A couple of procedural/general questions regarding OCI Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stinger35

Silver

A couple of procedural/general questions regarding OCI

Post by stinger35 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

To any students who have either been through OCI in the past or are going through it as we speak:

I have obviously interviewed at various companies before, but given the unique circumstances that are OCI interviews, I was hoping to get a few general questions answered and avoid as much awkwardness as possible during the next few weeks.

1) Do most students bring a small portfolio into the interview with them? Is it kosher to write down notes/questions about the firm to reference during the interview? Is it common to write down answers to those questions and notes during the interview about the firm?

2) Do you ask for the business cards of each partner at the end?

3) Will they let you know when the time is up?

4) Should you have a writing sample and references ready for each interview and every interviewer even if they have not asked for one previously?

5) If you bring a "packet" for each interviewer that includes a transcript, resume, and possibly writing sample, what kind of folder should this be in?

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions, it would be much appreciated. I know that most of them seem trivial but that is why it has been hard for me to find solid answers on these questions. Thanks.
Last edited by stinger35 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawl Shcool

Silver

Re: A couple of procedural/general questions regarding OCI

Post by Lawl Shcool » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:44 pm

stinger35 wrote:To any students who have either been through OCI in the past or are going through it as we speak:

I have obviously interviewed at various companies before, but given the unique circumstances that are OCI interviews, I was hoping to get a few general questions answered and avoid as much awkwardness as possible during the next few weeks.

1) Do most students bring a small portfolio into the interview with them? Is it kosher to write down notes/questions about the firm to reference during the interview? Is it common to write down answers to those questions and notes during the interview about the firm?

4) Should you have a writing sample and references ready for each interview and every interviewer even if they have not asked for one previously?

5) If you bring a "packet" for each interviewer that includes a transcript, resume, and possibly writing sample, what kind of folder should this be in?

If anyone can answer any or all of these questions, it would be much appreciated. I know that most of them seem trivial but that is why it has been hard for me to find solid answers on these questions. Thanks.

6)
OCI starts next week but I will take a stab at the questions based on how I am preparing.

1) I plan to and haven't heard anything otherwise from other students. Since the interviews are short I wouldn't waste too much time flipping through notes and writing stuff down but CDO and a few attorneys I have spoke with said it is def ok to, if asked a tough question, to take a moment and look at your notes before answering.

2) Also wondering this myself for thank-you card purposes

3) Given the tight timing of the interviews I am sure they will do what they can to stay on-time

4) Yes, I am bringing an updated resume + transcript + 2 writing samples (work and academic). I avoided firms that asked for a cover letter as well.

5) Bring it in the portfolio and disperse it as requested. Pro-tip: use paper clips instead of stapling for ease of scanning.

rcb5142

New

Post by rcb5142 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 pm

stinger35 wrote:To any students who have either been through OCI in the past or are going through it as we speak:

6)
Here's what I have done so far:
1)definitely bring a leather bound portfolio or case to put materials in that they give you, and to hold your documents to give to them. I'm not real sure how interviewers feel about notes referencing and note taking... prepare as much as you can but its not a bad idea to have some notes for tough questions that you can ref in an emergency. Its much better to say "Allow me a second to check my notes, since I did prepare for that question" rather than "hmmm... uh... i... uh..." etc.

2)more often than not they will offer it at the end, but if they don't then definitely ask. It would be bad form not to.

3)They will let you know. Let them end the interview if at all possible. You dont want to look like you're in a hurry to get out of there.

4)I did. I had a good writing sample so I kind of went on the offensive there. I began interviews with "Here's my packet with res, transcript, and a sample, which I am particularly proud of because ..." Even if you aren't crazy about your sample, def keep one hidden away in case they ask. I kept a sheet with references too but no one asked me for it.

5)My packet was in a $1.50 folder from the U. bookstore with the U. logo on the front. I got a couple compliments on the folder - It looks nice and I guess not everyone does this so it shows a little extra initiative.

good luck

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:22 pm

My experience so far (about 10 interviews):
stinger35 wrote: 1) Do most students bring a small portfolio into the interview with them? Is it kosher to write down notes/questions about the firm to reference during the interview? Is it common to write down answers to those questions and notes during the interview about the firm?
Yes, to the portfolio part, and yes it is kosher to write things down, but study up a bit before the interview so that you can just have a conversation. You only have 20 minutes (or some similarly short period of time), so you don't want to waste it shuffling through paperwork. Similarly, I would wait until after the interview to take notes.
stinger35 wrote:2) Do you ask for the business cards of each partner at the end?
I do not, but I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad idea.
stinger35 wrote:3) Will they let you know when the time is up?
Yep, they'll let you know when it's time for you to go. My interviewers have all been conscious of their schedule, but when they continued the interview after the time limit, I've assumed that this was a good sign, or at least that they were not bored by my conversation.
stinger35 wrote:4) Should you have a writing sample and references ready for each interview and every interviewer even if they have not asked for one previously?
Yes. And extra transcripts. And extra resumes.
stinger35 wrote:5) If you bring a "packet" for each interviewer that includes a transcript, resume, and possibly writing sample, what kind of folder should this be in?
Manilla? Honestly, I don't know.

emoticons777

Bronze

Post by emoticons777 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:24 pm

1. As a female, I brought in a professional black purse [briefcase style with shoulder handles, I guess] that was large enough to carry a laptop and at least 25 copies of my resume, transcript, writing sample, and references. I had a folder within my bag where I held those items, and pulled it out at the very end to give the interviewer whatever they requested/an updated resume. I didn't take notes, in retrospect I think it wasn't necessary. The interviews are all so short and really each firm tells you the exact same thing. It would just be a waste of time, if you have something memorable to write down - do it after you leave.

2. Yes, ask for the business card. At my interviews, it turns out that half of the listed interviewers didn't end up being the actual interviewer - get the business card so you know the correct person to send a Thank You to. Most of them will already have their cards out on the table, if not, it is perfectly acceptable to ask them for one.

3. Rarely will an interviewer let you know when your time is up. More likely, you will hear a knock at the door from the next interviewer (at the start of their interview time). From there you should try to wrap it up quickly.

4. You should have a writing sample, references, transcript, and resume available for every interviewer. Most of my interviewers only wanted my transcript, but when I offered my writing sample they were happy to take it. I don't suggest putting everything in packets - because sometimes they just wont want everything. It can't hurt to have a handful of pre-prepared packets though, even if you wont necessarily use them. You might want to have an excess of resumes, in case there is an additional employer that might need one. Also, packets are super-helpful for hospitality suites.

5. It doesn't matter how you packet things, the materials will just be taken out of the packet when they look at them. At very least, you should make sure it is all paperclipped. A folder is nice, but isn't going to get you a call-back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”