Reasonable starting salary Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Reasonable starting salary

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:32 pm

I'm trying to make a decision between job offers and would like to hear some opinions based on experience.

Is it reasonable to expect 60-70k as a starting salary straight from law school going into a small firm? The firm has three attorneys. I know that this answer will vary greatly between small firms but I'd like to gauge whether this figure would be in the extreme upper tier of small law firm starting salaries or whether it would be reasonable.

Thank you.

FlightoftheEarls

Silver

Re: Reasonable starting salary

Post by FlightoftheEarls » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:45 pm

Hour expectations? City? Type of practice?

phillylawgrad

New

Post by phillylawgrad » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:04 pm

Very few small firms will pay $60-70k to a recent grad. Most will probably pay ~$35k-50k.

Of course there are small firms that pay more but they are the exception. If the firm you are looking at is staffed with lawyers that have "elite" credentials and/or the firm works primarily on high profile matters (not ID/PI/Collections/Divorce etc.) then you might expect to make more.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Again, all very dependent on the circumstances. We need more info to be able to help you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”