Responses for Direct Mailings

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
wordtoyourmother12

Responses for Direct Mailings

Postby wordtoyourmother12 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Greetings TLSers,

I was wondering if some of my fellow future lawyers could post some info about responses to direct mailings.

I've sent out about 75 direct mailings over the past two weeks, a few online (when required), the rest through snail mail.

So far, I have received 15 rejections and only 1 interview. The rest, I assume, are either rejections (most likely) or they just haven't reviewed applications yet.

I've also received confirmations of receipt from about 10-15 firms.

What are your experiences regarding direct mailings?

Thanks.

midwestls

Re: Responses for Direct Mailings

Postby midwestls » Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:21 pm

I sent out 120+ last summer and received about 10 callbacks and 2 phone interviews that did not lead to callbacks. I think it greatly depends on what segment you're targeting - the bulk of my callbacks were with firms outside the top 200 size-wise.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:36 pm

Sent out maybe 75 at the beginning of August (all by email), and got three interview invitations so far as a result (including one today). My cover letters aren't really targetted, but these are all firms that do OCI at my school and firms I would be competitive with. Mostly NYC.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sent out maybe 75 at the beginning of August (all by email), and got three interview invitations so far as a result (including one today). My cover letters aren't really targetted, but these are all firms that do OCI at my school and firms I would be competitive with. Mostly NYC.

You sent your resume to firms that come to your school's OCI? Didn't they wonder why you didn't bid on them?

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:You sent your resume to firms that come to your school's OCI? Didn't they wonder why you didn't bid on them?

I also did this and got interviews before OCI. The early bird gets the worm my friend.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Sent out maybe 75 at the beginning of August (all by email), and got three interview invitations so far as a result (including one today). My cover letters aren't really targetted, but these are all firms that do OCI at my school and firms I would be competitive with. Mostly NYC.

You sent your resume to firms that come to your school's OCI? Didn't they wonder why you didn't bid on them?

We are 100% lottery... just because you bid on a firm doesn't mean you get it. And since they're already interviewing at my school, it's easy for them to schedule an extra interview to see me. So I get stuff I couldn't get through the lottery, and they get to a bit of preselecting.

Return to “Legal Employment”