Y interview you if they're not interested?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
justice4u

Y interview you if they're not interested?

Postby justice4u » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:47 pm

So i had my first OCI interview with one of the nation's largest firms. After asking me "how is law school going?" the interviewer said those dreaded words "So what can i tell you about our firm? what would you like to know?" this is of course the universal ding. I don't get it, i'm top of my class, T15, strong interviewer, so why the ding so early? why even invite me to the interview if the firm already decided that they were not interested. Very frustrating!!!

Black-Blue

Re: Y interview you if they're not interested?

Postby Black-Blue » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:53 pm

Looks like you had a good answer to his question.

"So what can i tell you about our firm? what would you like to know?"

Answer: Why does your firm interview when not interested?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:55 pm

justice4u wrote:So i had my first OCI interview with one of the nation's largest firms. After asking me "how is law school going?" the interviewer said those dreaded words "So what can i tell you about our firm? what would you like to know?" this is of course the universal ding. I don't get it, i'm top of my class, T15, strong interviewer, so why the ding so early? why even invite me to the interview if the firm already decided that they were not interested. Very frustrating!!!

I hate to tell you this, but this is a form of stress interviewing. Some interviewers feel they get a good feel from people based on the questions they ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 6:55 pm

I've gotten callbacks this year in interviews where this was the first question. Automatically assuming this was a ding was an unwise move, and hopefully your actions/words didn't reflect this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:29 pm

+1 to "So, any questions about (firm name)" not being an auto-ding. Some interviewers just really like it as a question.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:39 pm

I hate to break it to you, but if you handle this question like a normal human without cracking under the pressure this is not an autoding but rather an auto-callback. They're asking you this question either because they aren't interested or because they already know your grades/resume warrants a callback and they are just too tired to go through the whole spiel so they figure they'll let you take the lead and prove whether or not you're a good fit. You said you're top of the class so this was basically, "your grades and resume are great, going to give you a callback unless you're weird, so what do you want to know about us?"

The true autoding question is "tell us your greatest weakness" or some boring shit like that because, at that point, they've decided you are so boring you can't even carry a conversation for 20 minutes and they just need to fill time waiting for the next person since most lawyers being sent to interview you aren't going to just sit in silence.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The true autoding question is "tell us your greatest weakness" or some boring shit like that because, at that point, they've decided you are so boring you can't even carry a conversation for 20 minutes and they just need to fill time waiting for the next person since most lawyers being sent to interview you aren't going to just sit in silence.

I got a callback within 12 hours from two enthusiastic partners at the only interview that did '"tell us your greatest weakness" or some boring shit like that.' You can't generalize in this process. Interviewers all have different styles.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:14 pm

I'm not so sure there's an autoding question from interviewers--just autoding responses from interviewees. Don't come off as entitled--especially ITE.

justice4u

Postby justice4u » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:02 pm

Actually, the question did not phase me. On the Contrary, i asked very relevant and good questions about the firm. I figured if they dinged me this early, i'm going to make this guy work for the whole 20 minutes. And he did, he answered every question to every minute detail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:23 am

justice4u wrote:Actually, the question did not phase me. On the Contrary, i asked very relevant and good questions about the firm. I figured if they dinged me this early, i'm going to make this guy work for the whole 20 minutes. And he did, he answered every question to every minute detail.

he wouldn't waste his time answering questions about the firm in detail if he wasn't considering you. the question isn't an auto ding. you should avoid the attitude of making the guy work for it though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:23 am

justice4u wrote:Actually, the question did not phase me. On the Contrary, i asked very relevant and good questions about the firm. I figured if they dinged me this early, i'm going to make this guy work for the whole 20 minutes. And he did, he answered every question to every minute detail.

The question seemed to phase you enough to assume you were being dinged within the first 20 seconds. If you're worried about having firms waste your time then fine, that is a legitimate worry. Many firms interview students they don't actually plan to callback/hire. It's a way of gauging the talent pool of that schools students in that particular class year.
Some firms may realize that you are an attractive candidate to many firms. If you attend a top school where many top firms interview, and your grades are as good as they say, then like the interviewer, you too will have to endure hours upon hours of repetition and redundancy. Maybe, the interviewer wanted to spare you the pain of having to answer, "Tell me your favorite class" for the tenth time.

You obviously went into the interview with a certain amount of expectancy, and anticipated the interviewer grilling you for things they probably already knew based on who you are just on paper alone. By putting you in a position to ask questions about the firm as the opening question they're able to test your level of preparation. Don't assume it's a sign of disinterest. Every interviewer is different and each person will have their own style. That has a lot to do with the caliber of students, the length of the interviews, the time of the day, and how long the interviewer has been doing that job.

If you're as good of an interviewer as you say then your questions about the firm should have been just as interesting as any questions you were able to answer about your law school career/resume.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:27 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've gotten callbacks this year in interviews where this was the first question. Automatically assuming this was a ding was an unwise move, and hopefully your actions/words didn't reflect this.

This x1000. I also had a CB from an interviewer leading off with this question. I would try to view this as an opportunity to ask some great questions and snag a CB rather than an excuse to give up.

justice4u

Postby justice4u » Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:50 am

OP here... I guess the question had an effect on me because it was my first interview and i was expecting different types questions. But i hope you guys are right.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:26 am

+1 to all of the people who have said that this is not an autoding. Over summer, I talked to my hiring manager, and he basically said that he uses this question as a way to make sure that a person is actually interested in the firm. If they ask basic questions that they could have found on the firm website, it shows that a) they weren't interested enough to bother actually going to the site, and b) that they haven't taken the time to think of original questions. If "what can we tell you?" is an auto-ding, I am in trouble because out of about 15 OCIs so far, I have been asked it at 14 of them.

SplitterPride

Postby SplitterPride » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:38 am

Better to get dinged now than four years down the road.

Congratulations you saved yourself a lot of headache and heartache.

Now find that dream girl, make babies and set urself up as a tire salesman in New Jersey.

Return to “Legal Employment”