Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:21 pm

Veyron wrote:
underachiever wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Don't most people at Penn target NYC tho?

There was tons of DC only, or DC heavy people this year. According to CP&P more people bid on DC than usual.

Hmmm, do people often bid many markets (3 or more) or do they generally keep it to one or two?

From talking to people during OCI, it seems like most people did a couple markets but had a primary market that they were really focused on. I didn't hear of too many folks doing just one market only.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are a few folks (the same couple people) who keep spreading Penn doom and gloom on these boards. The majority of people have numerous callbacks, and some already have offers at this point. This includes below median students.

Most of the doom and gloom seem to have come from folks who targeted DC. But that onslaught isn't Penn specific, its market specific. It's been ugly for me, and my grades are a good bit above median.

On the other hand, pretty much everyone I know that targeted NY has done very well for themselves, even those below median. So I think the target market is enormous.

Oh, and IP people still have it made in the shade.

Thank god, I'll be targeting Phoenix and NYC next year. Fuck D.C. - that miserable pesthole.

As someone below median, I personally did not do well with my NYC screeners -- I have exactly 0 NYC CBs so far. But I wonder if that's because I literally do not have any ties to NYC (even though people don't generally care about them), and more importantly, because I worked in a non-profit position in my home market during my 1L year. I think that does somewhat imply that I'm looking to go back to my hometown. I know a fair number of people who have 0 CBs, and with the sheer number of New York firms that visited Penn this year, it's hard to imagine they didn't pick up at least a few NYC interviews.

A lot of people at Penn end up at NYC because that's historically the easiest market to crack for Penn grads, but more than a few of my friends -- as well as people I'm not particularly close with -- have targeted DC or California while peppering other places. The people I know who have had a lot of success in these markets uniformly have Law Review. I am shocked, SHOCKED that I picked up a DC CB myself. Secondary markets as a whole just kiiiiinda suck this year -- it's not that DC is a "miserable pesthole." All of the secondary market offices have drastically reduced class sizes.

B T Dubs, NO Phoenix offices came to campus this year. There was one firm that advertised it was hiring for Phoenix, but the on-campus interviewer had no idea what people asking for Phoenix were talking about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:32 pm

underachiever wrote:I know top 40% people w/o offers, but with callbacks....and I know people below median (URM and/or work experience) that have had great callbacks and offers (v20).

I spent a few too many bids in DC and went (1 for 6 as of now)

For my NYC bids I got 5 callbacks and took 2, as I already received offers at 2 firms in another market I would rather work in.

Whoa, congrats!!! And you were so nervous about CBs earlier in the thread! I've been at 4 non-NYC CBs and nervously still waiting for an offer. How long did they take to get back to you about the offer?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:There are a few folks (the same couple people) who keep spreading Penn doom and gloom on these boards. The majority of people have numerous callbacks, and some already have offers at this point. This includes below median students.

Most of the doom and gloom seem to have come from folks who targeted DC. But that onslaught isn't Penn specific, its market specific. It's been ugly for me, and my grades are a good bit above median.

On the other hand, pretty much everyone I know that targeted NY has done very well for themselves, even those below median. So I think the target market is enormous.

Oh, and IP people still have it made in the shade.

Thank god, I'll be targeting Phoenix and NYC next year. Fuck D.C. - that miserable pesthole.

As someone below median, I personally did not do well with my NYC screeners -- I have exactly 0 NYC CBs so far. But I wonder if that's because I literally do not have any ties to NYC (even though people don't generally care about them), and more importantly, because I worked in a non-profit position in my home market during my 1L year. I think that does somewhat imply that I'm looking to go back to my hometown. I know a fair number of people who have 0 CBs, and with the sheer number of New York firms that visited Penn this year, it's hard to imagine they didn't pick up at least a few NYC interviews.

A lot of people at Penn end up at NYC because that's historically the easiest market to crack for Penn grads, but more than a few of my friends -- as well as people I'm not particularly close with -- have targeted DC or California while peppering other places. The people I know who have had a lot of success in these markets uniformly have Law Review. I am shocked, SHOCKED that I picked up a DC CB myself. Secondary markets as a whole just kiiiiinda suck this year -- it's not that DC is a "miserable pesthole." All of the secondary market offices have drastically reduced class sizes.

B T Dubs, NO Phoenix offices came to campus this year. There was one firm that advertised it was hiring for Phoenix, but the on-campus interviewer had no idea what people asking for Phoenix were talking about.

-
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:40 pm

Veyron wrote:Squire Sanders? Also, are you saying that going back to PHX to work anywhere but a firm for the 1L is a bad idea if I want to keep NYC options open?

No. I think it was Steptoe & Johnson. And no, but it seems like working in the default option for a lot of people (i.e. clerking for a judge) is a better idea than working for a non-profit located in the city where you're from. A ton of people clerked for a judge this past summer in their hometowns, and it might seem like you're less concerned with building community ties in your home market. But my comment was just based on MY errant personal experience... you really shouldn't read too much into it. I honestly don't know anyone else who worked for a non-lobbying non-profit this past summer who wasn't dedicated to public interest work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:Squire Sanders? Also, are you saying that going back to PHX to work anywhere but a firm for the 1L is a bad idea if I want to keep NYC options open?

No. I think it was Steptoe & Johnson. And no, but it seems like working in the default option for a lot of people (i.e. clerking for a judge) is a better idea than working for a non-profit located in the city where you're from. A ton of people clerked for a judge this past summer in their hometowns, and it might seem like you're less concerned with building community ties in your home market. But my comment was just based on MY errant personal experience... you really shouldn't read too much into it. I honestly don't know anyone else who worked for a non-lobbying non-profit this past summer who wasn't dedicated to public interest work.

Steptoe is a great firm. Hope to hear from them soon!

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Were you looking into Phoenix? If so, can you tell be a bit about the experience. I was thinking about trying to work for the goldwater institute my first summer and I also have an offer at a very small (for profit) firm that does a lot of felonies and capital defense back there as a backup.

Also, you are correct about Steptoe. Their Phoenix section on the website makes me LOL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you looking into Phoenix. If so, can you tell be a bit about the experience. I was thinking about trying to work for the goldwater institute my first summer and I also have an offer at a very small (for profit) firm that does a lot of felonies and capital defense back there as a backup.

Nope, and even if I was, I wouldn't disclose it -- since I mentioned above that I think very people who want to work for a firm this year actually worked at a non-profit last summer. You might want to check in at the "Penn Students Taking Questions" thread instead.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you looking into Phoenix. If so, can you tell be a bit about the experience. I was thinking about trying to work for the goldwater institute my first summer and I also have an offer at a very small (for profit) firm that does a lot of felonies and capital defense back there as a backup.

Nope, and even if I was, I wouldn't disclose it -- since I mentioned above that I think very people who want to work for a firm this year actually worked at a non-profit last summer. You might want to check in at the "Penn Students Taking Questions" thread instead.

You'd think that just targeting Phoenix from Penn would be enough to out you or did that many people from the school interview there?

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
underachiever wrote:I know top 40% people w/o offers, but with callbacks....and I know people below median (URM and/or work experience) that have had great callbacks and offers (v20).

I spent a few too many bids in DC and went (1 for 6 as of now)

For my NYC bids I got 5 callbacks and took 2, as I already received offers at 2 firms in another market I would rather work in.

Whoa, congrats!!! And you were so nervous about CBs earlier in the thread! I've been at 4 non-NYC CBs and nervously still waiting for an offer. How long did they take to get back to you about the offer?

1 day and 4 weeks....

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:58 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Were you looking into Phoenix? If so, can you tell be a bit about the experience. I was thinking about trying to work for the goldwater institute my first summer and I also have an offer at a very small (for profit) firm that does a lot of felonies and capital defense back there as a backup.

Also, you are correct about Steptoe. Their Phoenix section on the website makes me LOL.

Your avatar makes me LOL!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:17 pm

Wow, reading the latest in this thread, I suddenly feel a lot worse about how I'm doing. Median, maybe slightly below. Bid on mostly NYC and had one lonely callback there that I'm pretty sure is not going to work out. Doing slightly better in Philly and my home market (mass mailed) but I wasn't really expecting to strike out in NYC.

Now I'm wondering if there's something seriously wrong with my interviewing. I feel like I'm mediocre at it but who knows. :/ And it's not the sort of thing anyone's going to be honest about.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, reading the latest in this thread, I suddenly feel a lot worse about how I'm doing. Median, maybe slightly below. Bid on mostly NYC and had one lonely callback there that I'm pretty sure is not going to work out. Doing slightly better in Philly and my home market (mass mailed) but I wasn't really expecting to strike out in NYC.

Now I'm wondering if there's something seriously wrong with my interviewing. I feel like I'm mediocre at it but who knows. :/ And it's not the sort of thing anyone's going to be honest about.

Yo, I did like 10 interviews in NYC and didn't get ANY callbacks there. And I definitely know people who have zero callbacks at all. Don't feel so bad so soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow, reading the latest in this thread, I suddenly feel a lot worse about how I'm doing. Median, maybe slightly below. Bid on mostly NYC and had one lonely callback there that I'm pretty sure is not going to work out. Doing slightly better in Philly and my home market (mass mailed) but I wasn't really expecting to strike out in NYC.

It sounds like you have a few callbacks, so I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. It could be much worse, and not everyone will get their first choice market right now. I bid mostly Philly and DC, but didn't get a single callback in either. I only applied to a few firms in other cities and got 3 callbacks between NYC and Boston (2 of them were non-OCR). I would be happy to get an offer at one of those even though they aren't my first choice cities.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

It sounds like you have a few callbacks, so I don't think you have anything to feel bad about. It could be much worse, and not everyone will get their first choice market right now. I bid mostly Philly and DC, but didn't get a single callback in either. I only applied to a few firms in other cities and got 3 callbacks between NYC and Boston (2 of them were non-OCR). I would be happy to get an offer at one of those even though they aren't my first choice cities.

What class of firms are those? V100s? NLJ250s? Also, what are your stats? I'm trying to figure out what my post OCR strike-out moves should be.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:40 pm

Yeah. I'm trying not to be ungrateful and I know people who have done a lot worse. Just worried that I'm underperforming for my grades and maybe not realizing what I'm doing wrong.

Good luck to all of us.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What class of firms are those? V100s? NLJ250s? Also, what are your stats? I'm trying to figure out what my post OCR strike-out moves should be.

The OCR one was V100. From outside OCR, I have callbacks at 1 NLJ250 and 1 smaller boutique firm. I am around top 40% with a secondary journal. I recommend letting everyone know about your situation (family, friends of the family, past employers) - someone might know a partner somewhere, and it can be much more productive than mass mailing or pre-screening interviews like OCR.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:23 pm

Multiple people received Holland and Knight rejection letters today -- they said that a male partner enjoyed her visit with us at the Cornell Job Fair. Thanks, Holland and Knight!

P.S.: I think I take rejection well, but I just think it's irritating that we had to waste our time listening to the interviewer, who was totally behind schedule all day, blab on about himself and talk for the entire interview, and then get such an unprofessional letter.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:25 pm

Veyron wrote:
Anonymous wrote:2 offers at V10's so far - one offer at end of callback day on my way out, and the other by phonecall that night. still waiting to hear from the other 4 i interviewed with this past week. ugh cant believe we have class tmw

aprox rank?

I'm not sure since Penn doesn't rank us... how do you guys all know? I mean I'd say I got good grades and I'm on law review, but I dont think that says much since a fifth of our class is on law review

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:06 am

How's the CA market looking? I only have a couple CA callbacks, focusing mainly on NYC, but wondering whether people have heard good/bad news yet and how fast the news came (heard CA is really slow).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:How's the CA market looking? I only have a couple CA callbacks, focusing mainly on NYC, but wondering whether people have heard good/bad news yet and how fast the news came (heard CA is really slow).

OMM LA made an offer to someone who interviewed last week.

STB Palo Alto rejected a candidate who interviewed last week.

underachiever

Postby underachiever » Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 am

You could suck at interviewing, or not. I mean if you get a job in Philly or home your doing better than 90% of all law students. Your certainly not mediocre. And yes, if I met you on campus I would tell you if you suck at interviewing. (some firms, see most firms this yr, seem to be really into grades and interviewing skills could only get you in once you had the grades).

Median is always tough, I am slightly above and I am still busting ass this year (15 credits) to get my grades up in case I get no offered and need to clerk after graduation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:06 pm

Bump.

Been on 5 callbacks, 1 rejection, no offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:15 pm

Anyone hear of Steptoe or Hunton making callbacks yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear of Steptoe or Hunton making callbacks yet?

I haven't heard of anything from Steptoe, be it a callback or rejection. Also haven't heard of any Hunton callbacks, but there have definitely been some rejections.

Return to “Legal Employment”