Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:God, Susman Godfrey is an amazing firm. Next couple weeks are going to go so slowly.

I find myself having trouble getting excited about anywhere else now.

Seems like everyone comes away from that place either loving it or loathing it. Funny how that works.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:God, Susman Godfrey is an amazing firm. Next couple weeks are going to go so slowly.

Seems like everyone comes away from that place either loving it or loathing it. Funny how that works.

I can see that.

But for me, it's absolutely 100% what I want to do and where I want to be. I'll be pretty upset if I don't get an offer. I'm more excited/nervous about this than I was waiting for my LSAT or to hear from my top law school choices.

Think my interview went pretty well. No major mistakes and pretty good convo with all, but I heard they're going to limit their hiring this year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

This is EXACTLY the feeling I had - the work you get to do so early on....incredible - no other opportunity like it (except maybe Wachtell, W&C, or Munger).

I wish you luck...but not more luck than me. :)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

This is EXACTLY the feeling I had - the work you get to do so early on....incredible - no other opportunity like it (except maybe Wachtell, W&C, or Munger).

I wish you luck...but not more luck than me. :)

Usually they don't have quotas, so if you nail your interview, you get an offer.

Heard that may not be true this year but...let's hope.

Best of luck to you.

PS the architecture and design of the place is awesome.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I can see that.

But for me, it's absolutely 100% what I want to do and where I want to be. I'll be pretty upset if I don't get an offer. I'm more excited/nervous about this than I was waiting for my LSAT or to hear from my top law school choices.

Think my interview went pretty well. No major mistakes and pretty good convo with all, but I heard they're going to limit their hiring this year.

Considering they essentially have their pick of top of class, law review folks with great resumes and great personalities, and they can only take so many people in a summer, I wouldn't get yourself all emotionally invested. I felt the same way about my interview, so who can tell what their deciding factors will be? Better not to get hopes up unnecessarily.

Good luck, though!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I can see that.

Considering they essentially have their pick of top of class, law review folks with great resumes and great personalities, and they can only take so many people in a summer, I wouldn't get yourself all emotionally invested. I felt the same way about my interview, so who can tell what their deciding factors will be? Better not to get hopes up unnecessarily.

Good luck, though!

Hard not to. They've been the "dream" since I started looking.

They had their pick of all those people at the screening stage and I somehow made it through. So, there's a chance!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:01 pm

Has anyone else received an offer from AK (Dallas)? Weil (Dallas) seems unlikely at this point, but I don't want to give up hope just yet. Unfortunately, I have an AK offer expiring at the end of this week.

What are people's thoughts on the firm? I really liked the members of the recruiting committee.

AK's second half strategy intrigues me. Outwide of those fortunate individuals that receive an offer from Weil, it seems as though AK would be the default in Dallas. Given that there are very few second half positions, it seems as though AK can target the best talent. However, the best talent is likely to have multiple offers from other first half firms.

I'm just curious how many ppl who split b/w AK and the Big3 actually pick AK.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:24 pm

For those curious...

Susman Godfrey should get back to people by the end of next week.

Gibbs & Bruns in about 3 weeks, maybe a little more.

Spoke with both, and both are fantastic places. Would be honored to work at either place.

Good luck to everyone else interviewing with either of them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote: Weil (Dallas) seems unlikely at this point, but I don't want to give up hope just yet.

Weil told me that they weren't meeting until next week and should get decisions out after that.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:45 pm

Yes Weil is still doing CBs so definitely not a lost cause.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:45 pm

Has anyone else heard from Akin Gump? I remember seeing that they handed out an offer sometime last week.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:37 pm

Has anyone heard back from Baker & McKenzie (Houston), Bracewell (Houston) or Gardere (Houston)?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else heard from Akin Gump? I remember seeing that they handed out an offer sometime last week.

Akin Gump is done, at least for UT.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone else heard from Akin Gump? I remember seeing that they handed out an offer sometime last week.

Akin Gump is done, at least for UT.

As in done giving offers? Interesting. Did they not call many ppl back from UT? Did quite a few ppl receive post-CB rejections?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:52 pm

I couldn't speculate as to the proportion of callbacks vs. offers. But there was actually a reception last night for Akin Gump Dallas offer-ees. My assumption is that unless they get turned down by more than they expected, Akin Gump Dallas is done for the year.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Yes Weil is still doing CBs so definitely not a lost cause.

Has anyone gotten a Weil Dallas offer yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LLBL Houston Offer. Got a call sometime either yesterday or this morning.

Someone is not telling the truth? Who is less trustworthy ... a "biglaw" firm or a law student ITE?

I'm the poster who got the offer. I did not contact them at all before they called me. From what I can gather, they have rolling offers like everybody else. I assume the "decisions have not been made" line means that the first round of offers haven't been solidified.

If it makes you feel better, I might not be able to accept their offer for family reasons. I plan on letting them know first thing next week either way (ASAP... I'm not stalling). There's still hope.

Thanks for the insight. I have a couple of other offers. I don't like the fact that it has taken them over 3 weeks to make offers. I also figure that if I am not at the "top" of their list to make offers to, then they are not even worth my consideration. I have had one firm give me an offer on the spot and a couple of firms give offers on the same day of the CB. This goes a long way for me.

did you ever hear back from locke?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:07 pm

re Locke, I haven't heard anything. They are dead to me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I couldn't speculate as to the proportion of callbacks vs. offers. But there was actually a reception last night for Akin Gump Dallas offer-ees. My assumption is that unless they get turned down by more than they expected, Akin Gump Dallas is done for the year.

Were most of the offers local? How many in attendance? At this point, I moved on and have a couple of other first half offers in hand. Akin Gump just didn't seem to be a very good fit though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:11 pm

Do most of y'all have 1st and 2nd half offers? All i have is a slew of first half. Fuck.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do most of y'all have 1st and 2nd half offers? All i have is a slew of first half. Fuck.

I think there are very few 2nd half offers, and most of those are confined to Bracewell, Andrews Kurth, and to people who got invited back from their 1L summer firm. All my offers are first half.

Re Akin Gump, there were about a dozen UT students there with offers. I didn't get an exact count.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:14 pm

Haynes and Boone Dallas and Weil Dallas are doing second half, but those are the only ones I've heard in addition to the above ^^^

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 11:19 pm

Locke Houston offers second half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I couldn't speculate as to the proportion of callbacks vs. offers. But there was actually a reception last night for Akin Gump Dallas offer-ees. My assumption is that unless they get turned down by more than they expected, Akin Gump Dallas is done for the year.

Are there any other firms rumored to be done for the year?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:50 pm

As we draw to a close, where is everyone (as in all 6 of us :wink:) on this thread leaning?

Based on offers received, I'm leaning towards BB or JD/AK (Dallas)

Return to “Legal Employment”