Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby underachiever » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:25 am

.
Last edited by underachiever on Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:31 pm

Has anyone received a callback or been dinged by Katten Muchin?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Veyron » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:25 pm

underachiever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Varily, is it that difficult to get a 1L summer job? I've been holding out for better but perhaps I should accept the one offer I have in hand soon.


I didnt have trouble getting a 1L job. I applied to firms in my local market and judges in that market and NJ. (firms on 12-1 and judges on 1-15). I got 4 firm interviews out of 20 letters and 16 positive responses from judges out of 50.


Paying?

Size of firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:26 pm

Has anybody with a callback at Winston Strawn received an offer?

Action Jackson
Posts: 328
Joined: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:46 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Action Jackson » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
underachiever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Varily, is it that difficult to get a 1L summer job? I've been holding out for better but perhaps I should accept the one offer I have in hand soon.


I didnt have trouble getting a 1L job. I applied to firms in my local market and judges in that market and NJ. (firms on 12-1 and judges on 1-15). I got 4 firm interviews out of 20 letters and 16 positive responses from judges out of 50.


Paying?

Size of firms?

I can't speak for UA, but paying jobs are really tough to come by, unless you're a URM, IP, or some other really weird fit for the job. I didn't get a paying gig, fwiw.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 2:37 pm

Rejected by Steptoe DC today via snail mail.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:58 pm

Anyone hear from Arent Fox?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anybody with a callback at Winston Strawn received an offer?



still haven't heard from Winston. interviewed the tuesday of callback week.

User avatar
War Cardinal
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 11:24 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby War Cardinal » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Arent Fox?


Knock, knock! :wink:

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Arent Fox?


If you're talking about receiving a CB after the screening interview, I was rejected by them over a week ago.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:15 pm

dewey nyc offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:29 pm

What do you think the approx gpa to % of class equation is at penn (since its unpublished). how are you guys guessing this when you list your stats in this forum?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think the approx gpa to % of class equation is at penn (since its unpublished). how are you guys guessing this when you list your stats in this forum?


Well we know 3.3 is approx median (that's what core 1L classes are supposed to be curved to) and beyond that just rumors based on past experience, people have said 3.4 is edging towards top 1/3 etc.

Not sure how others are doing the calculations, especially more precise ones.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:What do you think the approx gpa to % of class equation is at penn (since its unpublished). how are you guys guessing this when you list your stats in this forum?




Median seems to be at or slightly below a 3.3. A- average is probably around top 10%. In between there it seems pretty impossible to know. B+ is the most frequently awarded grade, followed by B, followed by A-, followed distantly by A and B-, so you can base guesses off of that.

User avatar
BendAndSnap
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:53 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby BendAndSnap » Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:20 am

thanks, all

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby underachiever » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:48 am

Veyron wrote:
underachiever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Varily, is it that difficult to get a 1L summer job? I've been holding out for better but perhaps I should accept the one offer I have in hand soon.


I didnt have trouble getting a 1L job. I applied to firms in my local market and judges in that market and NJ. (firms on 12-1 and judges on 1-15). I got 4 firm interviews out of 20 letters and 16 positive responses from judges out of 50.


Paying?

Size of firms?


I didnt get them but I had a shot I guess. From a V50 to 50 person firm.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Arent Fox?


If you're talking about receiving a CB after the screening interview, I was rejected by them over a week ago.


Via email or snail mail?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Arent Fox?


If you're talking about receiving a CB after the screening interview, I was rejected by them over a week ago.


Via email or snail mail?


E-mail.

Edit- I can't remember if they interviewed for NY but I interviewed for DC only.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:53 pm

I know it's late in the game at this point but does anyone know what Vinson & Elkins offices have given CBs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's late in the game at this point but does anyone know what Vinson & Elkins offices have given CBs?

Houston

User avatar
underachiever
Posts: 401
Joined: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby underachiever » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know it's late in the game at this point but does anyone know what Vinson & Elkins offices have given CBs?


I want my VE NYC rejection letter damn it!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:48 pm

Out of the OCI game! Got an offer last Friday from one of my top three choices. The other two rejected after screening interviews. Think it's the best fit of the three.

Slightly below median (3.29), secondary journal, only three callbacks from OCI in two non-NY markets.

But what does that matter? I'm done! :D

Anonymous User
Posts: 273140
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Anyone hear anything (good or bad) from Fried Frank or Baker Botts DC yet? They're my last two chances from OCI.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kurla88
Posts: 370
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:27 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby kurla88 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Out of the OCI game! Got an offer last Friday from one of my top three choices. The other two rejected after screening interviews. Think it's the best fit of the three.

Slightly below median (3.29), secondary journal, only three callbacks from OCI in two non-NY markets.

But what does that matter? I'm done! :D


Congrats! Hope to join you soon...

2009 Prospective
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: Penn OCI

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:13 pm

Edit- wrong thread




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.