Best interview - no CB, no ding though... Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Best interview - no CB, no ding though...

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:18 pm

While I can't complain b/c I had much success during OCI, I have not received a CB from my number 1 choice. The crazy thing is that during the interview I was told that I would be perfect for the firm. I am just really surprised and very disappointed that I have not received a CB. Makes me realize how difficult it is to gauge success of an interview. Not really asking for a response - just venting...

Question though - if its been a week with no CB or ding can I send the interviewer an email reiterating my interest in the firm?

dresden doll

Platinum

Re: Best interview - no CB

Post by dresden doll » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:20 pm

You know, we do have a rant thread somewhere around here.

That said, sorry to hear about your number one choice rejecting you.

Zugzwang

Bronze

Re: Best interview - no CB, no ding though...

Post by Zugzwang » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:17 am

"We're looking for someone with your exact qualifications. Mr. XYZ is our hiring coordinator, you should expect to hear from him in a couple of days."

The weeks pass, the impatience becomes monotony waiting for the phone call which never arrives. Eventually, desperation borne of silence overcomes even the most strong-willed, and at this point, a rejection letter would be more welcome than this interminable silence.

---
Welcome to the club, boyo.

hithere

Bronze

Post by hithere » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 am

Generally, if you haven't heard back within 48 hours of the interview, it's a ding. Sorry man.

Gold

Post by 270910 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:06 am

hithere wrote:Generally, if you haven't heard back within 48 hours of the interview, it's a ding. Sorry man.
No. That depends entirely on the firm and the school.

People get extraordinarily warped perspectives on this. If you're at Columbia and interviewing entirely with NYC firms in the V25, that 48 hour "rule" is probably more or less true. But for an enormous number of other situations and/or schools, it isn't even close to true. Every firm is different, and every firm's relationship with every school is different. Slow/rolling callbacks are much more common than quick turnarounds elsewhere.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

underdawg

Silver

Post by underdawg » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:21 am

i didn't get cb's from what i thought were my very best oci interviews, but did get some from pretty bad interviews i had. happens sometimes. what can ya do.

guessing your grades are fine because you say you're doing well otherwise. sometimes the screener really likes you but can't convince the higher-ups to bend some GPA rule or what not. that's led to a few examples i've heard of basically "you're getting the jerb!" at the screener, with no CB. probably associates overestimating how important their input is on the process lol
Last edited by underdawg on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:50 am

reminds me of my dating days

yellowjacket2012

Bronze

Post by yellowjacket2012 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:53 am

hithere wrote:Generally, if you haven't heard back within 48 hours of the interview, it's a ding. Sorry man.
This is inconsistent with my experience (over a dozen callbacks, none of which came within 48 hours, or even 72 hours for that matter). Range = 3 days to 3 weeks.

The only trend I've gleaned from my experience is that geographic ties matter so much - no matter what your grades are.

mollie

New

Post by mollie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:05 am

If they don't have the courtesy/decency to tell you that you weren't selected, I wouldn't want to work for them anyways. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:06 am

To answer your original question, yes, you can make a quick phone call or send a follow-up email after 1-2 weeks. (according to our career office.) Obviously, don't do this if the firm told you in advance that they take longer than other places because they "evaluate" your writing sample and call your references (i.e. Covington DC, MTO, etc.)

The location of the firms is also very important. I'm interviewing only in California, and while some have gotten back to me already, others have told me directly that they will be traveling from school to school for the next week and won't have a lot of time to evaluate their interviews until they are back in the office.

Gold

Post by 98234872348 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:47 am

disco_barred wrote:
No. That depends entirely on the firm and the school.

People get extraordinarily warped perspectives on this. If you're at Columbia and interviewing entirely with NYC firms in the V25, that 48 hour "rule" is probably more or less true. But for an enormous number of other situations and/or schools, it isn't even close to true. Every firm is different, and every firm's relationship with every school is different. Slow/rolling callbacks are much more common than quick turnarounds elsewhere.
+1

Honestly, just take a quick look at the Columbia EIW thread; people are still getting call backs even 2 weeks after their interviews. Some firms have a whole bureaucratic process that candidates have to go through before being offered a call back.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To answer your original question, yes, you can make a quick phone call or send a follow-up email after 1-2 weeks. (according to our career office.) Obviously, don't do this if the firm told you in advance that they take longer than other places because they "evaluate" your writing sample and call your references (i.e. Covington DC, MTO, etc.)

The location of the firms is also very important. I'm interviewing only in California, and while some have gotten back to me already, others have told me directly that they will be traveling from school to school for the next week and won't have a lot of time to evaluate their interviews until they are back in the office.
big nyc firm so definitely no cb coming. thanks all for the input.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”