Callback timing / scheduling

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Callback timing / scheduling

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm

So conventional wisdom is to schedule callbacks ASAP. At a law review presentation on OCI at my T14, that wisdom was repeated several times. I was hoping veterans on this board could speak more about the particulars of callback timing, however. I have yet to hear specific anecdotes like "After September 20th, none of my callbacks turned into offers" or anything like that. There are only so many days between now and what seems like late season, and only so many ways to make schedules fit together. Can anybody speak to how late is really "too late"? I'm not asking if I can put callbacks off until October; I just hope people might be able to speak more to particulars.

What (precisely) is "early" and what (precisely) is "late" in this process? is it a 2 weeks window after OCI ends? 4 weeks? 6 weeks? 1 week? I really don't have any feel for it, and haven't seen much discussion out there yet. Thanks in advance.

ahshav

Re: Callback timing / scheduling

Postby ahshav » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:14 pm

No one will be able to give you any hard and fast rules - especially this year. The point is, schedule them as soon as you can - don't go out of town or on vacation - just go and be one of the first people that the firm sees, when their summer class is still wide open.
Last edited by ahshav on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:20 pm

ahshav wrote:No one will be able to give you any hard and fast rules - especially this year. The point is, schedule them as soon as you can - don't go out of town or on vacation - just go and be one of the first people that the firm sees, when their summer class is still wide open.

(not sure why this had to be anonymous).

1) I know they have to be as early as possible. But they can't all be as early as possible if you have to schedule a lot of them, and because of the way the process works, you don't have a perfect amount of control over timing. If you schedule your first 5 callbacks you receive as early as possible, you won't have the capacity to schedule the next 5 "as early as possible." Which begs the question - do you cancel or re-schedule, or can you wait a week? That's what I'm looking for. And the people who've gone through this process in the past should have some more specific information.

2) Having multiple callbacks at this stage is extremely sensitive information, hence the anonymous feature. It's best not to derail these threads about discussions of the usage of the feature, so I won't mention it again. The mods are good about protecting identities in borderline cases and outing people for flagrant abuses, and beyond that it's disruptive to make every thread on this forum a meta-discussion of TLS protocol.

tome

Postby tome » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:04 pm

ahshav wrote:No one will be able to give you any hard and fast rules - especially this year. The point is, schedule them as soon as you can - don't go out of town or on vacation - just go and be one of the first people that the firm sees, when their summer class is still wide open.

Complaining about an anon (other than in a PM to a mod) is frowned upon more than anon abuse. Keep the side comments to yourself.

ahshav

Postby ahshav » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:43 pm

Complaining about an anon (other than in a PM to a mod) is frowned upon more than anon abuse. Keep the side comments to yourself.[/quote]

Sorry - did not mean to turn this into such a big deal, or derail OP's thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:19 pm

I'd like to see some more replies on this thread. I scheduled a callback with skadden yesterday using their online electronic scheduling system, and i chose an available date a month out. i did this because there are other firms higher on my list who i wanted to retain earlier dates for, and also, i just hate missing class and am trying to schedule callbacks during the two days this fall i have no classes to the extent possible.

is this a terrible move? will they interpret my date choice as a sign that i don't care? it'd be nice if firms at least disclosed in a publicly accessible place whether they do rolling offers or whether they take every applicant within their callback period as equals and made decisions in one shot at the end.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 12:01 am

OP here: an interesting data point - Skadden at least must have had all of it's decisions made by "Skadden Offer Day" on September 22nd last year (http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202434061170). No indication it'll happen again, but still finally a concrete marker.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:04 pm

tome wrote:

Complaining about an anon (other than in a PM to a mod) is frowned upon more than anon abuse. Keep the side comments to yourself.

To you maybe. I would say real anon abuse is more frowned upon than calling people out on it.

This is not Anon abuse though, so in this instance complaining about it is definitely worse.

On topic now: early is better, but too early can bite you in the ass. Here is what I mean. You only have 28 days after your first offer to decide if you will take it or not. So once that first offer comes in, you have less than a month to hear back from everyone you are interested in before you have to make a decision on that first offer. If your first offer is also the firm you would accept over anyone else, then great for you, you are done. However, say the first offer is a firm you like, but not as much as firms x, y, and z. If you got that first offer in late August, but could not schedule x, y, or z callbacks until mid september, you may have to decide between giving up a sure offer for the possibility of working at a firm you like more, or giving up on that opportunity in order to secure your offer. Not a position you want to be in.

I would say, schedule all your callbacks as early as you can, but also as close together as you can. I would not spread them out over any longer than a month. If that means pushing your earliest callback up a week to be inline with all the others, so be it. I don't think it is going to make a huge difference with your chances of an offer, and it will help you avoid having to make any incredibly risky gambles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here: an interesting data point - Skadden at least must have had all of it's decisions made by "Skadden Offer Day" on September 22nd last year (http://www.law.com/jsp/article.jsp?id=1202434061170). No indication it'll happen again, but still finally a concrete marker.

I noticed this from last year as well. My skadden callback is scheduled for 9/23, an available date in their online scheduling app, so, make of that what you will... I believe the final available callback date to choose from was 9/24.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'd like to see some more replies on this thread. I scheduled a callback with skadden yesterday using their online electronic scheduling system, and i chose an available date a month out. i did this because there are other firms higher on my list who i wanted to retain earlier dates for, and also, i just hate missing class and am trying to schedule callbacks during the two days this fall i have no classes to the extent possible.

is this a terrible move? will they interpret my date choice as a sign that i don't care? it'd be nice if firms at least disclosed in a publicly accessible place whether they do rolling offers or whether they take every applicant within their callback period as equals and made decisions in one shot at the end.

I'm not even pretending to try to schedule my callbacks around class.

Return to “Legal Employment”