OCI receptions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
stinger35

OCI receptions

Postby stinger35 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:17 pm

What is the consensus on these things? I have been searching the forums for them but haven't found much (part of that may be that some of the advanced search tools are disabled). I have read both that they are extremely important and that firms won't offer callbacks unless you attend and also read that they likely have no effect on interviews/callback process whatsoever.

Just wondering if there was some sort of consensus or if people have thoughts and arguments that are all over the spectrum? As a transfer student, I am a little weary of attending. I don't categorize myself as socially awkward at all and can be pretty outgoing. However, a weird environment like that coupled with the fact that I literally know zero of my fellow classmates might make for an extremely awkward experience that would actually harm my prospects.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: OCI receptions

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:56 pm

You should attend to be safe. You'll appear uninterested in the firm if you choose not to attend. If you're worried about it being awkward, get their as soon as it starts so that you'll be able to find a member of the firm to talk to. I think as long as you avoid situations where you're standing around by yourself, you'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:47 am

I can only speak personally, but in my case it didn't make much of a difference. I had a screener interview with a firm that was having a reception that same day. I still got a callback the next day even though I did not attend the reception. I can't say that it wouldn't help, and I almost wish I had gone so that I would be able to say I've talked with more people about the firm. But, in regards to just the callback, it didn't seem to make a difference.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:25 pm

I RSVP'd to them just to make myself attend and be safe about it rather than sorry.

Just wondering: 1) what do you strike up conversations about with these people? I honestly am not a socially awkward person but this seems like a socially awkward situation. "So, I'm meeting with you this week...look forward to it?"
2) Are you expected or not expected to have a drink at these things since they are at bars? Just don't want to rock the boat either way

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:33 pm

I went to one yesterday and had a few beers. It wasn't that awkward and all the attorneys were eager to talk and give advice. They were very explicit that they would not be the ones doing the OCI interviews so it was a *bit* more relaxed. I tried to still treat it like an extension of the interview but there was plenty of non-law discussion going on.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:38 pm

Thats good to hear. Hopefully it won't be too bad then. As far as hospitality suites goes, are you expected to go to the firms that you are already interviewing with?

OperaSoprano

Postby OperaSoprano » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:54 pm

stinger35 wrote:Thats good to hear. Hopefully it won't be too bad then. As far as hospitality suites goes, are you expected to go to the firms that you are already interviewing with?

At Fordham, yes. I have been going, anyway, and they tell us to go.

stinger35

Postby stinger35 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:04 pm

Thank you email (or note) to the Recruiting Manager after a reception?

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:06 pm

stinger35 wrote:Thank you email (or note) to the Recruiting Manager after a reception?

Only if she's hot

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:11 pm

I had an interview go terribly wrong last week. First, the position was in my fourth choice locale. I have no connections whatsoever with the city, and I only dropped with that office because it's a V100 firm in the same state where I expect to be licensed. The interviewers specifically asked me why I wanted to come to that city, and I could not muster a respectable response. Then, the hiring partner told me that he'd really like to chat with me some more, and he asked me to come to the reception that evening. I felt like the whole interview had gone poorly, so I blew off the reception. I got a callback from that firm a few days later, and the partner even mentioned in the phone call that he was disappointed that I had not attended the reception.

The receptions are probably important, but I'm not going to pretend like I care about some inane banter just for the sake of a job. If they like me, great. If not, perfect.

Return to “Legal Employment”