Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
NYAssociate

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:17 am

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:28 am

NYAssociate wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any movement at HayBoo Dallas? Been two weeks since screener...

I haven't heard anything from them and neither has anyone else at my school who interviewed (that I know of). My screener was over three weeks ago. Seems strange since all the rest of the Dallas firms are moving and offers are starting to come in.

They have to figure out what's happening with the 1L's from Fast Track first, so that's probably why they're slower.

How does this make sense when other offices have given callbacks? Also, waiting for yield from the Fast Track might limit ability to give offers, but not necessarily at least callback invitations...

I didn't say it made sense. I offered it as a possible reason. But, I forgot, you are the expert on law firm economics, law firm hiring decisions, and, well, pretty much everything related to every law firm in every market across the US. So I defer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:I didn't say it made sense. I offered it as a possible reason. But, I forgot, you are the expert on law firm economics, law firm hiring decisions, and, well, pretty much everything related to every law firm in every market across the US. So I defer.

I don't think that you were being questioned in as much as HayBoo's hiring philosophy was being questioned. I think that this makes sense. It was my understanding that Dallas relied on the Fast Track program more than any other office around the country.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:32 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:That makes sense. Is there a deadline for the Fast Track people to get back to them?

For HayBoo's sake, let's just hope that they pull a very high yield from 1L Fast Track Program. If they do not anticipate to move until after Sept 20, then I'll have to forget about them. I have a couple of offers that are set to expire beforehand.

I'm fairly sure they have at least half of next year's Dallas summer class wrapped up out of Fast Track acceptances (if the summer class next year is similar in size to this, i.e. ~25). And they might yield a few others from Fast Track before the deadline is up. Of the people who've accepted from Fast Track they already have an excellent representation of national schools. I'm sure that if they end up having to fill the rest of the class from local schools, they won't have a problem with that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:24 pm

Has anyone here received a CB or Offer from AK Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:26 pm

Yetter?!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:42 pm

Locke Lord Dallas offer this morning

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:08 am

NYAssociate wrote:
I didn't say it made sense. I offered it as a possible reason. But, I forgot, you are the expert on law firm economics, law firm hiring decisions, and, well, pretty much everything related to every law firm in every market across the US. So I defer.

Not an expert on anything (and never said I was), but apparently you have some issues that you need to sort out with yourself.

I'm just wondering how that was an explanation when other offices also do fast track and they're already further along in the process. Also, you sounded very confident that that was the explanation in your response, so I just wanted clarification (possibly you are an insider? I guess not).

Which other offices do fast track and are farther along? I'll be curious to be enlightened by this.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:

Not an expert on anything (and never said I was), but apparently you have some issues that you need to sort out with yourself.

I'm just wondering how that was an explanation when other offices also do fast track and they're already further along in the process. Also, you sounded very confident that that was the explanation in your response, so I just wanted clarification (possibly you are an insider? I guess not).

Which other offices do fast track and are farther along? I'll be curious to be enlightened by this.

I know someone from V&E that got offered to come back for 2L summer. I'm not sure if it's the same as a fast track, but this person didn't have to go through OCI because they already had their 2L job lined up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:26 am

anyone hear from Locke Houston post CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Weil Dallas CB

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:33 pm

Those who've already gotten CB's from HayBoo - have you gone to those CB's yet? Care to share some insight?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:42 am

I attend a T10 and am targeting the Texas market. During CBs, I regret to say that I have observed a common trait amongst many law students at UT. I have a sensed a real arrogance and altogether lack of respect for other candiates (with a couple of exceptions). My conversations with students from HLS, Chicago, Penn, SMU, Houston and Baylor have been been very collegial and sincere.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I attend a T10 and am targeting the Texas market. During CBs, I regret to say that I have observed a common trait amongst many law students at UT. I have a sensed a real arrogance and altogether lack of respect for other candiates (with a couple of exceptions). My conversations with students from HLS, Chicago, Penn, SMU, Houston and Baylor has been been very collegial and sincere.

Your conversations with students from HLS, Chicago, Penn, SMU, Houston and Baylor have been been very collegial and sincere.

What kind of respect did you expect UT students to show you? I have been friendly to any other candidates that I have seen at callbacks, but I have also been focused on the interviews ahead and not interested in chatting it up with the other students in the lobby.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I attend a T10 and am targeting the Texas market. During CBs, I regret to say that I have observed a common trait amongst many law students at UT. I have a sensed a real arrogance and altogether lack of respect for other candiates (with a couple of exceptions). My conversations with students from HLS, Chicago, Penn, SMU, Houston and Baylor has been been very collegial and sincere.

Your conversations with students from HLS, Chicago, Penn, SMU, Houston and Baylor have been been very collegial and sincere.

What kind of respect did you expect UT students to show you? I have been friendly to any other candidates that I have seen at callbacks, but I have also been focused on the interviews ahead and not interested in chatting it up with the other students in the lobby.

Really, just the courtesy to say hello and smile

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from Locke Houston post CB?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from Locke Houston post CB?

Given that the fact that they had their second mass CB day on Wednesday, September 8th, I would hope that the committee would have met on Friday and that decisions would start going out on Monday. With other offers in hand, I cannot wait all that much longer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:20 pm

Has anyone received an offer or heard of someone else receiving an offer from Akin Gump or V&E?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer or heard of someone else receiving an offer from Akin Gump or V&E?

I think there are reports of V&E Houston but not Dallas.

I had a Akin Gump Dallas CB last week and they said that they were waiting to make decisions until the end of this upcoming week because by then all their CBs will be done.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone received an offer or heard of someone else receiving an offer from Akin Gump or V&E?

I had a Akin Gump Dallas CB last week and they said that they were waiting to make decisions until the end of this upcoming week because by then all their CBs will be done.

Likewise. Did you receive the impression from Akin Gump that they were really not that willing to allow split summers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think there are reports of V&E Houston but not Dallas.

False. I know of at least 2 V&E Dallas offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Likewise. Did you receive the impression from Akin Gump that they were really not that willing to allow split summers?

I don't think anyone is willing to allow splits anymore, but Akin Gump perhaps seemed particularly unwilling to split.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I think there are reports of V&E Houston but not Dallas.

False. I know of at least 2 V&E Dallas offers.

good to know, thanks! Any idea when these people had CBs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't think anyone is willing to allow splits anymore, but Akin Gump perhaps seemed particularly unwilling to split.

I actually got the impression that lots of the TX firms were okay with splits (since it's historically a splitting market). The only problem is that most are first half only. Akin Gump was the only one that said they actively discouraged splits.

Return to “Legal Employment”