1L Summer Internships Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Royal

Bronze

1L Summer Internships

Post by Royal » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:14 pm

I've got a general question about summer internships for 1L's. I've found some online, mostly government positions, that accept 1L students, but require applications to be submitted between mid August and October. They ask you to include a law school transcript, but obviously as a first semester 1L you've barely even begun your classes by that point and have no transcript.

Do 1L's apply for these positions with just a resume and perhaps UG transcript, and then forward a LS transcript after first semester? What is the general protocol?

Thank you for the help.

Royal

Bronze

Re: 1L Summer Internships

Post by Royal » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:13 pm

Bump.

mattyboy7we

New

Post by mattyboy7we » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Royal wrote:Bump.
If applications are requested before grades come out, then you will most likely have to submit your grades after they come out.

emilybeth

Bronze

Post by emilybeth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:33 pm

I thought, per NALP guidelines, 1Ls weren't allowed to apply for summer jobs until Dec. 1.

vyelps

New

Post by vyelps » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:44 pm

emilybeth wrote:I thought, per NALP guidelines, 1Ls weren't allowed to apply for summer jobs until Dec. 1.
This applies to some law firms, not all employers. Check the requirements for each employer to make sure you comply with their dates.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:06 pm

emilybeth wrote:I thought, per NALP guidelines, 1Ls weren't allowed to apply for summer jobs until Dec. 1.
NALP is volunatry (and you have to pay to adhear to thier guidlines, its kinda of like the BBB). Not all employers, in fact most are not NALP mebers. But your school is. Check the NALP site and the biz's website to see what the procedure is and if they belong to NALP.

NoleinNY

Silver

Post by NoleinNY » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:19 pm

If you don't mind saying, who are they for? (city, state, federal agency, etc.)

Edit: Sorry for resurrecting a dormant thread, but it I am genuinely curious.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:36 pm

As am I.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:47 pm

DOJ has a different time frame.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:48 pm

Royal wrote:I've got a general question about summer internships for 1L's. I've found some online, mostly government positions, that accept 1L students, but require applications to be submitted between mid August and October. They ask you to include a law school transcript, but obviously as a first semester 1L you've barely even begun your classes by that point and have no transcript.

Do 1L's apply for these positions with just a resume and perhaps UG transcript, and then forward a LS transcript after first semester? What is the general protocol?

Thank you for the help.

Send a cover letter and a resume. They know you don't have grades yet. Except for maybe DOJ, it is waaaaaaaay to early to be applying, though.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:08 am

tag

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”