Pleasantly surprised by number of callbacks

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Pleasantly surprised by number of callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:26 pm

I applied to mostly vault25 firms, 10 callbacks so far, including Cravath NYC, Skadden NYC, Paul Weiss NYC, Weil, Covington, Kirkland, Sidley.

Waiting to here from WC and a couple others.

Very happy so far.

I am interested in general litigation.

Edited: have work experience in business which I think has helped me. My law school is/has trained me well in my area of interest.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Pleasantly surprised by number of callbacks

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:28 pm

School range/grade range please.

Pablo Ramirez

Postby Pablo Ramirez » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I applied to 13 vault25 firms, was interviewed at all, 10 callbacks so far, no dings. Callbacks include Cravath NYC, Skadden NYC, Paul Weiss NYC, Weil NYC, Covington DC, Kirkland DC, Sidley DC.

Waiting to here from WC and a couple none-v25 boutiques.

Very happy so far.

I am interested in general litigation. Is it worth applying to more v10s? Should I cancel my non-v25 callbacks given the high probability of at least one offer from the v25s?

Sorry about Wachtell

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:34 pm

I didn't apply to Wachtell. I want to do non-m&a-litigation, and it doesn't seem like the place for that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:School range/grade range please.

T14, law review, strong grades, strong pre-LS work experience. I honestly think my pre-LS experience is my huge selling point (most interviews have been about that).

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Should I cancel my non-v25 callbacks given the high probability of at least one offer from the v25s?

Only if all you care about is prestige rankings among new york associates.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:02 am

shmoo597 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: Should I cancel my non-v25 callbacks given the high probability of at least one offer from the v25s?

Only if all you care about is prestige rankings among new york associates.

touché. Definitely not all I care about, but I do care about perhaps lateraling into a government litigation job. I think it would be easiest from a top vault firm. Do you think that's wrong?

awesomepossum

Postby awesomepossum » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:12 am

I'm wondering what the point of this ego thread is. Fishing for complements?

OP, you are so wonderful!

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:31 am

awesomepossum wrote:I'm wondering what the point of this ego thread is. Fishing for complements?

OP, you are so wonderful!

Have to agree. What do you have to be pleasantly surprised about? T14, top of the class, with law review? What the hell did you expect???

If you had shitty grades, from a TTT, and had a shitload of CB's, then it would be worthwhile to give hope to those people out there. But this is basically "I went to the best law school, did the best there, and am doing the best in OCI. Its probably because I have the best WE. FU everyone else"

whyamihere

Postby whyamihere » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:52 am

this has gotta be one of the douchiest threads i've seen in a really long time.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:21 am

this is the first time i'm saying this: why so anon? mods, can we see who the poster is?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:42 am

It's the OP. Sorry if this post seems douchy. I guess I was happy about the results and found the TLS community generally supportive and wanted to share (and I do not want to talk about with classmates for obvious reasons). I now wish I could delete this whole thread in light of people's responses.

In light of the sensitive information in these posts, revealing my identity would be pretty terrible for me.

Mods, if you think this thread is inappropriate please just delete it.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:52 am

Yea would you all really like it if the mods revealed his identity just because he is giddy like a school girl and came off douchy? I sure wouldn't, if they do it to him they can do it to you and me.

OP, that list of firms is impressive. You are wonderful. Now that I have stroked your ego let's turn this topic into something helpful. I'm curious to know what you think worked for you during the interviews because while you have all the necessary credentials those are still some of the top firms in this country and there must have been something consistent in your interviews that made them all leave with a positive impression. I know of a few people with your credentials who interviewed at all those same firms yet ony received callbacks from 1 or 2. Any insight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:00 am

I have: 11 callbacks, 4 rejections, and still waiting on 10 firms - with only top 20% grades at MVP. Callbacks range from V10 to non-NLJ250 but are concentrated in the V25.

Interviewing skills FTW.

FlightoftheEarls

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have: 11 callbacks, 4 rejections, and still waiting on 10 firms - with only top 20% grades at MVP. Callbacks range from V10 to non-NLJ250 but are concentrated in the V25.

Interviewing skills FTW.

Congrats, that's quite impressive. Do you mind elaborating slightly more on "interviewing skills" for those of us who haven't gone through it yet? It seems as though everybody on these boards operates under the assumption that they are pretty a decent interviewer, but what do you think set you apart? Enthusiasm for the interview? Engaging the interviewer to talk about him/herself? Well-focused questions? Other, intangible qualities?

Thanks in advance, and congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:55 am

christmas mouse wrote:I'm curious to know what you think worked for you during the interviews because while you have all the necessary credentials those are still some of the top firms in this country and there must have been something consistent in your interviews that made them all leave with a positive impression. I know of a few people with your credentials who interviewed at all those same firms yet ony received callbacks from 1 or 2. Any insight?

OP here. Thanks for your response. I focus a lot on making it clear how much I like the firm and/or the city (less important for NYC and DC but still important I think, especially with regard to the firms' strength.)

I left a promising job to come to law school. When people ask me why I gave up the work for law school, I focus on the positive aspects of law and law school rather than the negative aspects of my job. This may be obvious that this is true, but I would never say anything negative about a former job, an employer, a professor.

I also try to make light of the situation. I do not have prepared jokes, but I try to make some on the spot. At one of my favorite interview, I was joking with two partners about corruption in the firm and unregulated use of their client's products. If I was joking about marijuana or something, I think it would not have been appropriate because they might have thought it was true. It has to be obvious that it is a joke, but I think that if strong students can demonstrate a good sense of humor, they have made.

I am a lot less douchy and a lot more likable in person, which is also key, I think :)

shmoo597

Postby shmoo597 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:34 am

Honestly OP, I don't think this thread is that douchey. It's good to hear about the success of TLSers, especially ITE.

Postby 12262010 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:

T14, law review, strong grades, strong pre-LS work experience.
I honestly think my pre-LS experience is my huge selling point (most interviews have been about that).

yeah, you must be really "surprised."

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:44 am

What this thread needs is a poll to vote on whether the OP is a douche.

On a more positive note, I have found that interviewing skills and WE seems to be making a much greater difference this year than it had in the past (particularly in a market like NY).

radek

Postby radek » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:44 am

booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I honestly think my pre-LS experience is my huge selling point (most interviews have been about that).

Seriously. Ppl with those stats will always be in demand. Even if Iran starts a nuclear war and the economy falls off a cliff, someone somewhere will still be looking for T14 LR students with strong grades. This is kind of like Tim Tebow signing on to TLS and making a post about how pleasantly surprised he was to get a job in the NFL.

legends159

Postby legends159 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:47 am

TLS is cool about venting but not about bragging? Are we all such cut-throat pessimists who enjoy to see other people fail?

IMO there is nothing wrong with bragging on TLS under a veil of anonymity. I say congrats to OP. The firms you listed have very high callback-to-offer ratio so you should rest easy with them and cancel your other interviews if they're not interesting to you.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:52 am

radek wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Seriously. Ppl with those stats will always be in demand. Even if Iran starts a nuclear war and the economy falls off a cliff, someone somewhere will still be looking for T14 LR students with strong grades. This is kind of like Tim Tebow signing on to TLS and making a post about how pleasantly surprised he was to get a job in the NFL.

Terrible analogy is terrible. Tim Tebow should be pleasantly surprised.

christmas mouse

Postby christmas mouse » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:58 am

radek wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

no, it's nothing like that. I see where most of u r coming from, but honestly in this economy even if u are t14 with law review and a huge c*ck to match it's still pretty surprising to receive callbacks from 7 of the top v20 firms in the country especially since I think 5 of those are v10. I know this because as I said I have friends in t14 on law review who only got a callback from 1-2 of those firms. All this haterade reeks of jealousy, which is not a good look for any of us. Be happy for OP and stay positive and maybe we'll get similar results next year at OCI's (1L here).

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:59 am

If threads were always deleted because of their douchey nature, TLS would be non-existent. To OP, congrats that's an awesome accomplishment.

radek

Postby radek » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:05 pm

seespotrun wrote:Terrible analogy is terrible. Tim Tebow should be pleasantly surprised.

Haha... good point.

Return to “Legal Employment”