Penn OCI

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:25 pm

Looks like an OCI strike out here. Median. Knew it would be bad but didn't think it would be this bad. Thankfully I've got a non-OCI offer. Sigh. Penn =/= money well spent, I guess.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Looks like an OCI strike out here. Median. Knew it would be bad but didn't think it would be this bad. Thankfully I've got a non-OCI offer. Sigh. Penn =/= money well spent, I guess.


has this been typical among the median students at penn? WE/any decent softs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:37 pm

underachiever wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
underachiever wrote:Ya. I have 1 call back and I have done 24 interviews.....


Market? grades?

Despite what many are saying, I don't think this year's OCI is that much better than last year's...


NYC and DC (callback is V50 in NYC); Top 40% + Secondary Journal.
As of now I have more friends w/o callbacks, than with...but I have faith!


Grats on the callback! We just need to rock what we have. Same re: friends, although most of my friends are median or lower. Still, it seems like it's very, very rough for median in any market, including NYC, unless they have good WE. (Not really sure why people are saying NYC is "really easy" right now - I think it might be relatively "easy" for top 25%/20% and upward, but for those above median but not quite there, it's just a few hits here and there.)

Also, this question is for anyone who can answer - Any idea on how to prepare for callbacks?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like an OCI strike out here. Median. Knew it would be bad but didn't think it would be this bad. Thankfully I've got a non-OCI offer. Sigh. Penn =/= money well spent, I guess.


has this been typical among the median students at penn? WE/any decent softs?

It's pretty shitty, yeah. A friend of mine is talking about dropping out and coming back to law school in a couple of years. I'm not sure what if I can come up with a good argument to talk him out of it. Not sure if I even should.

I thought my WE was good. Median is obviously a terrible place to be these days.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Also, this question is for anyone who can answer - Any idea on how to prepare for callbacks?

Buy kneepads and practice with bananas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Looks like an OCI strike out here. Median. Knew it would be bad but didn't think it would be this bad. Thankfully I've got a non-OCI offer. Sigh. Penn =/= money well spent, I guess.


has this been typical among the median students at penn? WE/any decent softs?

It's pretty shitty, yeah. A friend of mine is talking about dropping out and coming back to law school in a couple of years. I'm not sure what if I can come up with a good argument to talk him out of it. Not sure if I even should.

I thought my WE was good. Median is obviously a terrible place to be these days.


sorry to hear it's been rough. best of luck to you.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:49 pm

CB from White Case

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Anyone hear from WilmerHale or Ropes?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:51 pm

Anyone else out there think it's just a little bit too early for all this doom and gloom? 3Ls I've talked with indicated that plenty of CBs went out as late as 2-3 weeks after screening interviews in some cases last year. Sure, I'm feeling a bit nervous like everyone else but I think it's much too early to jump to any conclusions.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else out there think it's just a little bit too early for all this doom and gloom? 3Ls I've talked with indicated that plenty of CBs went out as late as 2-3 weeks after screening interviews in some cases last year. Sure, I'm feeling a bit nervous like everyone else but I think it's much too early to jump to any conclusions.


It depends on the market, but NY offices have a really fast turn-around (24-48 hours).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from WilmerHale or Ropes?


Wasn't WilmerHale today?

I haven't heard from Ropes, but I finally heard from Jones Day secondary market. And got an email rejection from Clifford Chance (no surprise).

Has anyone heard from Stroock interviewer initials CS?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from WilmerHale or Ropes?


Wasn't WilmerHale today?

I haven't heard from Ropes, but I finally heard from Jones Day secondary market. And got an email rejection from Clifford Chance (no surprise).


which jones day secondary market?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from WilmerHale or Ropes?


Wasn't WilmerHale today?

I haven't heard from Ropes, but I finally heard from Jones Day secondary market. And got an email rejection from Clifford Chance (no surprise).


which jones day secondary market?


Sorry, I don't really want to say because there aren't very many applicants for this particular market applying from Penn -- which I think helped b/c I'm below median.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:32 pm

Penn Law Colleagues,

I am at Lauder every day with you all. You all would know me if you saw me. I have the most awful grades imaginable - scrapping bottom would be generous. However, I have 2 CBs to NY firms. Your job isn't to obsess about other's situations. Who knows whether the person with 13 CB's really has any at all. Get in there and sell yourself! Be your own advocate! It sounds cheesy but believe in yourself and others will believe in you. Use every opportunity to talk yourself up. It shouldn't be hard, we all have big egos. Yes, it's tough out there - and I can't tell you how many times I thought about throwing in the towel and going home and not coming back. However, we're Penn students - the cream of the crop. If you believe in yourself - others will too. Best of luck to you all. You all will succeed.

p.s. if for some reason you don't get to a firm job just remember that there are thousands of people out there that desperately need lawyers - and places like legal aid where you could go and make a difference in the world. I promise you that you won't look back at time spent in a public interest organization as a waste of time. I'd bet money - it will be the most rewarding experience of your life. As to loans, there are ways to manage. As much as $160k looks good - there's more to life. I know so many big firm lawyers who hate their lives and many public interest attorneys scraping by who wouldn't swap for the world. Don't buy into the hype. Life is short.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Penn Law Colleagues,

I am at Lauder every day with you all. You all would know me if you saw me. I have the most awful grades imaginable - scrapping bottom would be generous. However, I have 2 CBs to NY firms. Your job isn't to obsess about other's situations. Who knows whether the person with 13 CB's really has any at all. Get in there and sell yourself! Be your own advocate! It sounds cheesy but believe in yourself and others will believe in you. Use every opportunity to talk yourself up. It shouldn't be hard, we all have big egos. Yes, it's tough out there - and I can't tell you how many times I thought about throwing in the towel and going home and not coming back. However, we're Penn students - the cream of the crop. If you believe in yourself - others will too. Best of luck to you all. You all will succeed.

p.s. if for some reason you don't get to a firm job just remember that there are thousands of people out there that desperately need lawyers - and places like legal aid where you could go and make a difference in the world. I promise you that you won't look back at time spent in a public interest organization as a waste of time. I'd bet money - it will be the most rewarding experience of your life. As to loans, there are ways to manage. As much as $160k looks good - there's more to life. I know so many big firm lawyers who hate their lives and many public interest attorneys scraping by who wouldn't swap for the world. Don't buy into the hype. Life is short.


Blatant pro-Penn OCS trolling.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:Penn Law Colleagues,

I am at Lauder every day with you all. You all would know me if you saw me.


What's Lauder?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am

nightmare of 160k of debt with no job can't be dispelled with 2 paragraphs on TLS

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 am

Anyone heard from Hughes Hubbard NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:11 am

I'm median/slightly below, am on a secondary journal and don't have significant WE, but have gotten 3 CBs so don't give up hope just because you don't have great grades. You really can sell the other great things about yourself!

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:22 am

CB from Fried Frank today

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:24 am

You all need to go to sleep so you can dominate tomorrow. Seriously. Chin up! Just believe that they would be lucky to have you. If you can actually achieve this mentality, you will rock out.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:CB from Fried Frank today


Which office?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CB from Fried Frank today


Which office?


NY

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm median/slightly below, am on a secondary journal and don't have significant WE, but have gotten 3 CBs so don't give up hope just because you don't have great grades. You really can sell the other great things about yourself!

What markets?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273454
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Penn OCI

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm median/slightly below, am on a secondary journal and don't have significant WE, but have gotten 3 CBs so don't give up hope just because you don't have great grades. You really can sell the other great things about yourself!

What markets?

NYC




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.