Texas Markets - OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've come to believe that out of our nearly 500 posts, there are really only a handful of us. Congrats to all those on this thread that have secured jobs in Texas.
Wouldn't surprise me in the least. We could do a roll call...

1! :)
nonprofit-prophet wrote:Hello all, I'm trying to put your experiences/results into context. Are most of you guys at UT, a T14, or a lower-ranked TX school?
Lower T14 w/ TX roots, about top 1/3, 4-5 yrs relevant work experience.

Ended up w/ 4 offers. Declined V&E Houston (tough to do) for JD Dallas, and decided to split.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:10 pm

DCNG, Top 5%, no Texas ties but was the only place I applied

5 offers, withdrew from 2, rejected at 2

Ended up turning down Big Three offer for national firm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:DCNG, Top 5%, no Texas ties but was the only place I applied

5 offers, withdrew from 2, rejected at 2

Ended up turning down Big Three offer for national firm
Gibson or Weil? Dallas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 pm

So............ There's only 3 of us?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:07 am

Took NYC position over multiple TX offers b/c of NY pay scale

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Took NYC position over multiple TX offers b/c of NY pay scale
Enjoy the CoL disparity, though... :?

Kohinoor

Gold

Post by Kohinoor » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Took NYC position over multiple TX offers b/c of NY pay scale
Wouldn't the lack of state tax in Texas and cost of living disparity make Texas a more financially sound choice at any stage in lockstep?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:09 pm

Either a really subtle joke or an "anon-flame"?

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:16 pm

I've seen the NYC scale from Year 1 ($160k) to Year 8 ($285k). This excludes bonuses. I've not seen the actual lock-step scale in TX. Anyone?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:44 pm

chadwick218 wrote:I've seen the NYC scale from Year 1 ($160k) to Year 8 ($285k). This excludes bonuses. I've not seen the actual lock-step scale in TX. Anyone?
Here is a very popular TX firm if you don't hit 2000 hours.

8 $195
7 $190
6 $185
5 $180
4 $175
3 $170
2 $165
1 $160

Here is that same popular TX firm at 2000 hours (deferred compensation, not bonus as there is a bonus as well)

8 $260
7 $255
6 $250
5 $230
4 $210
3 $185
2 $170
1 $160

Here is another very popular TX firm for TX by tier (it's merit based and not lockstep anymore). This firm's potential bonuses are quite a bit higher, and assuming full bonus and hitting 2000 hours at both the previous firm and this one, you will be making roughly the same amount at either one.

4 $200
3 $185
3 $185
3 $185
2 $170
2 $170
1 $160

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Either a really subtle joke or an "anon-flame"?
No joke. There are other reasons but the NY pay scale, the bigger bonuses, and the fact that moving back to TX from NYC biglaw is easier than the other way around (I think)

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:32 pm

Kohinoor wrote:
Wouldn't the lack of state tax in Texas and cost of living disparity make Texas a more financially sound choice at any stage in lockstep?
Yep. Unless you make partner, the folks in TX will always be making more after tax and COL. So enjoy that.

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I just accepted with JD over both Fulbright and V & E (all Dallas)
Whoever wrote this... if you happen to see it, could you PM me? Thanks!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:05 pm

jchoggan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I just accepted with JD over both Fulbright and V & E (all Dallas)
I took BB over JD, FJ, and VE. Had I not received an offer from BB, I would have taken JD over FJ and VE.

As for FJ, the summer offer rates were far too low. As for V&E, I receive a very poor impression from the folks that I met with (particularly Rob, the hiring partner).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jchoggan wrote:
I took BB over JD, FJ, and VE. Had I not received an offer from BB, I would have taken JD over FJ and VE.

As for FJ, the summer offer rates were far too low. As for V&E, I receive a very poor impression from the folks that I met with (particularly Rob, the hiring partner).
I disliked the hiring partner from VE very much (not sure if it was the same guy). I didn't particularly care for the folks at BB either, but they were tolerable. The older recruiter from JD is insane, brash, and borderline insulting.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jchoggan wrote:

I disliked the hiring partner from V&E very much (not sure if it was the same guy). I didn't particularly care for the folks at BB either, but they were tolerable.
Dallas or Houston? I met with Rob of V&E in Dallas. Immediately after interview me, a very attractive female recruit came in and he was "all over her." His personality seemed to flick like a switch.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Dallas or Houston? I met with Rob of V&E in Dallas. Immediately after interview me, a very attractive female recruit came in and he was "all over her." His personality seemed to flick like a switch.
I had so many interviews, I honestly can't recall exactly. He was a short guy with brown hair and funny ears. Although he seemed quite pretentious, he didn't strike me as the womanizer type, so perhaps we're talking about different guys.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
jchoggan wrote:

I disliked the hiring partner from VE very much (not sure if it was the same guy). I didn't particularly care for the folks at BB either, but they were tolerable. The older recruiter from JD is insane, brash, and borderline insulting.
Kathy? It seemed everyone (myself included) had a really good experience with her. If that is who you're talking about, it's the first negative thing I've heard. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience.

Also, I've heard a few not-so-good things about the V&E Dallas office, but the Houston office seemed pretty put together. That's really unfortunate about the hiring partner. Very unprofessional.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:28 pm

anyone have any experience w/ how accommodating V&E Houston seemed to be for split summers? Or any of the other big 3 firm branches (Dallas/Houston)? I know i read earlier that BB Dallas seemed much more encouraging of splits than V&E Dallas.

just curious -- preliminary research for something that's still a yr off haha

thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:I disliked the hiring partner from VE very much (not sure if it was the same guy). I didn't particularly care for the folks at BB either, but they were tolerable. The older recruiter from JD is insane, brash, and borderline insulting.
With respect to Jones Day, I absolutely loved Kathy. With that being said, I can absolutely say that her personality is indeed unique and it is understandable that she may turn some people off.

The only reason that I didn't accept a position with Jones Day had to do with the fact that they seemed a little less accomodating to my second half split.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I disliked the hiring partner from VE very much (not sure if it was the same guy). I didn't particularly care for the folks at BB either, but they were tolerable. The older recruiter from JD is insane, brash, and borderline insulting.
With respect to Jones Day, I absolutely loved Kathy. With that being said, I can absolutely say that her personality is indeed unique and it is understandable that she may turn some people off.

The only reason that I didn't accept a position with Jones Day had to do with the fact that they seemed a little less accomodating to my second half split.
Actually, well over half of the SAs for JD are splitting next summer. I was nervous about splitting too, but then I found out pretty much everyone else was doing it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 am

does anyone know how texas firms time their offers to SA's? if you spend the first half of your summer with one firm and they give you an offer on your last day, that offer will expire before you finish at the second firm. it would also expire before you get a crack at 3L interviewing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:does anyone know how texas firms time their offers to SA's? if you spend the first half of your summer with one firm and they give you an offer on your last day, that offer will expire before you finish at the second firm. it would also expire before you get a crack at 3L interviewing.
The 28 day rules does not apply to permanent employment. I believe that the deadline is November 1st.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:40 am

Friend just got an offer from BB Houston. She interviewed about a week ago.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:45 pm

Friend just received/accepted an offer from Alston + Bird (Dallas).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”