Fordham 2010 OCI Callback Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Fordham 2010 OCI Callback Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:59 pm

Any news today?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Anyone hear from kramer levin, fried frank or Weil?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:43 pm

Greenberg Traurig callback

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from kramer levin, fried frank or Weil?

nothing on FF.

anyone hear from pryor cashman?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:18 pm

Has ANYBODY here who is between top 1/3 to top 1/2 received a callback or an offer? Is it a given that you must be top 1/3 to get a big firm job from Fordham at this point?

Timothy Wreck

Postby Timothy Wreck » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has ANYBODY here who is between top 1/3 to top 1/2 received a callback or an offer? Is it a given that you must be top 1/3 to get a big firm job from Fordham at this point?

I'm right at the top third, and I've just got one callback so far.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has ANYBODY here who is between top 1/3 to top 1/2 received a callback or an offer? Is it a given that you must be top 1/3 to get a big firm job from Fordham at this point?

great question, and very curious to see some responses

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

i missed the top 1/3 cutoff by less than .5%, no journal, pretty strong WE. i have one call back so far, havent heard from any of my other interviews. the one call back i do have though, i have work related connections at the firm. =T not looking very good...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

i missed the top 1/3 cutoff by less than .5%, no journal, pretty strong WE. i have one call back so far, havent heard from any of my other interviews. the one call back i do have though, i have work related connections at the firm. =T not looking very good...

I posted anon earlier (cb at alston, wiggin, fox rothschild)

I am in the top 25%, but I am literally exactly on the 25th percent, i.e. 3.38. No journal. Not sure how much of a difference firms see between my GPA and that of someone just at the top third really, it doesnt seem like it should be a big difference.

I was disappointed to only get 6 interviews total, but I hardly applied to any firms that the career center designated 3s, so I should have been smarter about that. I have heard back from 4 firms, 3 of them were callbacks, one was not. Still have two to hear from, I'd say only one of them could be a callback if anything.

I know people who have much better grades than me, but are not getting callbacks because their interviews are going poorly. Yes, grades matter, but having great grades doesn't guarantee you anything, and having not-so-great grades doesn't mean you can't get a job even at a big firm. The hardest part (for me at least) seems just getting the initial screening interview. If you can do that (and many can/have through smart use of the online bidding) then you just need to rock the interview by being interesting, confident, and comfortable.

If you are only getting dings from firms than maybe the problem is not your grades as much as your interviewing style, in the upcoming OCI weeks just try to relax during the interviews and just be normal. These recruiters are looking for people that they want to work with, i.e. upbeat and positive people.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:02 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Arnold & Porter or Patterson Belknap?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm

anyone hear anything regarding the more medium-sized firms? Firms such as Mound Cotton etc. Are those firms likely to take longer to reply regarding callbacks?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I posted anon earlier (cb at alston, wiggin, fox rothschild)

I am in the top 25%, but I am literally exactly on the 25th percent, i.e. 3.38. No journal. Not sure how much of a difference firms see between my GPA and that of someone just at the top third really, it doesnt seem like it should be a big difference.

I was disappointed to only get 6 interviews total, but I hardly applied to any firms that the career center designated 3s, so I should have been smarter about that. I have heard back from 4 firms, 3 of them were callbacks, one was not. Still have two to hear from, I'd say only one of them could be a callback if anything.

I know people who have much better grades than me, but are not getting callbacks because their interviews are going poorly. Yes, grades matter, but having great grades doesn't guarantee you anything, and having not-so-great grades doesn't mean you can't get a job even at a big firm. The hardest part (for me at least) seems just getting the initial screening interview. If you can do that (and many can/have through smart use of the online bidding) then you just need to rock the interview by being interesting, confident, and comfortable.

If you are only getting dings from firms than maybe the problem is not your grades as much as your interviewing style, in the upcoming OCI weeks just try to relax during the interviews and just be normal. These recruiters are looking for people that they want to work with, i.e. upbeat and positive people.

aren't u the kid with 2 CBs from non-nyc firms? I wouldnt be too impressed with yourself

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm

yea that's me! I applied mostly to CT firms since that's where I am from. I'm not trying to impress anyone so I don't know why you are so hostile, all I'm saying is that people are complaining about no callbacks and assuming it is their grades, but people should just try to focus on their actual interviewing skills. Once you get in the door and are interviewing with a firm, you probably have some shot there, even if your grades are subpar if you can really wow them. Just be positive

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:21 pm

King & Spalding and Hogan Lovells sent out rejections via snail mail.

nacholibre

Postby nacholibre » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:24 pm

anyone get dinged by cadwalader yet? Haven't heard back, maybe it's snail mail cuz i think people have gotten cbs already

midwestls

Postby midwestls » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:yea that's me! I applied mostly to CT firms since that's where I am from. I'm not trying to impress anyone so I don't know why you are so hostile, all I'm saying is that people are complaining about no callbacks and assuming it is their grades, but people should just try to focus on their actual interviewing skills. Once you get in the door and are interviewing with a firm, you probably have some shot there, even if your grades are subpar if you can really wow them. Just be positive

You didn't come off as trying to impress anyone. People are just letting their stress show.

And I'd much rather be employed in Connecticut than unemployed having adopted a NY-Big-Law-or-Bust approach. Good for you and don't let anybody get you down.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:50 pm

for what its worth, i dont see anyone complaining about no callbacks based on grades (sorry Im not going to go through posts to check!) and i think its completely understandable that people are disappointed in number of callbacks. a student who received a "less than hoped for" number of callbacks is probably already scrutinizing everything from his grades to his interviewing skills to his resume, and while tips are great and well intentioned, sometimes they can be interpreted as "you already know ur GPA sucks, and now on top of that your interviewing probably sucks too" especially under the stress we're all under right now.

and on the flip side, who's to say that being a really great interviewer tips the scale all that much? it seems to me like its much easier to lose a "pre-approved" slot with a bad interview/good GPA than it is to gain a slot that wasn't meant for you with an amazing interview. at some of the smaller firms, maybe - but at a v10-50? i dont know... i think i had some great interviews, but i am NOT counting on the fact that students with a high GPA had bad ones. seems obvious to me that if a firm is choosing between two great interviewees, the one with the significantly higher GPA is getting the offer, barring any game-changing soft factors. i consider that to be facing reality, not complaining...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:57 pm

I posted a little earlier. Does anyone know the protocol for callbacks from mid-size firms? Anywhere from 100-250 attorneys. Do they tend to take longer to get back to you? Thanks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Patterson Belknap CB on monday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Arnold & Porter or Patterson Belknap?

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from kramer levin, fried frank or Weil?

CB from Fried Frank (JC), Patterson Belknap (JL), Weil (JV) on Tuesday,

Also, Latham (RG), Dewey (MF) and Gibson Dunn (CS-D) today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:25 pm

you got the Fried Frank callback on the same day as interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:you got the Fried Frank callback on the same day as interview?

and weil cb on same day also??

mind sharing stats?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:37 pm

I think there may be other factors that prevent callbacks, besides grades and interviewing style. My grades are a little bit above top quarter, I am on a journal, and I bid decently for my rank. I was happy with my number of screening interviews, and had some very enjoyable and informative chats with interviewers, but I am not really expecting callbacks. To explain why would out me very quickly, but I do think I simply don't have the background (education and work experience prior to law school) firms are looking for.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:51 pm

Anyone hear from Loryn from Fried Frank? How about Paul Weiss?

Callback from Kramer Levin (ML)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:you got the Fried Frank callback on the same day as interview?

and weil cb on same day also??

mind sharing stats?

SORRY SORRY, i meant wednesday, 8/25, not tuesday

Return to “Legal Employment”