats (especially given that the OP has work experience).

OP again. I'm surprised mostly because my grades are strong (top third) but not stellar (top ten). Because of my work experience, employers don't seem to really care about my grades.

Postby 20160810 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:44 pm

I've spent the last 48 hours wolfing down roughage. Pleasantly surprised by the fact that I pooped today. Thread forthcoming.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
radek wrote:

OP again. I'm surprised mostly because my grades are strong (top third) but not stellar (top ten). Because of my work experience, employers don't seem to really care about my grades.

What you don't seem to be getting is that employers DO care about grades, and yours are good enough to warrant CBs from V20 firms. Your inability to grasp that is pushing you firmly into douche-monger territory. Step away from that ledge.

Action Jackson

Postby Action Jackson » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:51 pm

SBL wrote:I've spent the last 48 hours wolfing down roughage. Pleasantly surprised by the fact that I pooped today. Thread forthcoming.

Please include photo. K thanx.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:42 pm

To OP: congrats. Hope this augurs well for others--that is, me--at OCI. However, as others have pointed out, it's probably not very meaningful that the president of the tautology club is president of the tautology club.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:58 pm

I think talking about how you are a good interviewer is much douchier than talking about your grades. Good grades are a fact, being a good interviewer is totally subjective. However, I think the more OCS related info on TLS the better, so I don't really care if people are douchey as long as they are actually contributing.

bwv812

Postby bwv812 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:17 am

Last edited by bwv812 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:13 am

bwv812 wrote:
Action Jackson wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What you don't seem to be getting is that employers DO care about grades, and yours are good enough to warrant CBs from V20 firms. Your inability to grasp that is pushing you firmly into douche-monger territory. Step away from that ledge.

Top third at a T14 isn't enough to warrant a CB at lots of V20s.

Don't think there's anything wrong with OP's posts; seen lots worse around here.

OP again. My school is strong in the area of law that interests me, and my work experience matches this area. I really think this may be the biggest factor helping me.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:34 am

rcb5142 wrote:Awesome accomplishment, yes, but still a douchey thread. I second the poll. And lol at the 1L.

if we should have a poll in regards to the douchiness of OP it should be followed with a poll about the douchiness of posters keeping it alive to rain on his parade. And lol at the 2L who can't even get a callback from his mother.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 am

I'm going to piggy-back this thread with my own surprise. I'm right at the top 25% @ UCLA/UT/Vandy (I don't know if the other two schools are even having OCI so I may out school, but w/e) and so far I've netted 7 V100 CB's and two more market paying regional firm CB's.

I'm genuinely concerned that I am interviewing out of my league b/c of personality, and my so-so grades will come back to bite me come CB time.

rcb5142

Postby rcb5142 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:51 pm

christmas mouse wrote:
rcb5142 wrote:Awesome accomplishment, yes, but still a douchey thread. I second the poll. And lol at the 1L.

if we should have a poll in regards to the douchiness of OP it should be followed with a poll about the douchiness of posters keeping it alive to rain on his parade. And lol at the 2L who can't even get a callback from his mother.

1L wisdom always cracks me up, but you've gotta love the optimism from you're earlier post. I was once naive about my job prospects too. If you don't have OP's grades and school, then you really don't have too many reasons to be optimistic if you're after BigLaw. What you don't understand is that pleasantly surprising results for OP doesn't mean a thing for you unless you can match his/her very strong credentials. If and when you do, then you can start another douchey thread like OP.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:33 pm

rcb5142 wrote:
christmas mouse wrote:

1L wisdom always cracks me up, but you've gotta love the optimism from you're earlier post. I was once naive about my job prospects too. If you don't have OP's grades and school, then you really don't have too many reasons to be optimistic if you're after BigLaw. What you don't understand is that pleasantly surprising results for OP doesn't mean a thing for you unless you can match his/her very strong credentials. If and when you do, then you can start another douchey thread like OP.

i'm not the slightest bit naive about my job prospects, nor did i ever comment on my job prospects. If "stay positive and maybe we'll get similar results" is what you are referring to then reread that post minus your jaded, douche lens and it might make more sense to you. Look I don't want to argue with you, in fact I should be thankful that you were so savvy to point out the fact that OP's results don't guarantee me a thing, I seriously didn't understand that! Too bad for me, my whole strategy for job hunting relied on voting "Not Douche" for OP and announcing it in bold print on all my cover letters. :(

Edit to include: Burn!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:48 pm

I have 13 callbacks out of 20 interviews so far (only one known ding), all with V50 firms in NYC, 10 with V20. Is that a pleasant situation? Yes. Am I surprised? No. After all, I go to HYS and am not socially awkward.

Call me a douche if you want, at least I'm honest. :)

[Edit]: Typo on "V10", should have been "V20"
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrKappus

Postby MrKappus » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:19 pm

Your style of "active" honesty is also called bragging. Congrats on all your success. Hopefully, paradoxically, it will somehow manage to humble you a bit. But probably not.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:37 pm

Return to “Legal Employment”