Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Anybody interview with Patton Boggs?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody interview with Patton Boggs?


I interviewed w/ Patton Boggs for the Dallas office at a career fair in DC. I received a CB, which I eventually turned down.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:37 pm

When did you decline the CB?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you decline the CB?


A month ago or so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Baker Botts Austin office ding via snail mail. Still waiting on Vinson and Elkins Austin office.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?

User avatar
BruceWayne
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby BruceWayne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?


I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?


I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

Oh, I'm sure... I turned them down for a different firm than those. I'm just curious about the particular reasons why people decided to do so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?


I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

Oh, I'm sure... I turned them down for a different firm than those. I'm just curious about the particular reasons why people decided to do so.


I turned one of BB/VE down for a small office of a national firm. I don't care about making partner (I'm doing corporate and want to do 4-5 years and then go in house), I got a much better vibe at the firm I picked, and I heard from a reputable TX source that the exit options would be slightly better from this firm than the Big 3 one I had an offer at. Also, the firm I picked pays on the NY pay scale, which makes for a big difference in pay after the first year or two.

karatenutz
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby karatenutz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?


I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

Oh, I'm sure... I turned them down for a different firm than those. I'm just curious about the particular reasons why people decided to do so.


I turned one of BB/VE down for a small office of a national firm. I don't care about making partner (I'm doing corporate and want to do 4-5 years and then go in house), I got a much better vibe at the firm I picked, and I heard from a reputable TX source that the exit options would be slightly better from this firm than the Big 3 one I had an offer at. Also, the firm I picked pays on the NY pay scale, which makes for a big difference in pay after the first year or two.


Which firms in TX pay NY scale?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Anyone else here considering AK Dallas?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?


I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

LOL at putting Bickel and Brewer w/ Susman, Gibbs, or Beck. Bickel is TTT, despite the mailroom clerks wearing suits.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else here considering AK Dallas?


On a similar note, has anyone heard anything from AK Houston? Just wondering if they are done or not.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:42 pm

any recent movement from v&e houston?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Is there still no word from V&E Austin? Last I had heard they were waiting til everyone interviewed before making offers. Has anyone heard anything, positive or negative, from them?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Weil Dallas offer.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Congratulations. Is it normal in the Texas market for offers to come so late? Or are offers across the board coming in late this year?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations. Is it normal in the Texas market for offers to come so late? Or are offers across the board coming in late this year?


FWIW, I was told by one recruiter this year that firms are being incredibly conservative b/c they simply don't know what the other firms are doing. She indicated that they were at the point where they were handing out offers one at a time. She also indicated that she felt that what she felt were some their prized recruits ended up taking offers in places like NYC instead.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 am

Anyone on here going to BB Dallas? I'm in for the first half. I think that they'll be 10-12 of us.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on here going to BB Dallas? I'm in for the first half. I think that they'll be 10-12 of us.

How about JD Dallas? I'm heading there for the first half...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I will be at Baker Botts Dallas (first half) and Andrews Kurth Dallas (second half). Will anyone be joining me at either of these two firms?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Anyone else heading to LLBL Houston for the 2nd half?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I've come to believe that out of our nearly 500 posts, there are really only a handful of us. Congrats to all those on this thread that have secured jobs in Texas.

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello all, I'm trying to put your experiences/results into context. Are most of you guys at UT, a T14, or a lower-ranked TX school?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273184
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm

T14. Top 15-20%. Splitting b/w BB and AK. 4-5 years of WE. Grew up in and own a house in TX.

I took BB Dallas over JD Dallas, LLB&L Houston, and V&E Houston, and a bunch of non-V10 NY firms.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.