OCS listed wrong office for the firm - what to do?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
dresden doll

OCS listed wrong office for the firm - what to do?

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I heavily bid on NYC because I'm not really interested in any other market and received interview with a firm OCS wound up telling us was actually interviewing for their Chicago office. They'd had it listed as interviewing for NYC during our bidding period and didn't realize their mistake until firm pointed it out to them this last Friday, after we'd already been given our bidding results.

As a consequence, OCS informed us to let them know if we still wanted to keep the interview slot.

I'm really annoyed about the mistake but have strong interest in the firm and do not want to lose an interview with them, even if it is for the office I'm not interested in. I am aware, however, that walking in to an interview to inform the interviewer of your interest in the different office is a gigantic no-no.

Is it allright to interview anyway - since having a job in the city I don't care for is infinitely preferable to not having a job and I do like the firm - and send off the resume to the NYC office on my own? Would applying to both offices hurt me? Would it be okay to mention my interest in NYC during the interview anyway since the firm is aware that we all thought we were bidding for NYC when we composed our bidlists? Please advise.

pehaigllleises

Re: OCS listed wrong office for the firm - what to do?

Postby pehaigllleises » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:52 pm

What firm is it and what day? If you don't want to say, would you mind PMing? I'm interested in Chicago firms and I could use more interviews because of my very blocked off schedule.

I do know that they told us that bidding on two offices is fine. It's rational to be interested in two cities. They did warn us against bidding on 3+ offices at the same firm, which, barring usual circumstances, is slightly haphazard. Unless you have an extreme aversion to staying in Chicago, if I were you, I'd keep the interview. I'd send off a cover letter and whatnot to the New York office, and express interest in both offices in the interview (but be sure to mention how excited you are[n't-shhh] on Chicago). But if you want to release it I will take it (so long as it's not the 26th or 27th)...

dresden doll

Re: OCS listed wrong office for the firm - what to do?

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:53 pm

pehaigllleises wrote:What firm is it and what day? If you don't want to say, would you mind PMing? I'm interested in Chicago firms and I could use more interviews because of my very blocked off schedule.

I do know that they told us that bidding on two offices is fine. It's rational to be interested in two cities. They did warn us against bidding on 3+ offices at the same firm, which, barring usual circumstances, is slightly haphazard. Unless you have an extreme aversion to staying in Chicago, if I were you, I'd keep the interview. I'd send off a cover letter and whatnot to the New York office, and express interest in both offices in the interview (but be sure to mention how excited you are[n't-shhh] on Chicago). But if you want to release it I will take it (so long as it's not the 26th or 27th)...

Will pm you. FWIW, I think you're safe even without the additional interview. :)

Return to “Legal Employment”