Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Other than the one of us on this site who posted received a Locke Lord Houston offer, has anyone else received Locke Lord Houston offers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As we draw to a close, where is everyone (as in all 6 of us :wink:) on this thread leaning?

Based on offers received, I'm leaning towards BB or JD/AK (Dallas)

I'm assuming JD Dallas still hasn't started making calls? They were supposed to meet Monday, but I haven't heard anything.

I'm (still) leaning towards them, but if V&E Houston comes through, I'd be hard-pressed to turn them down. I have a couple offers pending, and I hate not being able to respond quickly, so I hope they start making calls (to me or anyone) soon.

On a side note, does anyone think that delaying an acceptance can negatively effect your chances of getting an offer after being an SA?

And, final question: I wasn't able to send thank-you notes out immediately, and it's been over a week for some of the CBs. Is it bad form to send one now? I know some people say not to worry about sending them, but is TX particularly sensitive to them?

When did you interview?

Early last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Wow... I got an offer from V&E Houston. Craziness

This afternoon? Congratulations!!!

Ya. Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:03 pm

Any other AK offers other than me? If so, do you think that you'll accept? I'm still waiting to be officially rejected from Weil. I have some great work experience that would add very nicely to Weil's practice area, but I do not find myself in the top 10%.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya. Thanks!

Alternatively, given that very few people have actually heard, you are still in a very good relative to everyone else.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya. Thanks!

Alternatively, given that very few people have actually heard, you are still in a very good relative to everyone else.

Revised to cut out your the quote per the post above.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya. Thanks!

Congrats! Do you think you will be doing the entire 10 weeks? Or is splitting an option you are considering?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes Weil is still doing CBs so definitely not a lost cause.

Has anyone gotten a Weil Dallas offer yet?

I've heard a Weil Dallas offer has gone out.

recently (in the past week) or a while ago?

In the past week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any other AK offers other than me? If so, do you think that you'll accept? I'm still waiting to be officially rejected from Weil. I have some great work experience that would add very nicely to Weil's practice area, but I do not find myself in the top 10%.

Have been told by AK that they are still making decisions, so I am in the weird limbo there, where I will get an offer if someone else declines. Have you called Weil for status update?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any other AK offers other than me? If so, do you think that you'll accept? I'm still waiting to be officially rejected from Weil. I have some great work experience that would add very nicely to Weil's practice area, but I do not find myself in the top 10%.

Have been told by AK that they are still making decisions, so I am in the weird limbo there, where I will get an offer if someone else declines. Have you called Weil for status update?

When did you interview w/ AK? When I last spoke with them on the phone, they indicated that they only expected to have 4-5 SAs and that the plan was to give offers to all of them. I am curious, however, how many of the SAs that they gave offers to last year actually accepted. They indicated that all 4 split w/ another firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

I called Weil yesterday. They gave me an indication that it would probably not be until later this week or next week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Jackson Walker in Dallas?

JW Dallas offer today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ya. Thanks!

Congrats! Do you think you will be doing the entire 10 weeks? Or is splitting an option you are considering?

If I go there, it'll probably be for the whole time. I'd be worried about splitting (though I could if I wanted).

I'm torn, b/c it seems like the best career opportunity, but I have family in (and reasons to live in) Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

JW Dallas offer today.

Did you interview on Monday? Congrats!!!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm torn, b/c it seems like the best career opportunity, but I have family in (and reasons to live in) Dallas.

Have you lined up another firm where you could spend the second half? The only reason that I can pull off the split is b/c my second half firm only provides a 6 week program. I'll spend 7 weeks at my first half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

JW Dallas offer today.

Did you interview on Monday? Congrats!!!

Thanks!

It was last Thursday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:12 pm

Does anyone have any insight how JD Dallas feels about allowing splits.

I am leaning towards accepting an offer from BB. I spend my first 7 weeks at BB and my last 6 weeks at AK. BB seems much more supportive on splitting and they provide flexibility with multiple start dates.

When I went to lunch with associates at BB, they indicated that the firm was supportive of splits so long as I could stick within their required dates. They indicated that V&E and JD were not nearly as flexible (then again, consider the source).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm torn, b/c it seems like the best career opportunity, but I have family in (and reasons to live in) Dallas.

Have you lined up another firm where you could spend the second half? The only reason that I can pull off the split is b/c my second half firm only provides a 6 week program. I'll spend 7 weeks at my first half.

I have an offer from another firm that allows second-half splits. My career services office didn't reccommend splitting, though, b/c firms feel more comfortable no-offering you if you split, and if you make a mistake, you have less time to make up for it.

I'm thinking if I can get 7 or 8 weeks in the first half, then 6 in the second, I'll probably do it. Is this possible?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I have an offer from another firm that allows second-half splits. My career services office didn't reccommend splitting, though, b/c firms feel more comfortable no-offering you if you split, and if you make a mistake, you have less time to make up for it.

I'm thinking if I can get 7 or 8 weeks in the first half, then 6 in the second, I'll probably do it. Is this possible?

Do you attend a TX school? I've gotten the same response from my career service office (non-Texas). I'll be doing 7 weeks during the first half and 6 weeks during the second half (then again, my second half firm only offers 6 weeks) so it really forces me into a split situation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

While I agree, I also think that if you are a strong performer, it is not in a firm's best interest to no-offer you even if they thought that you were going to work for another firm instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from another firm that allows second-half splits. My career services office didn't reccommend splitting, though, b/c firms feel more comfortable no-offering you if you split, and if you make a mistake, you have less time to make up for it.

For those attending Houston, SMU, or UT, what does career services tell you about this matter?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:59 pm

When did you do your callback?

Congrats!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an offer from another firm that allows second-half splits. My career services office didn't reccommend splitting, though, b/c firms feel more comfortable no-offering you if you split, and if you make a mistake, you have less time to make up for it.

For those attending Houston, SMU, or UT, what does career services tell you about this matter?

At one of the first two—they are advising, if softly, to split if possible.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:26 pm

UT - I am a 3L, almost all of us split the summer and received offers from both firms.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do you attend a TX school? I've gotten the same response from my career service office (non-Texas). I'll be doing 7 weeks during the first half and 6 weeks during the second half (then again, my second half firm only offers 6 weeks) so it really forces me into a split situation.

No, T-14 w/ TX ties.
Anonymous User wrote:

When did you do your callback?

Congrats!

Today (call).

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

While I agree, I also think that if you are a strong performer, it is not in a firm's best interest to no-offer you even if they thought that you were going to work for another firm instead.

Ya... it'd be good to know if I am going to be a rockstar performer, though. I'm pretty confident in my abilities, but I've learned that external factors can complicate things and hamper performance, and half a summer is not a long time to make up for stuff like that.

Return to “Legal Employment”