Cravath call back

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cravath call back

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:46 am

Is anyone scheduled with them? Does anyone have previous experience with their call back?

I obviously know the facts provided by their recruitment office/website.
Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Cravath call back

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:00 am

Somebody else, a long time ago, wrote:Okay, some random advice:

1. The interview is all day. You probably already know that, but it bears emphasis. You come in at like 10 and you leave at like 6.

2. Their callback-to-offer ratio is low. That is, most callbacks result in offers. It's a long, boring, stressful day, but your odds are good. They're not 100%, but they're better than they would be at WLRK or DPW.

3. You come in and they put you in a waiting room with other interviewees. Periodically, one of the recruiters will come out and take you off to some partner's office. The partner will interview you for as long as he feels like. This typically means 30-60 minutes. There are stories of 2+ hour interviews.

4. Because there are no set times for interviews, it's kind of an inefficient day. This means: (a) when the partner is done, he'll call the recruiter to come get you. She'll take 10 minutes, for some reason, which means that you've got like 10 minutes to kill with a partner who has already decided that he's done interviewing you. My advice: watch SportsCenter before you show up. You'll need filler. Also, (b), when the recruiter comes, she'll take you back to the waiting room while she tries to schedule you with another interview. So you'll sit and wait, sometimes for a long time, with other interviewees. It's kind of weird.

5. Most or all of your interviewers will be partners, maybe some senior associates. You'll go to lunch with two junior associates.

6. Like all callbacks, the interviews will be a mixed bag. Expect them to be slightly more challenging than the typical callback, but nothing qualitatively different. It's mostly small-talk, but some partners do like to actually ask people questions.

7. At the end of the day, you'll meet with the hiring partner. Ideally, he will have spoken to all of your interviewers and will give you an offer. Sometimes, he won't have been able to talk to them all, and so he won't be able to give you an offer on the spot. This is not necessarily a polite ding: people do regularly get offers the next day.

8. Talk about how much you love the Cravath System. They like that.

'Grats on the callback. The one thing I'd recommend keeping in your mind is that they make you pick corp or lit even before your an SA, so try to banish all thoughts of uncertainty from your mind. Most other firms have sampling or rotational programs to help you figure out what you want, but Cravath doesn't - which means your questions/answers probably have to be a bit different from others. I learned this the hard way in my interview, lol.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:22 am

All things I knew but still very helpful. Thanks. First call back at a v5 is nerve racking.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:09 am

school range? grade range? thx and gl!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:21 am

YHS 2L here. I have my CB interview with them next week. One of three with a V5 but Cravath is probably my third choice because of its "sweatshop" reputation. I want to be able to drink beer at least once a day outside of the firm, lol. Yet chances of getting an offer is best with Cravath than the other two.

Return to “Legal Employment”