Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:havent heard back from v&e houston and its been almost three weeks now since my interview. is a ding letter on its way to me?


You may actually be in a holding pattern. This was the case for me at one firm in particular. I interviewed a bit late, they overextended offers, had every intention of giving me an offer, but had to wait for prior offers to decline. I told them "no thanks" because if you really wanted me, you would have given me an offer regardless.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:04 pm

Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Any HB Dallas offers this week?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?

I accepted a 2nd-half offer yesterday...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?

I accepted a 2nd-half offer yesterday...


May I ask when you received the offer?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?

I accepted a 2nd-half offer yesterday...


May I ask when you received the offer?

15th or 16th...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 am

Anyone hear from Gibbs & Bruns?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Has anyone heard from Weil this week?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Gibbs & Bruns?
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Weil this week?
Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from LLBL Houston this week?
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone hear from Gibbs & Bruns?
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Weil this week?
Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.


I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.


I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.


I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


My experience is that they will call and see if you have any questions (kind of a passive-agressive way of saying, "why haven't you accepted yet).

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.


I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


My experience is that they will call and see if you have any questions (kind of a passive-agressive way of saying, "why haven't you accepted yet).

Ya, which gives me comfort, because they've been (almost eerily) silent so far...

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Starting to think everyone's in a holding pattern waiting for the first round of offers to come back. How about this... everybody put up where they have outstanding offers, we can PM each other if we match up w/ preferences, and then call the recruiting departments to swap positions like we're at the NYSE.

That...or just decide to sh*t or get off the pot.


I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


I've made it clear to every firm that has given me an offer that there are still firms I'm waiting on who are moving a bit slower so I won't have an answer for a couple weeks, and that I hope it's not taken to reflect a lack of enthusiasm because that's absolutely not the case.

I did inform G&B that I have offer deadlines approaching, and that I loved my visit so I don't want to act until I've heard from them.

I hope other people don't wanna wait. Less competition. I'd accept a G&B offer immediately.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm not sure that's the case with Gibbs & Bruns. They said they had callback interviews scheduled all the way through early October and won't make decisions til everyone is done.

Just kinda wanted to get an idea of who else/how many others were waiting for them.

Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


My experience is that they will call and see if you have any questions (kind of a passive-agressive way of saying, "why haven't you accepted yet).

Ya, which gives me comfort, because they've been (almost eerily) silent so far...

Just curious... why does that give you comfort? Also, do you mind hinting at or saying what firm this is? I have one that has been quiet and one that hasn't.

deafa
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 pm

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby deafa » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:08 pm

for those of you who have accepted at texas firms, do they usually send a letter to you to confirm your acceptance?

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


My experience is that they will call and see if you have any questions (kind of a passive-agressive way of saying, "why haven't you accepted yet).

Ya, which gives me comfort, because they've been (almost eerily) silent so far...

Just curious... why does that give you comfort? Also, do you mind hinting at or saying what firm this is? I have one that has been quiet and one that hasn't.

It gives me comfort b/c I can tell my delay isn't stressing them out and pissing them off. I had another firm that was REALLY persistent (in an incredibly nice way, but very passive-aggressive). The firm I have an offer at is one of BB or V&E in Houston. hth.

How long have you (and everyone) been sitting on your offers? Are you just waiting on a third firm? If you're sitting on more than 1 firm, why is that? It seems like it would only make sense to hold on to one firm at a time. Better to cut the chaff every time you get an offer that's at least closer to the top of your preference list, right?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Wow, that seems pretty late. I guess they're expecting a lot of people to sit on offers for a while while waiting on them? Could backfire on them...

Along those lines... are firms (particularly the big 3) pretty understanding if you have to sit on an offer for over a week? I feel like every minute I don't accept is a minute closer to not getting a permanent position down the road (and pissing off other students), but I have personal reasons for the delay. I also don't know if it'd be a good idea to call them and explain the delay before the final decision is made.


My experience is that they will call and see if you have any questions (kind of a passive-agressive way of saying, "why haven't you accepted yet).

Ya, which gives me comfort, because they've been (almost eerily) silent so far...

Just curious... why does that give you comfort? Also, do you mind hinting at or saying what firm this is? I have one that has been quiet and one that hasn't.

It gives me comfort b/c I can tell my delay isn't stressing them out and pissing them off. I had another firm that was REALLY persistent (in an incredibly nice way, but very passive-aggressive). The firm I have an offer at is one of BB or V&E in Houston. hth.

How long have you (and everyone) been sitting on your offers? Are you just waiting on a third firm? If you're sitting on more than 1 firm, why is that? It seems like it would only make sense to hold on to one firm at a time. Better to cut the chaff every time you get an offer that's at least closer to the top of your preference list, right?[/quote]


I'm sitting on 4 offers (3 from CBs, 1 from last summer). Here is my reasoning:

I have applied to both TX and NY. All of my TX firms require a split. If I split, I'm going to likely split between the TX one and the firm from last summer, since I have a familiarity with them and they seem more likely to allow it.

If I don't get any of the TX firms, I'll have to decide between the NYC firms. Given that big law is big law basically wherever you go, I'm going to have to do a lot more research, and/or visit the firms again before deciding.

I also want to be able to sit down with all of my offers in hand before making decisions. The last thing I want to do is say no to a firm and then end up regretting it because I did so too hastily.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Weil rejection (post CB)

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote: I'm sitting on 4 offers (3 from CBs, 1 from last summer). Here is my reasoning:

I have applied to both TX and NY. All of my TX firms require a split. If I split, I'm going to likely split between the TX one and the firm from last summer, since I have a familiarity with them and they seem more likely to allow it.

If I don't get any of the TX firms, I'll have to decide between the NYC firms. Given that big law is big law basically wherever you go, I'm going to have to do a lot more research, and/or visit the firms again before deciding.

I also want to be able to sit down with all of my offers in hand before making decisions. The last thing I want to do is say no to a firm and then end up regretting it because I did so too hastily.

Umm... so, IMO the underlined parts of your posting are pretty selfish, and the bolded part is false. No firms require a split (though some have 2 6-week programs, if that's what you're referring to). I can kinda justify holding on to 1 NY firm and the 2 splitting firms, but holding on to the 4th offer is unjustifiable.

Look, it's completely understandable that you want to explore your options, but this is a rolling process. Treat it as such and do the research NOW and decline your least favorite so the rest of the kids who are waiting to get an offer from those firms can do so. Also, you will seriously piss off the firms if you are delaying this much and come to see them again before making a decision, especially if you turn them down eventually. This is a big decision, but it doesn't warrant that kind of inaction. Sitting on one offer while waiting to hear from another is one thing (and maybe ok for a short period), but you should have made your mind up about the priority of your choices a long time ago.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:46 pm

I agree with the poster above. It's time to start declining offers. You font need all offers to hand to make a decision. I am also targeting TX and NYC and received 3x as many offers as you did. I've canceled all but two. It has been noted that many firms are in holding patterns ... give some of your classmates a chance.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: I'm sitting on 4 offers (3 from CBs, 1 from last summer). Here is my reasoning:

I have applied to both TX and NY. All of my TX firms require a split. If I split, I'm going to likely split between the TX one and the firm from last summer, since I have a familiarity with them and they seem more likely to allow it.

If I don't get any of the TX firms, I'll have to decide between the NYC firms. Given that big law is big law basically wherever you go, I'm going to have to do a lot more research, and/or visit the firms again before deciding.

I also want to be able to sit down with all of my offers in hand before making decisions. The last thing I want to do is say no to a firm and then end up regretting it because I did so too hastily.

Umm... dude, all the underlined parts of your posting are pretty damn selfish (and borderline lazy), and the bolded part is false. No firms require a split (though some have 2 6-week programs, if that's what you're referring to).

Look, it's completely understandable that you want to explore your options, but this is a rolling process. Treat it as such and do the research NOW and decline your least favorites so the rest of the kids who are waiting to get an offer from those firms can do so. Also, you will seriously piss off the firms if you are delaying this much and come to see them again before making a decision, especially if you turn them down eventually. This is a big decision, but it doesn't warrant that kind of inaction. Sitting on one offer while waitin to hear from another is one thing, but that is ridiculous.


Selfish poster here:

Yes, some firms require a split. My top choice allows a minimum of four, a maximum of 6. You can't do more. They don't have enough real work to give to a summer to keep them legitimately busy for 10 weeks, and they don't like to give busy work. I'm still waiting for them.

I've informed all the firms of my timeline and none seem to have been angry. It's not my fault NALP changed the process to 28 days. While I'll be using 20 or so days to decide, that's less than half of the previously allotted time. If they're pissed about me taking 20 days to make a decision that will impact the rest of my life, they can shove their offers.

I am researching now, trust me. But that won't change anything. What you don't have sometimes looks more appealing than what you do. There is something to be said for waiting until you can see your whole hand before deciding what to bet.

My offer is open for 28 days and then firms can give it to someone else. I apologize that you don't approve of my pacing, but my slow pace has no real effect on anyone's chances -- it just lengthens their wait time. I suggest you learn patience now, particularly if you're going into big law.

Edit: Also, since my top choice from which I haven't heard DOES require splitting, that forces me to keep at least two offers open (one to split at if I get the job; one to take if I don't get the job that requires splitting). Given that, and given I just received one of the four today, having four offers open hardly seems excessive.

I've informed the firm I'm waiting on of my first deadline (late next week). Hopefully, I'll be able to make a decision by then.

I am also targeting TX and NYC and received 3x as many offers as you did.


Fortunately, I can probably pee further than you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fortunately, I can probably pee further than you.


You probably can. Fortunately, I have the longer slong and enjoy the luxury of standing further back.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes, some firms require a split. My top choice allows a minimum of four, a maximum of 6. You can't do more. They don't have enough real work to give to a summer to keep them legitimately busy for 10 weeks, and they don't like to give busy work. I'm still waiting for them.

I've informed all the firms of my timeline and none seem to have been angry. It's not my fault NALP changed the process to 28 days. While I'll be using 20 or so days to decide, that's less than half of the previously allotted time. If they're pissed about me taking 20 days to make a decision that will impact the rest of my life, they can shove their offers.

I am researching now, trust me. But that won't change anything. What you don't have sometimes looks more appealing than what you do. There is something to be said for waiting until you can see your whole hand before deciding what to bet.

My offer is open for 28 days and then firms can give it to someone else. I apologize that you don't approve of my pacing, but my slow pace has no real effect on anyone's chances -- it just lengthens their wait time. I suggest you learn patience now, particularly if you're going into big law.


Look, it's a ROLLING TIMELINE. You sitting on your 28-day timeline for no good reason means that other kids who are waiting to see if they get an offer from the firm you're going to turn down won't get the chance, b/c their (presumably only other) offer will expire before you decide to act. It has nothing to do with my patience. Your decision isn't going to impact me... at least not directly. It's about being considerate to other kids and the firms.

Anonymous User
Posts: 273121
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:10 pm

I haven't decided which firm to reject yet. While it may be selfish, I don't owe it to anyone to make a decision before I feel comfortable. Nor would I expect anyone else to do otherwise.




Return to “Legal Employment”

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.