Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:58 pm

Deciding between VE and GDC (both Dallas)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Deciding between VE and GDC (both Dallas)

Did you see the ATL / Lateral Links post from yesterday regarding GDC? Lateral Links issued a "caution" in approaching GDC's summer program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Did you see the ATL / Lateral Links post from yesterday regarding GDC? Lateral Links issued a "caution" in approaching GDC's summer program.

re GDC:

Although this firm had one of the largest summer associate classes in 2010, a high offer rate in 2009, and no start date deferrals, summer associates still couldn’t slack off, since “the standard for most assignments is perfection” and “the pressure is on” to get an offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Has anyone heard from Bracewell? (Dallas or Austin)

(Particularly URMs)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Jackson Walker in Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Jackson Walker in Dallas?

I know that JW is still calling ppl back through this week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re GDC:

Although this firm had one of the largest summer associate classes in 2010, a high offer rate in 2009, and no start date deferrals, summer associates still couldn’t slack off, since “the standard for most assignments is perfection” and “the pressure is on” to get an offer.

I'm not choosing between GDC and V&E, but I take this to simply mean that you have to work like a real associate over the summer. You have to earn an offer, rather than just getting one by virtue of getting the SA gig. True, I'd rather screw around with a 2006 SA gig, but with a high offer rate it at least seems like you'll get an offer if you do good work. I'd prefer a firm that makes me work over the summer but gives 90% offers to a firm that doesn't demand as much but only gives 75% offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re GDC:

Did you actually meet the people at GDC? Several people I knew cancelled callbacks to them based on screening. Moreover, every decision is made in LA. GDC Dallas is an outpost.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes Weil is still doing CBs so definitely not a lost cause.

Has anyone gotten a Weil Dallas offer yet?

I've heard a Weil Dallas offer has gone out.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:37 pm

Leaning TK Dallas. Who's with me!?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re GDC:

Did you actually meet the people at GDC? Several people I knew cancelled callbacks to them based on screening. Moreover, every decision is made in LA. GDC Dallas is an outpost.

I'm not the person who wrote this, but I can't imagine that Dallas won't be the ones deciding on your offer. True, if the home office (LA) doesn't think the Dallas office can handle X number of new associates, it may say that you can only make offers to 90% of SAs, but I can't imagine that the Dallas office wouldn't get to choose who got the offers.

And why did people cancel callbacks with them based on screening?

Full Disclosure: I didn't do a callback with GDC Dallas (hence the above question), but have a friend who is seriously considering them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yes Weil is still doing CBs so definitely not a lost cause.

Has anyone gotten a Weil Dallas offer yet?

I've heard a Weil Dallas offer has gone out.

recently (in the past week) or a while ago?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

re GDC:

I'm not choosing between GDC and V&E, but I take this to simply mean that you have to work like a real associate over the summer. You have to earn an offer, rather than just getting one by virtue of getting the SA gig. True, I'd rather screw around with a 2006 SA gig, but with a high offer rate it at least seems like you'll get an offer if you do good work. I'd prefer a firm that makes me work over the summer but gives 90% offers to a firm that doesn't demand as much but only gives 75% offers.

Yeah, I'd much rather have to work hard to get an offer but have a high offer rate than have no real standards for work and get no offered due to firm economics.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I'd much rather have to work hard to get an offer but have a high offer rate than have no real standards for work and get no offered due to firm economics.

Absolutely. I think that all of us expect to work very hard regardless of where we go. However, at the end of the day, the most important consideration for me will be historic offer rates and perceived financial health.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:55 pm

Did Winstead have a summer program this year? I received a letter of rejection after writing in that alluded to the fact that they were not planning to have a summer program.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Yeah, I'd much rather have to work hard to get an offer but have a high offer rate than have no real standards for work and get no offered due to firm economics.

Absolutely. I think that all of us expect to work very hard regardless of where we go. However, at the end of the day, the most important consideration for me will be historic offer rates and perceived financial health.

I completely agree. I think that's my point re: GDC (I'm the GDC/VE person). GDC has historically had really high offer rates and are very healthy. The fact that I'll have to work hard over the summer (which seems to be the only point of the "warnings" on the ATL career site) doesn't deter me from picking them. I have a few other concerns, but that's not one of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As we draw to a close, where is everyone (as in all 6 of us :wink:) on this thread leaning?

Based on offers received, I'm leaning towards BB or JD/AK (Dallas)

I'm assuming JD Dallas still hasn't started making calls? They were supposed to meet Monday, but I haven't heard anything.

I'm (still) leaning towards them, but if V&E Houston comes through, I'd be hard-pressed to turn them down. I have a couple offers pending, and I hate not being able to respond quickly, so I hope they start making calls (to me or anyone) soon.

On a side note, does anyone think that delaying an acceptance can negatively effect your chances of getting an offer after being an SA?

And, final question: I wasn't able to send thank-you notes out immediately, and it's been over a week for some of the CBs. Is it bad form to send one now? I know some people say not to worry about sending them, but is TX particularly sensitive to them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As we draw to a close, where is everyone (as in all 6 of us :wink:) on this thread leaning?

I'm assuming JD Dallas still hasn't started making calls? They were supposed to meet Monday, but I haven't heard anything.

I'm (still) leaning towards them, but if V&E Houston comes through, I'd be hard-pressed to turn them down. I have a couple offers pending, and I hate not being able to respond quickly, so I hope they start making calls (to me or anyone) soon.

On a side note, does anyone think that delaying an acceptance can negatively effect your chances of getting an offer after being an SA?

And, final question: I wasn't able to send thank-you notes out immediately, and it's been over a week for some of the CBs. Is it bad form to send one now? I know some people say not to worry about sending them, but is TX particularly sensitive to them?

I wouldn't send thank you notes unless you send them the day or so after the CB. But then again, I never send thank you notes because if a firm dings me for not sending thank you notes, then it's not a firm I would want to work at.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I wouldn't send thank you notes unless you send them the day or so after the CB. But then again, I never send thank you notes because if a firm dings me for not sending thank you notes, then it's not a firm I would want to work at.

Wow... I got an offer from V&E Houston. Craziness

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Anybody got some interesting selling points on living in Houston vs. Dallas? I know the common arguments, and I have lots of family in Dallas, but I don't want to pass up an awesome gig if Houston turns out to be a great place to raise a family (I already have one). I'm not a huge fan of the humidity down there, and I hear traffic/parking sucks. Do the career benefits outweigh the costs?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

JD Dallas has made at least one offer that I've heard of.

I don't think delaying an acceptance will hurt your chances at all.

Don't send thank you notes now.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I know of 2 JD Dallas offers, and I think they have made a few more than that. They may be holding off for a while until they see who is accepting from the early offers.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

When did you interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know of 2 JD Dallas offers, and I think they have made a few more than that. They may be holding off for a while until they see who is accepting from the early offers.

I was also informed that the recruiting committee was meeting on Monday. I interviewed last week and heard on Friday afternoon. With that being said, I informed them that I had an offer set to expire on Monday, September 20th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Wow... I got an offer from V&E Houston. Craziness

This afternoon? Congratulations!!!

Return to “Legal Employment”