The "I made a huge blunder at OCI" Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
DerrickRose

The "I made a huge blunder at OCI" Thread

Postby DerrickRose » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:26 pm

So I made little folders of my resume, transcript, and writing sample to give to each firm at OCI, and for one firm that had requested a cover letter in the bidding materials, I included the cover letter. It was the only one of the group of folders that had anything specifically related to a firm (you can see where this story is going).

So after checking to make sure I didn't have the cover letter folder for my first interview of the day, I failed to do so for the second one and, luck of the draw, grabbed the one with the cover letter for a different firm than the one I was interviewing with. The interview went well enough, and I handed them the folder at the end, and it wasn't until I went for my interview with the firm I had intended the cover letter for that I realized my mistake.

The thing that kills me is the idea that maybe those interviewers are sitting back in their office saying "Wow, I really liked DerrickRose" only to open that ticking time bomb of a packet and end my candidacy with one flick of a sheet of paper. Ugh.

Anyone who wishes to one-up that story, and/or laugh at me is welcome to do so.

mikecw23

Re: The "I made a huge blunder at OCI" Thread

Postby mikecw23 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:31 pm

That's rough bro, but I love Derrick Rose and the Bulls so I'm still pullin for ya

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Eek. Sorry to hear that, and good luck to you.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:41 pm

That sucks man, but just FYI its not that uncommon with stuff like this. Your not the first they have seen and won't be the last, people get stressed out and make little mistakles like this all the time in OCI/Mass mailing anytime your sending out a bunch of stuyff. Just good lessoon to learn now, tripple check, but your not the only one even at your school to have done this or soemtjhing like it I bet.

Jarndyce

Postby Jarndyce » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:43 pm

I did a small amount of research on a firm I wasn't really interested in. From their website, I learned that they were a PI firm. Unfortunately, I did not find out until half the way through the interview that they were a PI defense firm. Epic fail.
Last edited by Jarndyce on Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Jarndyce wrote:I did a small amount of research on a firm I wasn't really interested in. From their website, I learned that they were a PI firm. Unfortunately, I did not find out until have the way through the interview that they were a PI defense firm. Epic fail.

oh man, that's sucks, sorry to hear it, but I did laugh out loud when i read that :lol:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:24 pm

OK
Interviewing with a Public Interest organization. Throughout the interview, one of the two women interviewers barely made eye contact and fussed with some paperwork the whole time, only looking up to ask questions. Horrible interview began with "why don't you spend ten minutes telling us about yourself" Ugh
Toward the end, after asking about legal writing experience and my other course work in law school and undergrad, she asked if there was any other experience that would make me successful in the position. Having already exhausted anything I felt relevant, I began a laundry list of things I had done in my prior working experience. I mentioned that I would be able to start quickly having used research programs as well as being familiar with other workplace idiosyncrasies such as multi line phone systems and office equipment....
Aloof interviewer turns to the other and says "Did he really just tell me that he knows how to use a fax machine?"
Utter failure...

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Aloof interviewer turns to the other and says "Did he really just tell me that he knows how to use a fax machine?"
Utter failure...

That interviewer actually sounds like a real prick. He could have kept the snarky remark for when you were outside the ear shot, seriously.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I mentioned that I would be able to start quickly having used research programs as well as being familiar with other workplace idiosyncrasies such as multi line phone systems and office equipment....
Aloof interviewer turns to the other and says "Did he really just tell me that he knows how to use a fax machine?"
Utter failure...

Should have faxed her a thank you note.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:52 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Aloof interviewer turns to the other and says "Did he really just tell me that he knows how to use a fax machine?"
Utter failure...

That interviewer actually sounds like a real prick. He could have kept the snarky remark for when you were outside the ear shot, seriously.

As snarky as people are on TLS you think they change any once they become lawyers, nope. Just think, god help us all, someday, if he does not get disbared first, Waterman could be interviewing someone at OCI.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:54 pm

pandacot wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I mentioned that I would be able to start quickly having used research programs as well as being familiar with other workplace idiosyncrasies such as multi line phone systems and office equipment....
Utter failure...

Should have faxed her a thank you note.

Winner!!!

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:55 pm

Matthies wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Utter failure...

As snarky as people are on TLS you think they change any once they become lawyers, nope. Just think, god help us all, someday, if he does not get disbared first, Waterman could be interviewing someone at OCI.

I'm certain no one drops the snark when they graduate from LS. That said, it really doesn't cost much to refrain from snarking in the candidate's face in the midst of an interview. She could have snarked all she wanted once he'd left the office.

1ferret!

Postby 1ferret! » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Make with the stories people!!

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 pm

dresden doll wrote:
Matthies wrote:
dresden doll wrote:
Utter failure...

I'm certain no one drops the snark when they graduate from LS. That said, it really doesn't cost much to refrain from snarking in the candidate's face in the midst of an interview. She could have snarked all she wanted once he'd left the office.

That the thing about snarkyness, you can think something snarky, but not post it in a thread, but what is the point? If your snarky in the forest and no one hears it, is it really snarky? The people who are snarky can't keep themsleves from being snarky in public, that's why people refer to them as snarky. If I just think mean things but enever say them, then no one would know of my incredbale gift for snarkyness!

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:21 pm

Matthies wrote:That the thing about snarkyness, you can think something snarky, but not post it in a thread, but what is the point? If your snarky in the forest and no one hears it, is it really snarky? The people who are snarky can't keep themsleves from being snarky in public, that's why people refer to them as snarky. If I just think mean things but enever say them, then no one would know of my incredbale gift for snarkyness!

True, but most people's filter is way stronger in real life than online. I say stuff on here that I'd never say in real life unless someone really pushed me.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:26 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
Matthies wrote:That the thing about snarkyness, you can think something snarky, but not post it in a thread, but what is the point? If your snarky in the forest and no one hears it, is it really snarky? The people who are snarky can't keep themsleves from being snarky in public, that's why people refer to them as snarky. If I just think mean things but enever say them, then no one would know of my incredbale gift for snarkyness!

True, but most people's filter is way stronger in real life than online. I say stuff on here that I'd never say in real life unless someone really pushed me.

Whish is lijkley a bad thing in my view, i say the same shit IRL I do on here, if I say it/write it, I won it. But I think we are gettuing the point that people feel stronger in thier aninimity online and become internet bullies. Not sure that;s good for society. If you won't own it, don't say it, and I said some pretty off color shit on here, but no alts. What's that saying, don't say anything you would not say to somome face? hell i got more respect for the interviewer that's snarky to my face than the one who talks about me when i leave. At least they got ballz, snarky douchbag ballz, but ballz.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:28 pm

I don't think e-snark can be equated with IRL snark in an interview setting. If someone snarks at me on TLS, I won't care one bit. If an interviewer snarks at me during OCI, however, I'll feel pretty bad.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:31 pm

I haven't had OCI yet, but I'm sure I'll be back in this thread next week to share whatever epic screwups I manage to pull then.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:35 pm

Matthies wrote:Whish is lijkley a bad thing in my view, i say the same shit IRL I do on here, if I say it/write it, I won it. But I think we are gettuing the point that people feel stronger in thier aninimity online and become internet bullies. Not sure that;s good for society. If you won't own it, don't say it, and I said some pretty off color shit on here, but no alts. What's that saying, don't say anything you would not say to somome face? hell i got more respect for the interviewer that's snarky to my face than the one who talks about me when i leave. At least they got ballz, snarky douchbag ballz, but ballz.

I always own my snark IRL. That said, context is sometimes key. Snarky as I can be, I'd never mock a candidate in an interview setting. That's just too much.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:36 pm

dresden doll wrote:

I don't think e-snark can be equated with IRL snark in an interview setting. If someone snarks at me on TLS, I won't care one bit. If an interviewer snarks at me during OCI, however, I'll feel pretty bad.

My point it there are some epic a-holes online and in the legal profesion, its attracks people with power issues, I could tell you stroies about some of the epic duchbags partners i've worked for who are in all likleyhood sadits. i'm in no way saying what the interviewer did was not uncalled for, just saying the cross section of assholes i=on TLS is pretty respresntaive of the some people you will meet in the profesion. Not all or most lawyers are dickheads, but the few that are seem to be so epcilly good at it that they tend to outnumber the nice ones in your memroy.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:37 pm

Matthies wrote:Whish is lijkley a bad thing in my view, i say the same shit IRL I do on here, if I say it/write it, I won it. But I think we are gettuing the point that people feel stronger in thier aninimity online and become internet bullies. Not sure that;s good for society. If you won't own it, don't say it, and I said some pretty off color shit on here, but no alts. What's that saying, don't say anything you would not say to somome face? hell i got more respect for the interviewer that's snarky to my face than the one who talks about me when i leave. At least they got ballz, snarky douchbag ballz, but ballz.

That's the point of tact, though. Everyone thinks a lot of things that just aren't polite to say. There's nothing wrong with that, it's how society works.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:39 pm

Matthies wrote:My point it there are some epic a-holes online and in the legal profesion, its attracks people with power issues, I could tell you stroies about some of the epic duchbags partners i've worked for who are in all likleyhood sadits. i'm in no way saying what the interviewer did was not uncalled for, just saying the cross section of assholes i=on TLS is pretty respresntaive of the some people you will meet in the profesion. Not all or most lawyers are dickheads, but the few that are seem to be so epcilly good at it that they tend to outnumber the nice ones in your memroy.

The problem with powerful, talented people is that they're able to get away with stuff other people wouldn't. Some of them don't take advantage of it, but some of them do.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:48 pm

I can't wait to be on the other side of this shit. bwa ha ha.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:58 pm

booyakasha wrote:I can't wait to be on the other side of this shit. bwa ha ha.

And the vicious cycle begins anew.

Postby 12262010 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:59 pm

d34dluk3 wrote:
booyakasha wrote:I can't wait to be on the other side of this shit. bwa ha ha.

And the vicious cycle begins anew.

:mrgreen:

Return to “Legal Employment”