ITT we post questions from interviews

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: ITT we post questions from interviews

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:06 pm

I am a Finance & Accounting major, and was asked these 2 questions at 2 different interviews:

Interviewer: Finance major huh? Why aren't you managing some hedge fund somewhere?

Interviewer: Accounting and finance huh? Are you sure you are interested in law?

Also, a few asked how I liked working at my previous employer, a Fortune 25 company. One even asked: "Seems like you have great business experience at [Company] for the past few years. Do you have any intention to return to [Company] in their legal department in a couple of years?"
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 12262010 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:08 pm

what are we supposed to say when asked where else we have CBs? (my friend got this question)

jayn3

Postby jayn3 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:12 pm

booyakasha wrote:what are we supposed to say when asked where else we have CBs? (my friend got this question)

i might go with "Well, I have/will interviewed with [comparable firm X]; can you tell me what sets your firm apart from X?"

otherwise that's just an awkward question all around.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:07 pm

booyakasha wrote:what are we supposed to say when asked where else we have CBs? (my friend got this question)

be honest? if you've got CBs with their competitors, it should make you more attractive. just make sure to also mention why you'd prefer the firm you're interviewing with in your answer. if you don't have any, mention that you're currently in the process of interviewing with peer firms (and then also go into a tangent about why you prefer that firm)

Postby 12262010 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:10 pm

capitalacq wrote:

be honest? if you've got CBs with their competitors, it should make you more attractive. just make sure to also mention why you'd prefer the firm you're interviewing with in your answer. if you don't have any, mention that you're currently in the process of interviewing with peer firms (and then also go into a tangent about why you prefer that firm)

dropping a V10 bomb at a firm ranked in the 70s/80s doesn't seem like a great idea.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:19 pm

booyakasha wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

dropping a V10 bomb at a firm ranked in the 70s/80s doesn't seem like a great idea.

If you have multiple call backs, which someone with a V10 bomb probably would, I'd suggest being discreet about it and just mentioning the firms that are in the same realm as the firm you are interviewing with. If you only have the V10, well, maybe say something like "I have a CB from..." *looks up the V10* "WGM, but I let me tell you why I am attracted to firm X..." That's the best I can think of.

Postby 98234872348 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jayn3 wrote:
mistergoft wrote:Hardest one I've received so far: "tell me about a time when you took an unfavorable position and what the result of taking that position was."

I foresee myself failing to answer a question like this only because the only answers I can think of are very, very dirty.

I don't really understand the question -- what are you supposed to say to something like this? What did you say?

My exact answer was pretty identifying, so I don't think I want to post my answer on a public forum, but I can tell you via pm if you're interested.

rynabrius

Postby rynabrius » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:30 pm

Guerrilla Tactics suggests that the "what other firms are you interviewing at" question (which the c/b question appears to be a variation of) is really an opportunity for you to demonstrate commitment to the region. So, if a Chicago firm asks you about it, answer with a list of other Chicago firms if possible. Then tell them why you prefer their firm, of course. . .

I would be like a deer in the headlights if I got the unfavorable position question.

Thanks for the thread, keep'em coming.

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:32 pm

booyakasha wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

hence "competitors" and "peer firms"

dood

Postby dood » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Last edited by dood on Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 12262010 » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:37 pm

capitalacq wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
capitalacq wrote:

so, you meant "be strategically honest"?

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:38 pm

dood wrote:1. how many babies are born in the US every year?
2. why are manholes round?

having been through consulting interviews in UG i know all the answers to these but if u dont, i suggest googling them. and its only gonna be the top firms or a firm that thinks its a top firm and/or "special". 99% of firms wont even ask anything like to this.

I'd pray for those 2 (along with the airplane weight, etc.)

capitalacq

Postby capitalacq » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:38 pm

booyakasha wrote:
capitalacq wrote:
booyakasha wrote:
capitalacq wrote:be honest? if you've got CBs with their competitors, it should make you more attractive. just make sure to also mention why you'd prefer the firm you're interviewing with in your answer. if you don't have any, mention that you're currently in the process of interviewing with peer firms (and then also go into a tangent about why you prefer that firm)

so, you meant "be strategically honest"?

pretty much. just like when a LS ask you where else you're applying

Postby 20160810 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:34 am

bump for I have some interviews tomorrow

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:42 am

P: Hi so where's your resume?
Me: Um, here.
P: Right, they never gave me your resume.
Me: Oh, I see
P: Right, well, hmm, okay, hmm, what's on your resume then - you've used very tiny font and have a lot of stuff in here, just tell me who you are and why I should hire you.
Me: okay... well......

Postby 20160810 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:P: Hi so where's your resume?
Me: Um, here.
P: Right, they never gave me your resume.
Me: Oh, I see
P: Right, well, hmm, okay, hmm, what's on your resume then - you've used very tiny font and have a lot of stuff in here, just tell me who you are and why I should hire you.
Me: okay... well......

Sounds like that one went well. In a situation like that you just have to hope you're being subjected to some bizarre type of stress interview I guess

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:48 pm

"Apparently, Tupac was killed over someone stealing a chain or something like that. And I didn't know he was supposedly really good friends with Mike Tyson. Do you know much about that?"

Best part: this was a partner interview

Return to “Legal Employment”