basic callback questions

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
shmoo597
Posts: 301
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:31 pm

basic callback questions

Postby shmoo597 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:33 pm

Basic questions:

How long until callbacks are made? I understand that it varies and is all over the place, but is there a general rule?

Do all firms give you an actual notice/ding if they don't want you? Or is there just silence from them? How long until you can assume that silence = no callback?

If you are given a callback by a firm or office outside your area, are you expected to fly out to the office in question? Do firms comp this, or are you flying out on your dime?

Thanks.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby wiseowl » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:45 pm

shmoo597 wrote:Basic questions:

How long until callbacks are made? I understand that it varies and is all over the place, but is there a general rule?


Answered your own question

shmoo597 wrote:Do all firms give you an actual notice/ding if they don't want you? Or is there just silence from them? How long until you can assume that silence = no callback?


Also no universal rule. I've heard of people getting callbacks 3+ weeks later.

shmoo597 wrote:If you are given a callback by a firm or office outside your area, are you expected to fly out to the office in question? Do firms comp this, or are you flying out on your dime?


Firms pay for flights and hotels if necessary. It's in your interests to keep costs down though.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby LurkerNoMore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 am

shmoo597 wrote:
How long until callbacks are made? I understand that it varies and is all over the place, but is there a general rule?


Nope -- no general rule. Some will get back within 24 hours, some not for weeks.

shmoo597 wrote:Do all firms give you an actual notice/ding if they don't want you? Or is there just silence from them? How long until you can assume that silence = no callback?


I think most will eventually send you a letter (if you did OCI with them -- if you just cold contacted them, then don't count on anything). However this letter oftentimes won't come until they have completely finished their recruiting process.

If other people from your school have gotten callbacks (especially if they interviewed with the same person at OCI), then you can pretty much count on not getting a callback. There are exceptions, but realistically, you are not likely to get a callback unless the firm doesn't get enough people out of their initial round of callbacks.

shmoo597 wrote:If you are given a callback by a firm or office outside your area, are you expected to fly out to the office in question? Do firms comp this, or are you flying out on your dime?


NALP firms will pay for expenses. Usually they put you in contact with their travel department that makes the arrangements. It is generally preferable for firms if you can schedule several callbacks in one trip. One firm becomes the "lead" firm that makes all of the arrangements, and then all of the firms on that trip will split the expenses. The firm will be pretty clear about what its expectations are on this.

LurkerNoMore
Posts: 237
Joined: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby LurkerNoMore » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:06 am

wiseowl wrote:
Firms pay for flights and hotels if necessary. It's in your interests to keep costs down though.


Yes and no.

You don't want to go crazy on your meals, and incidental expenses. However, you also don't want to be a PITA about trying to get the cheapest flight or go out of your way to turn down the hotel they try to book you in for a cheaper one. Firms that do OCI have this down to a science. It's best to just go with the flow and let them set up the travel arrangements the way they are used to doing it. The expenses are less likely to pop up on their radar (assuming you don't do stupid things) than you being difficult in making your arrangements.

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby wiseowl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:12 am

of course, let them guide you when you make the arrangements. i didn't say to the agent "nope, sorry, gotta be this airport, this airline, this time".

i'm just saying don't go crazy on the meals, don't do the $50 full service airport parking, and if they offer you a redeye or a day trip, say "yes ma'am".

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: basic callback questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:13 am

LurkerNoMore wrote:
wiseowl wrote:
Firms pay for flights and hotels if necessary. It's in your interests to keep costs down though.


Yes and no.

You don't want to go crazy on your meals, and incidental expenses. However, you also don't want to be a PITA about trying to get the cheapest flight or go out of your way to turn down the hotel they try to book you in for a cheaper one. Firms that do OCI have this down to a science. It's best to just go with the flow and let them set up the travel arrangements the way they are used to doing it. The expenses are less likely to pop up on their radar (assuming you don't do stupid things) than you being difficult in making your arrangements.

This is simply anecdotal experience, but the firms that flew me out for interviews last year as a 1L used corporate travel agents, so they pretty much took care of it all. And all firms have a preferred hotel or hotel chain.

2009 Prospective
Posts: 236
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby 2009 Prospective » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:08 am

Anyone out there think firms would appreciate it if you offered to stay with family for free rather than staying in a hotel for callbacks?

User avatar
wiseowl
Posts: 1071
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:38 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby wiseowl » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:19 am

2009 Prospective wrote:Anyone out there think firms would appreciate it if you offered to stay with family for free rather than staying in a hotel for callbacks?


actually a lot of schools have programs where you do this and then ask the firm to use the money they would have spent on you to donate to the school's public interest fund.

270910
Posts: 2437
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 9:51 pm

Re: basic callback questions

Postby 270910 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:12 pm

2009 Prospective wrote:Anyone out there think firms would appreciate it if you offered to stay with family for free rather than staying in a hotel for callbacks?


No. You're a grain of sand to them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273234
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: basic callback questions

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:53 pm

What would be the maximum number of callbacks to schedule in a row? I'd have to imagine missing a week straight of school isn't advisable.

User avatar
jchoggan
Posts: 94
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 1:26 am

Re: basic callback questions

Postby jchoggan » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:25 pm

Along the same lines... how soon after contacting students do firms typically schedule the callback? Are firms pretty flexible in working with students' (work) schedules?




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.