Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm sitting on 4 offers (3 from CBs, 1 from last summer). Here is my reasoning:
I have applied to both TX and NY. All of my TX firms require a split. If I split, I'm going to likely split between the TX one and the firm from last summer, since I have a familiarity with them and they seem more likely to allow it.
If I don't get any of the TX firms, I'll have to decide between the NYC firms. Given that big law is big law basically wherever you go, I'm going to have to do a lot more research, and/or visit the firms again before deciding.
I also want to be able to sit down with all of my offers in hand before making decisions. The last thing I want to do is say no to a firm and then end up regretting it because I did so too hastily.
Umm... dude, all the underlined parts of your posting are pretty damn selfish (and borderline lazy), and the bolded part is false. No firms require a split (though some have 2 6-week programs, if that's what you're referring to).
Look, it's completely understandable that you want to explore your options, but this is a rolling process. Treat it as such and do the research NOW and decline your least favorites so the rest of the kids who are waiting to get an offer from those firms can do so. Also, you will seriously piss off the firms if you are delaying this much and come to see them again before making a decision, especially if you turn them down eventually. This is a big decision, but it doesn't warrant that kind of inaction. Sitting on one offer while waitin to hear from another is one thing, but that is ridiculous.
Selfish poster here:
Yes, some firms require a split. My top choice allows a minimum of four, a maximum of 6. You can't do more. They don't have enough real work to give to a summer to keep them legitimately busy for 10 weeks, and they don't like to give busy work. I'm still waiting for them.
I've informed all the firms of my timeline and none seem to have been angry. It's not my fault NALP changed the process to 28 days. While I'll be using 20 or so days to decide, that's less than half of the previously allotted time. If they're pissed about me taking 20 days to make a decision that will impact the rest of my life, they can shove their offers.
I am researching now, trust me. But that won't change anything. What you don't have sometimes looks more appealing than what you do. There is something to be said for waiting until you can see your whole hand before deciding what to bet.
My offer is open for 28 days and then firms can give it to someone else. I apologize that you don't approve of my pacing, but my slow pace has no real effect on anyone's chances -- it just lengthens their wait time. I suggest you learn patience now, particularly if you're going into big law.
Edit: Also, since my top choice from which I haven't heard DOES require splitting, that forces me to keep at least two offers open (one to split at if I get the job; one to take if I don't get the job that requires splitting). Given that, and given I just received one of the four today, having four offers open hardly seems excessive.
I've informed the firm I'm waiting on of my first deadline (late next week). Hopefully, I'll be able to make a decision by then.
I am also targeting TX and NYC and received 3x as many offers as you did.
Fortunately, I can probably pee further than you.