Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chadwick218

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby chadwick218 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:
It depends on the firm. I'd just start by checking their Summer Program FAQ section. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't say anything at all to the NYC firm and just stay very hush about the whole thing.

Probably not the best idea from a conflicts-checking perspective.

Where is the conflict? How is it any different from lateraling?

There could be independence issues and when you start the summer, a firm may require you to disclose any/all conflicts (i.e. working at another firm). Interestingly, the firm that I worked for as a 1L and the firm that I will work for next summer opposed one another in a very large IP/Antitrust case. While this alone will not impair my independence, it is important that it is nevertheless documented.
Last edited by chadwick218 on Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYAssociate

Postby NYAssociate » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:22 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:26 pm

NYAssociate wrote:There may not be a conflict, but firms always have to check and screen you accordingly.

I guess I'm just confused by what we mean by conflict, then.

If I do 10 weeks in NYC, my 4 weeks in TX won't start until after my employment with the NYC firm has ended.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of a firm having to approve where I work when I'm no longer employed by them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
NYAssociate wrote:There may not be a conflict, but firms always have to check and screen you accordingly.

I guess I'm just confused by what we mean by conflict, then.

If I do 10 weeks in NYC, my 4 weeks in TX won't start until after my employment with the NYC firm has ended.

I'm somewhat uncomfortable with the idea of a firm having to approve where I work when I'm no longer employed by them.

He means conflicts wrt client representation.

This comes into play quite a bit in TX when you split between one of the big 3 (BB, VE, FJ) and a boutique (Susman, Gibbs, McKool, Beck, etc.). The big 3 are often often one of the boutiques and so many summers are screened from those cases.

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jaxon05 wrote:Another question: Has anyone heard from JW Austin or San Antonio? I had a screener with them more than a month ago and have not heard one thing from them, although I know a few people who have been dinged from the San Antonio office.

I know at least one person who got a CB and offer from JW Austin, plus several people who got post-CB dings from JW San Antonio. I think JW is done.

Yeah I am sure you're right, it just strikes me as odd that people got dinged so quickly and yet I never heard anything at all from either of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:43 pm

Does anyone know V&E Houston's perspective towards splitting? I know some firms are worse about it than others, but haven't heard much about how disfavorably they view it when they make permanent offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 1:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck. How likely do u think tk merger is?

It's hard to say for sure. However, comments posted on both Amlaw and ATL suggest that talks are indeed very serious. While such a merger makes sense from Reed Smith perspective, I have to believe that any such merger will ultimately be detrimental for the legacy TK firm.

I'd call recruiting.

So does anyone think that it is fair game to back out of an acceptance with TK and accept another offer citing a material adverse change in conditions and reasons for why you accepted TK in the first place?

Do you have a junk e-mail address I could contact you at to discuss this? I am in that position.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:08 am

Orrick and Akin officially call of merger talks this morning. Interesting. I really didn't like this merger anyways given that the culture of these two firms, but my experience, couldn't be any further apart.

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:36 am

I'm a little bit interested in why people always speak of mergers so negatively. Obviously if this were the case, the firms probably would not do it, right?

Or is it really just because it means less hiring of new legal talent due to the overlap in experienced lawyers?

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:05 pm

mlloyd wrote:I'm a little bit interested in why people always speak of mergers so negatively. Obviously if this were the case, the firms probably would not do it, right?

Or is it really just because it means less hiring of new legal talent due to the overlap in experienced lawyers?

Very few law firm mergers are all that successful. It is very difficult to capture synergies in a law firm merger (without reducing staffing).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:14 pm

Anything else from Susman?

Those with Susman offers, when were they received?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know V&E Houston's perspective towards splitting? I know some firms are worse about it than others, but haven't heard much about how disfavorably they view it when they make permanent offers.

Would luv to know about this as well. Has anyone been able to get a 2nd half from them this year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Does anyone know V&E Houston's perspective towards splitting? I know some firms are worse about it than others, but haven't heard much about how disfavorably they view it when they make permanent offers.

Would luv to know about this as well. Has anyone been able to get a 2nd half from them this year?

I ended up taking BB Dallas over V&E Dallas because BB seemed much more accomodating to my second half split. In fact, they openly encouraged splitting with another firm. Alternatively, while V&E certainly permitted splitting, they seemed much less accomodating with dates and suggested that it was important to spend as much time possible at V&E (i.e. at least 8 weeks).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:08 pm

Anymore news on Jones Day Dallas and Locke Lord Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Saw a poster a few pages back who had a CB with the Austin mid-size Clark Thomas & Winters. I did as well, the recruiting coordinator indicated they would hopefully make decisions at the beginning of October. Any word so far?

mlloyd

Postby mlloyd » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:49 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
mlloyd wrote:I'm a little bit interested in why people always speak of mergers so negatively. Obviously if this were the case, the firms probably would not do it, right?

Very few law firm mergers are all that successful. It is very difficult to capture synergies in a law firm merger (without reducing staffing).

I take this to mean it is a per se bad idea. This goes back to my original question though: why would a law firm do it if it is always worse for the firm? I have to think the answer is because law students in general have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to these kinds of things.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anymore news on Jones Day Dallas and Locke Lord Houston?

Offer today for JD... heard there was one more person who declined as well. Still a bunch of pending.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:14 pm

Any more Susman offers? Rejections?

Gibbs & Bruns?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:29 pm

locke houston anyone?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:locke houston anyone?

Nothing here yet. Have they even given out rejections to people? If not, waiting this long to do so is inexcusable. I don't think that is the case though. What could possibly be happening is that they have acceptances outstanding and have to keep them open and on the table for 28 days. Crossing my fingers that after that period, they still have some offers to give out -- although I'm not optimistic about this likelihood.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:55 pm

Dinged at Gibbs & Bruns. Sigh.

Still no word from Susman.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Nothing here yet. Have they even given out rejections to people? If not, waiting this long to do so is inexcusable. I don't think that is the case though. What could possibly be happening is that they have acceptances outstanding and have to keep them open and on the table for 28 days. Crossing my fingers that after that period, they still have some offers to give out -- although I'm not optimistic about this likelihood.

Anybody know when LLBL's second-half summer program starts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Anybody know when LLBL's second-half summer program starts?

Austin LLBL sencond half begins in late june and goes to early august according to the website

jaxon05

Postby jaxon05 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
jaxon05 wrote:So any news about V&E Austin? I know that they are waiting until they have interviewed everyone but I had my CB more than a moth ago so I'm starting to get a little nervous.

I'm in the same position. No word. Will have to contact them this week since I'm running out the clock on some other offers.

Did you or anyone else happen to get a hold of them this week and find anything out?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 8:41 pm

No. (edit: to above poster)

Return to “Legal Employment”