Fordham 2010 OCI Callback Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fordham 2010 OCI Callback Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Personal observations (from a bunch of combined anecdotes): It seems the median student got anywhere from 2 to 5 lottery picks, and one or two preselects. Many people in the top third got around eight interviews, top quarter around twelve, with 15-20+ going to top 10% and/or LR people. Anyone eligible to interview with patent firms had a wider range of options. Consensus is that interviewers seemed very interested in work experience, and those who had been out in the real world a few years had a leg up.

Callbacks have been difficult to predict. From what I've seen, for those without a technical background, top third grades were necessary but not sufficient at most EIW firms. I noticed a lot of emphasis on fit during my own interviews. I do think, contrary to conventional wisdom, that external background factors matter now more than ever. If this all sounds very depressing, that was not my intention. This is meant to be a hopeful and encouraging message, as I do think we've seen some improvement from last year's OCI, and this story is very far from over. Most people I've talked to have heard from fewer than half of their interviewers at this point.

I absolutely agree. I have been so grateful for my past work experience because it's carried many of my interviews. That said though, I'm still highly aware of the possibility that I ultimately won't get an offer. Good luck to everyone and let's hope that the firms we have yet to hear from will be good news!

To the person who got 4 rejections today - I feel your pain, I've gotten 3 between yesterday and today.

I am the person who posted the above, and like the other anonymous user, I am also at four rejections. Eleven interviews total. Do you feel it was your WE and external circumstances that made you successful? I am curious, because I believe mine may be hurting me.

Yes, in my case, I believe WE helped. A lot of my interviewers had highlighted it on my resume and asked me about it right away. It was legal work though, and I think it showed that I've been committed to the legal field for a few years now. Do you think that your WE hurt because it was completely unrelated to law? I can't imagine how it could hurt you unless they think you're not serious about the law or wanting to work for a firm.

Still, my WE obviously wasn't enough - I'm at 6 dings and expecting more. Just hoping it all works out soon.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:35 pm

Mayer brown callback today

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, in my case, I believe WE helped. A lot of my interviewers had highlighted it on my resume and asked me about it right away. It was legal work though, and I think it showed that I've been committed to the legal field for a few years now. Do you think that your WE hurt because it was completely unrelated to law? I can't imagine how it could hurt you unless they think you're not serious about the law or wanting to work for a firm.

Still, my WE obviously wasn't enough - I'm at 6 dings and expecting more. Just hoping it all works out soon.

Same poster as above, and yeah, the WE was unrelated. Some interviewers seemed very surprised that I would transition into law. I hope I allayed their fears. I mean, it is a big change, but it's something I want to do, and I hope I'll get the chance. I am glad things are otherwise going well for you! I wish you more good news on the callback front. If you have some already, you are doing very well.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:Mayer brown callback today

interviewer????

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:45 am

Why does everyone keep talking about the names of the interviewers? They are all running at the same speed on these things if they are within the same office.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Mayer brown callback today

interviewer????

Interviewer JC

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:Why does everyone keep talking about the names of the interviewers? They are all running at the same speed on these things if they are within the same office.

actually in cases where a firm had multiple interviewers come on campus, its been the trend that the interviewers call back when they individually have time (not all interviewers from one firm call back at the same time.) for example interviewer A might call back the same afternoon that the cb decisions were made, but interviewer B might not call back until a couple days later bc of a deal or travel.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:17 am

Fried Frank and Deb snail mail dings yesterday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fried Frank and Deb snail mail dings yesterday

Interviewer's initials from Fried Frank?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Why does everyone keep talking about the names of the interviewers? They are all running at the same speed on these things if they are within the same office.

This has not been the case with many of my callbacks. One interviewer called back over a week later than another at the same firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:28 pm

FF rejection interview initials = JC

thought interview went extremely well too...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:07 pm

bizz-ump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:17 pm

It's a Sunday, lol. I highly doubt anyone is going to have news until tomorrow. (Please let it be good, though!)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:26 pm

has anyone heard from some of the smaller firms?

Otterbourg, Hahn Hessen, Moses Singer, Pryor Cashman??

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It's a Sunday, lol. I highly doubt anyone is going to have news until tomorrow. (Please let it be good, though!)

I got a Skadden CB last Sunday (different school). Phones could ring at any time - though you are correct that news is less likely in the aggregate on a Sunday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It's a Sunday, lol. I highly doubt anyone is going to have news until tomorrow. (Please let it be good, though!)

I got a Skadden CB last Sunday (different school). Phones could ring at any time - though you are correct that news is less likely in the aggregate on a Sunday.

Note to my classmates: the above individual did indeed get a Skadden CB last Sunday, but this person's experiences may very well be unique.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:34 pm

Anyone hear from Kasowitz, Milbank, A&P?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Kasowitz, Milbank, A&P?

I've heard of people hearing from Kasowitz

Same for Otterbourg and Hahn Hessen

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:10 am

sewkis still making calls...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes, in my case, I believe WE helped. A lot of my interviewers had highlighted it on my resume and asked me about it right away. It was legal work though, and I think it showed that I've been committed to the legal field for a few years now. Do you think that your WE hurt because it was completely unrelated to law? I can't imagine how it could hurt you unless they think you're not serious about the law or wanting to work for a firm.

Same poster as above, and yeah, the WE was unrelated. Some interviewers seemed very surprised that I would transition into law. I hope I allayed their fears. I mean, it is a big change, but it's something I want to do, and I hope I'll get the chance. I am glad things are otherwise going well for you! I wish you more good news on the callback front. If you have some already, you are doing very well.

if this poster is around, i'm curious how you attempted to allay their fears? and how did they actually react? i am in a very similar situation (i have enough trouble justifying the move to my friends, let alone an interviewer), and am curious how much trouble this will actually be. my work experience is solid, so just about everyone questions why i'm in law school to begin with

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 pm

bump... still have not heard from a handful of interviewers, including jones day and a&p which were during the first week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:bump... still have not heard from a handful of interviewers, including jones day and a&p which were during the first week.

A&P rejection by email today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:52 pm

More dings today. Who else called on Monday, out of curiosity?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:04 pm

Has anyone heard from V&E?

Timothy Wreck

Postby Timothy Wreck » Mon Aug 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Anyone hear from:

Jones Day
Mintz Levin
Dickstein Shapiro
Proskauer Newark