interesting observations from callback with v100

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

interesting observations from callback with v100

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:19 pm

1) trash talked rival firm
2) checked e-mail in the middle of my interview, drafted a "quick reply" to someone, basically used 5-8 minutes of my 20 doing his/her own business (blah, whatever, its an employer's market)
3) number 3 in my callback schedule just never showed up to work - was "working from home" - so instead they told me to go to number 4 and just wait outside their office - (fine too, just odd)
4) was told they'd buy me lunch at noon after callback #6, they told me that was not possible anymore bec of a scheduling thing when I showed up (bait and switch!)
5) interviewer #2 mistook me for another candidate, and was reading the wrong resume for the first 3-4 minutes before I corrected him as to where I went to school and what my name was
6) interviewer #1 asked me what other firms I was interviewing with - and I said "a couple of area firms" - the response, "give me names" - awkward?

Anyway, its clear that I have a LOT to learn about callbacks, interviews, etc. etc., none of the above was made up for effect.

Anonymous User

Re: interesting observations from callback with v100

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 pm

Sounds like mistakes were more on their end than yours.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:40 pm

for some of these: newsflash--interviewers have jobs outside of interviewing you know

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 pm

underdawg wrote:for some of these: newsflash--interviewers have jobs outside of interviewing you know

Some of those things are still pretty damn unprofessional.

edcrane

Postby edcrane » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
underdawg wrote:for some of these: newsflash--interviewers have jobs outside of interviewing you know

Trash talking is sort of questionable, but the rest are par for the course. Schedules change and work is sometimes important enough to interrupt an interview of fungible candidate #3781.

underdawg

Postby underdawg » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:

well i did say "some"

complaining about the lunch "bait and switch" is pretty damn dumb

truevines

Postby truevines » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:6) interviewer #1 asked me what other firms I was interviewing with - and I said "a couple of area firms" - the response, "give me names" - awkward?

I've been asked this question several times in my callbacks.
One partner even asked me if my 1L summer firm invited me to come back.
I don't think that's awkward. To the contrary, it's an opportunity to promote yourself and express your preference of this firm over others (even though that isn't true).

But the downside might be that the firm thinks you will take other firms, say V10, over it, and rejects you for yield protection.

Edit: correcting some typos.

Return to “Legal Employment”