Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:49 am

Anonymous User wrote:I hear the Dallas office is completely different, though, both in personality and feel. Don't mean to knock the firm at either office, though... I guess it probably just wasn't the right fit for me.

As in Dallas may be better or worse? Great post. Thoughts on general would be greatly appreciated.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I hear the Dallas office is completely different, though, both in personality and feel. Don't mean to knock the firm at either office, though... I guess it probably just wasn't the right fit for me.

As in Dallas may be better or worse? Great post. Thoughts on general would be greatly appreciated.

I heard from multiple sources that the Dallas office was better, and based on the comments on here by people who have accepted offers there, I tend to believe it. I haven't seen the Dallas office, though, so take it fwiw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:13 pm

I wanted to give an update on LLBL in Houston. As nearly four weeks have elapsed since the first flyback day, I called yesterday afternoon to let them know that I would be accepting another summer offer.

They apologized for not getting back with me sooner. They indicated that only a few offers and rejections had gone out and that they hope to be making final decisions this week. Good luck to those still in the hunt!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I wanted to give an update on LLBL in Houston. As nearly four weeks have elapsed since the first flyback day, I called yesterday afternoon to let them know that I would be accepting another summer offer.

They apologized for not getting back with me sooner. They indicated that only a few offers and rejections had gone out and that they hope to be making final decisions this week. Good luck to those still in the hunt!

Thanks for the update.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:55 pm

CB @ JW last Tuesday. Rejection letter received in the mail today. Boy, that was quick!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:56 pm

Has anyone received a post-CB rejection letter from Akin Gump?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:04 pm

So what firms in Dallas cancelled their summer programs? Munsch? Strasburger?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:13 pm

Anyone else going to the Bickel & Brewer call-back weekend?

Any thoughts on how to approach a B&B call-back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else going to the Bickel & Brewer call-back weekend?

Any thoughts on how to approach a B&B call-back?

I'm not targeting litigation, but would be very interested in hearing more about Bickel's CB "weekend."

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:30 pm

I'll be accepting BB Dallas tomorrow morning. I'll split with either AK or Weil (assuming that I receive an offer from Weil). Does anyone else anticipate working at BB next summer?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:48 pm

Has or does anyone else plan to accept Andrews Kurth Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'll be accepting BB Dallas tomorrow morning. I'll split with either AK or Weil (assuming that I receive an offer from Weil). Does anyone else anticipate working at BB next summer?

You can split with BB and Weil? I didn't know Weil allowed second-half splits. Pretty cool.

On that note, I think I'm going to accept LLBL Houston tomorrow. I'm really nervous about splitting the summer in general, but I don't want to miss the opportunity. Anyone else agonizing over that decision? I'll be splitting them with either one of the big 3 or JD.

Anyway, congrats again! What was the BB Dallas office like, btw? It was a point of discussion earlier, and I'm curious...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'll be accepting BB Dallas tomorrow morning. I'll split with either AK or Weil (assuming that I receive an offer from Weil). Does anyone else anticipate working at BB next summer?

You can split with BB and Weil? I didn't know Weil allowed second-half splits. Pretty cool.

On that note, I think I'm going to accept LLBL Houston tomorrow. I'm really nervous about splitting the summer in general, but I don't want to miss the opportunity. Anyone else agonizing over that decision? I'll be splitting them with either one of the big 3 or JD.

Anyway, congrats again! What was the BB Dallas office like, btw? It was a point of discussion earlier, and I'm curious...

I really liked BB Dallas. The people seemed to fit my personality very well. While there does seem to be a more serious vibe to the firm, arrogance wasn't an issue (as I experienced at V&E Dallas). I also found people at BB to be a little more social than those at V&E. Some of the associates that I met at V&E were a little awkward.

As for as the bldg goes, BB shares the same bldg as V&E. Overall, I thought that it was very nice. Jones Day probably has the nicest offices though (at least of the biglaw firms in Dallas).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:35 pm

I called to decline an offer from JD Dallas today.

They nevertheless seemed very appreciative of my call and indicated that they have only heard back from a couple of their offers (again, suggesting that no further offers will likely go out until those with offers respond).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I called to decline an offer from JD Dallas today.

They nevertheless seemed very appreciative of my call and indicated that they have only heard back from a couple of their offers (again, suggesting that no further offers will likely go out until those with offers respond).

Ya, they're a bit stretched out right now... apparently most of the SA positions are already filled, and about 9 (more) are pending. Not sure how to feel about that... might push me to accept my other offers instead. Waiting too long seems like a bad idea.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ya, they're a bit stretched out right now... apparently most of the SA positions are already filled, and about 9 (more) are pending. Not sure how to feel about that... might push me to accept my other offers instead. Waiting too long seems like a bad idea.

Interesting. So they have 9 or so offers outstanding, but only have capacity to take on a couple more? What other offers are you considering?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 pm

I posted this is another thread. The following list summarizes Chambers Rankings by firm in Texas. The list is also targeted primarily towards transactional work (given my preferences).

Andrews Kurth
Banking & Finance (Band 2)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 3)
Corporate/M&A (Band 2)
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 3)
Intellectual Property (NR)
Technology (Band 1)

Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
Banking & Finance (NR)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 4)
Corporate/M&A (Band 2)
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 3)
Intellectual Property (Band 4)
Technology (NR)

Baker Botts
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 2)
Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 1)
Intellectual Property (Band 1)
Technology (Band 1)

Bracewell & Giuliani
Banking & Finance (Band 1)
Corporate/M&A (Band 3)
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 4)
Intellectual Property (Band 3)
Technology (NR)

Haynes & Boone
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 1)
Corporate/M&A (Band 3)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 4)
Technology (NR)

Gardere Wynne & Sewell
Banking & Finance (NR)
Corporate/M&A (NR)
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 3)
Intellectual Property (NR)
Technology (NR)

Fulbright & Jaworski
Banking & Finance (Band 3)
Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
Real Estate (Band 3)
Tax (Band 2)
Intellectual Property (Band 2)
Technology (Band 2)

Jones Day
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (Band 4)
Corporate/M&A (Band 2)
Real Estate (Band 3)
Tax (Band 4)
Technology (Band 2)

Locke Lord Bissell & Liddell
Banking & Finance (Band 4)
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (NR)
Corporate/M&A (Band 4)
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 3)
Technology (NR)

Thompson Knight
Corporate/M&A
Real Estate (Band 2)
Tax (Band 2)
Technology (NR)

Vinson & Elkins
Banking & Finance (Band 1)
Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 1)
Technology (Band 2)

Weil Gotshal & Manges
Corporate/M&A (Band 1)
Real Estate (NR)
Tax (NR)
Technology (NR)

Winstead
Bankruptcy/Financial Restructuring (NR)
Corporate/M&A (NR)
Real Estate (Band 1)
Tax (Band 4)
Technology (NR)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Interesting. So they have 9 or so offers outstanding, but only have capacity to take on a couple more? What other offers are you considering?

I guess so. Considering V&E and LLBL.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I guess so. Considering V&E and LLBL.

Are you targeting litigation or transactional work? If transactional, V&E seems to be the best choice. I was really turned off by many of JD's corporate attorneys. They all seemed to be really burned out and lacking in personality.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Are you targeting litigation or transactional work? If transactional, V&E seems to be the best choice. I was really turned off by many of JD's corporate attorneys. They all seemed to be really burned out and lacking in personality.

I'm going for litigation. I've heard there's a bit of a difference b/w shops. I had a good experience there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I'm going for litigation. I've heard there's a bit of a difference b/w shops. I had a good experience there.

This complicates matters. I take it that you Locke Lord offer is in Dallas and not Houston so splitting is out of the question. For litigation, I might actually lean towards Jones Day given their national reach. Also, Locke Lord really does have much better litigation practice than corporate practice vis-a-vis other firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This complicates matters. I take it that you Locke Lord offer is in Dallas and not Houston so splitting is out of the question. For litigation, I might actually lean towards Jones Day given their national reach. Also, Locke Lord really does have much better litigation practice than corporate practice vis-a-vis other firms.

Actually, the LLBL is for Houston, so I'm strongly considering splitting. I know the litigation partners I met there were AWESOME. I haven't heard much about their actual litigation practice in Houston, though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Actually, the LLBL is for Houston, so I'm strongly considering splitting. I know the litigation partners I met there were AWESOME. I haven't heard much about their actual litigation practice in Houston, though.

Made the decision to accept their offer. Looking forward to the summer!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:56 pm

I have a related question for those who've decided on Texas firms and considering splitting. Will it be a bad idea to split with a non-Texas firm?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:34 am

Susman has started giving offers. Received the call today. I believe they are taking two in the Houston office, and perhaps one in NYC/other offices, for a total of three, although I could be wrong on the upper bound.

Return to “Legal Employment”