Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LLBL Houston Offer. Got a call sometime either yesterday or this morning.

I just called LLBL and they indicated that decisions had not been made yet. Do you tell them that you had a hard deadline at the end of the week where you needed a decision? Something doesn't quite add up here.

Someone is not telling the truth? Who is less trustworthy ... a "biglaw" firm or a law student ITE?

I'm the poster who got the offer. I did not contact them at all before they called me. From what I can gather, they have rolling offers like everybody else. I assume the "decisions have not been made" line means that the first round of offers haven't been solidified.

If it makes you feel better, I might not be able to accept their offer for family reasons. I plan on letting them know first thing next week either way (ASAP... I'm not stalling). There's still hope.

Thanks for the insight. I have a couple of other offers. I don't like the fact that it has taken them over 3 weeks to make offers. I also figure that if I am not at the "top" of their list to make offers to, then they are not even worth my consideration. I have had one firm give me an offer on the spot and a couple of firms give offers on the same day of the CB. This goes a long way for me.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:09 am

Anonymous User wrote:How long was the waiting period b/w Jones Day Dallas CB and offer? I had a CB late this week, but have offers expiring on Tuesday of next week.

You'll need to get on the horn with Kathy. They're usually quick, but not that quick.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:45 pm

Baker Botts Dallas and V&E Houston offers today. Also, Kathy Shea and Amanda at Jones Day Dallas are by a long shot the best recruiting team in town. I absolutely loved it there today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

So, who else is currently in Houston?

I'm staying at Inn at the Ballpark.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:00 am

What are everyone's feelings on Weil Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:What are everyone's feelings on Weil Dallas?

They offer a second half summer. What are your other second half options? So long as you have one of the big 3 locked up in the first half, I would absolutely go to Weil. Keep in mind, it is very unlikely that you'll make partner, but you'll have incredible national exit options.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:03 am

Even in 2009, they gave 15/16 summers offers. This well exceeds the % given by any other firm (major players, at least) in TX.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:

They offer a second half summer. What are your other second half options? So long as you have one of the big 3 locked up in the first half, I would absolutely go to Weil. Keep in mind, it is very unlikely that you'll make partner, but you'll have incredible national exit options.

Have they given out offers yet?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:16 am

Any word at all from FJ Houston?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:27 am

I recently declined a Jackson Walker CB b/c I am not terribly interested in litigation, but I realized that I've not seen Jackson Walker's name on this thread.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:22 pm

How many SAs does Weil plan to bring on this year? Last year, they hired only 3 ppl while they hired 16. Also, is Weil's program restrictured to only the second half?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 1:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many SAs does Weil plan to bring on this year? Last year, they hired only 3 ppl while they hired 16. Also, is Weil's program restrictured to only the second half?

I heard somewhere in the low teens. And yes, only second half.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How many SAs does Weil plan to bring on this year? Last year, they hired only 3 ppl while they hired 16. Also, is Weil's program restrictured to only the second half?

Although I don't understand your post entirely, the way it reads is incorrect. The summer of 2010 Weil had 7 SA's and on the last day of the program they all were given formal offers for post 3L employment.

Source: good friend was in that 7

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Another randome question: What's everyone's take on V&E Houston vs. Jones Day Dallas? I kinda favor Dallas (and everyone's been justifiably raving about Kathy on here), but V&E is pretty damn strong when trying to stay in TX. I'm looking toward litigation, fwiw.

Any thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Another randome question: What's everyone's take on V&E Houston vs. Jones Day Dallas? I kinda favor Dallas (and everyone's been justifiably raving about Kathy on here), but V&E is pretty damn strong when trying to stay in TX. I'm looking toward litigation, fwiw.

Any thoughts?

Do you have strong ties to either Dallas or Houston? If you would prefer working in Dallas, then I would advise Jones Day. Otherwise, I would take V&E Houston over Jones Day Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:03 pm

Has anyone heard of other firms (besides Weil and Andrews Kurth) allowing second half splits, specifically in Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of other firms (besides Weil and Andrews Kurth) allowing second half splits, specifically in Dallas?

Some of the boutiques may offer second half splits. I know that Locke Lord in Houston allows a second half splits. Does Locke Lord Dallas likewise offer second half splits?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard of other firms (besides Weil and Andrews Kurth) allowing second half splits, specifically in Dallas?

Some of the boutiques may offer second half splits. I know that Locke Lord in Houston allows a second half splits. Does Locke Lord Dallas likewise offer second half splits?

No, their dates (as per my offer letter) are May 23rd to July 15th.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:44 pm

For anyone still waiting to hear from JD, I was told that the recruiting committee was meeting again today.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Another randome question: What's everyone's take on V&E Houston vs. Jones Day Dallas? I kinda favor Dallas (and everyone's been justifiably raving about Kathy on here), but V&E is pretty damn strong when trying to stay in TX. I'm looking toward litigation, fwiw.

Any thoughts?

Do you have strong ties to either Dallas or Houston? If you would prefer working in Dallas, then I would advise Jones Day. Otherwise, I would take V&E Houston over Jones Day Dallas.

I do have strong ties to Dallas, and almost none to Houston. Any particular reason to aim at V&E that might override a slight preference to Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I do have strong ties to Dallas, and almost none to Houston. Any particular reason to aim at V&E that might override a slight preference to Dallas?

I think that your chances of receiving an offer are much higer at V&E than JD. Also, check out the following thread. While JD is the leading vote getter, there has been a great deal of concern expressed about JD at the same time. In particular, take a look at page 2.

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130206

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I do have strong ties to Dallas, and almost none to Houston. Any particular reason to aim at V&E that might override a slight preference to Dallas?

I think that your chances of receiving an offer are much higer at V&E than JD. Also, check out the following thread. While JD is the leading vote getter, there has been a great deal of concern expressed about JD at the same time. In particular, take a look at page 2.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130206

Ya... although I wonder if those issues primarily stem from the transactional practice. I responded in that thread as well, trying to get some feedback on the litigation shop there.

Honestly, I'm trying to find reasons to turn down a V&E offer for JD. I doubt it'd be possible to split b/w both...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=130206

Ya... although I wonder if those issues primarily stem from the transactional practice. I responded in that thread as well, trying to get some feedback on the litigation shop there.

Honestly, I'm trying to find reasons to turn down a V&E offer for JD. I doubt it'd be possible to split b/w both...

I don't think you'd be making a wrong choice either way. I don't know about your chances of receiving an offer being much higher for V&E vs JD. JD has pretty much gone on record to say if you are there for the summer, you have an offer and it's yours to lose. It was on ATL a couple months back. At this point, it probably comes down to fit. If you are trying to find reasons to turn down V&E for JD, then it might just mean V&E is the right fit for you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=130206

I don't think you'd be making a wrong choice either way. I don't know about your chances of receiving an offer being much higher for V&E vs JD. JD has pretty much gone on record to say if you are there for the summer, you have an offer and it's yours to lose. It was on ATL a couple months back. At this point, it probably comes down to fit. If you are trying to find reasons to turn down V&E for JD, then it might just mean V&E is the right fit for you.

Sigh... you're right. Damn you and your logic! :D

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:37 pm

God, Susman Godfrey is an amazing firm. Next couple weeks are going to go so slowly.

I find myself having trouble getting excited about anywhere else now.

Return to “Legal Employment”