Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:I have a related question for those who've decided on Texas firms and considering splitting. Will it be a bad idea to split with a non-Texas firm?

Will the non-Texas firm allow you to split? Do you have a prior obligation to go to the non-Texas firm? Keep in mind that there are only a few second-half firms to behind with in Texas.

I know that most NYC firms will not let you split with another firm, but will allow you to split with the DOJ or a judge.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Actually, the LLBL is for Houston, so I'm strongly considering splitting. I know the litigation partners I met there were AWESOME. I haven't heard much about their actual litigation practice in Houston, though.

Made the decision to accept their offer. Looking forward to the summer!

Congrats! Are you now left to decide which Dallas first-half offer to accept? I found that JD wasn't exactly thrilled with me splitting with another firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Susman has started giving offers. Received the call today. I believe they are taking two in the Houston office, and perhaps one in NYC/other offices, for a total of three, although I could be wrong on the upper bound.

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:Susman has started giving offers. Received the call today. I believe they are taking two in the Houston office, and perhaps one in NYC/other offices, for a total of three, although I could be wrong on the upper bound.

Congrats. Houston office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:52 am

Mind if I ask when your cb was?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:43 am

Callback was 09/16. Houston office.

Best of luck to all of those waiting to hear back from SG.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Callback was 09/16. Houston office.

Congrats man. I'm insanely jealous right now. Where did you get your information about only 2 in the Houston office? In past years, they haven't had quotas.

Also, do you mind telling your school range? HYS?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:48 am

Has anyone heard from Weil Dallas? Does anyone have any idea when their committee is meeting this week?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats man. I'm insanely jealous right now. Where did you get your information about only 2 in the Houston office? In past years, they haven't had quotas.

Got my information from one of the main hiring partners (super friendly, btw), although it may have been an estimate. I got the impression that they are somewhat flexible, but I don't have a solid understanding of their hiring objectives for the summer.

I go to YHS.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Got my information from one of the main hiring partners (super friendly, btw), although it may have been an estimate. I got the impression that they are somewhat flexible, but I don't have a solid understanding of their hiring objectives for the summer.

I go to YHS.

Thanks. Congrats again. Did you go to the dinner after your screening?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I go to YHS.

Thanks. Congrats again. Did you go to the dinner after your screening?

I did not have a typical screener interview, so there was no dinner.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:43 pm

Any more decisions made out of JD Dallas to anyone's knowledge?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any more decisions made out of JD Dallas to anyone's knowledge?

When was your interview? Mine was on 9-17.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any more decisions made out of JD Dallas to anyone's knowledge?

When was your interview? Mine was on 9-17.

Earlier that week.

chadwick218

Postby chadwick218 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Akin Gump and Orrick are talking merger. This would seem to be a clash of cultures, right? Also, what exactly would the merged name be?

http://abovethelaw.com/2010/09/law-firm ... e-talking/

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Has anyone heard from Bracewell's Houston office? I was told they would be meeting at the end of this last week, and I'm wondering if the silence means I have a snail mail coming my way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard from Bracewell's Houston office? I was told they would be meeting at the end of this last week, and I'm wondering if the silence means I have a snail mail coming my way.

I received a post-CB rejection letter from Bracwell Houston a few weeks ago. I have very strong ties to Dallas, but week ties to Houston. T14, Top 15%. I really liked Bracewell and was a little suprised given other offers received (I also really don't buy that law firms yield protect post CB).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:05 pm

JD Dallas has overextended offers! As such, no new offers will be going out until people start declining offers. Now is a great time to start declining offers that you know you will not take.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:JD Dallas has overextended offers! As such, no new offers will be going out until people start declining offers. Now is a great time to start declining offers that you know you will not take.

Yup... really disappointing. I hate sitting on one offer waiting on another.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:JD Dallas has overextended offers! As such, no new offers will be going out until people start declining offers. Now is a great time to start declining offers that you know you will not take.

Yeah, that's exactly what Kathy alluded to. She noted that sitting on offers appears to be worse this year than last year. It seems like the Big3 have all given out the majority of thier offers though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what Kathy alluded to. She noted that sitting on offers appears to be worse this year than last year. It seems like the Big3 have all given out the majority of thier offers though.

Ya... and I'm sitting on a Big3 offer for them. Bad mojo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ya... and I'm sitting on a Big3 offer for them. Bad mojo.

I really liked JD, but simply couldn't wait on them any longer w/ a couple of Big3 offers outstanding. I basically said screw it and bowed out and accepted another offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Did they give you any idea if they made all their offers yesterday or what their timeline was looking like? I know they had callbacks through the end of last week, and usually do their firm meetings on Wednesday, but if offers are already going out and they have limited slots this year, perhaps they've made up their mind?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ya... and I'm sitting on a Big3 offer for them. Bad mojo.

I really liked JD, but simply couldn't wait on them any longer w/ a couple of Big3 offers outstanding. I basically said screw it and bowed out and accepted another offer.

I'll have to do this by the end of the week... kinda sucks, but as far as problems go, it's a fantastic problem to have. I still feel really lucky.

Today I ran into a kid at my school who had been aiming at all the same offices as I was, but didn't get a single cb (good kid, too). Definitely put things into perspective... it's rough out there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:58 am

havent heard back from v&e houston and its been almost three weeks now since my interview. is a ding letter on its way to me?

Return to “Legal Employment”