Texas Markets - OCI Results

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:55 pm

Apparently Baker Botts Dallas no-offered a handful of their 2Ls this summer and did not take anyone from SMU. They only had 10 2Ls to begin with.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Apparently Baker Botts Dallas no-offered a handful of their 2Ls this summer and did not take anyone from SMU. They only had 10 2Ls to begin with.

Where did you get this info...? I'm genuinely curious. Also, what is a handful as compared to 10? 3... 4... more?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:19 pm

BB-Dallas post-CB rejection via snail mail. It was postmarked about a week after my interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Apparently Baker Botts Dallas no-offered a handful of their 2Ls this summer and did not take anyone from SMU. They only had 10 2Ls to begin with.

Where did you get this info...? I'm genuinely curious. Also, what is a handful as compared to 10? 3... 4... more?

First hand source from someone who apparently had gotten an offer. They indicated that they were aware of at least two no-offers (but that there could be more).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 4:32 pm

Bracewell Houston post-CB rejection via snail mail.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from Locke Houston post CB?

I'm going to try to call this afternoon as I have an offer that expires on Friday.

Any updates?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from Locke Houston post CB?

I'm going to try to call this afternoon as I have an offer that expires on Friday.

Any updates?

The indicated that they hoped some decisions would go out towards the middle/end of this week. They encouraged me to just be "patient" ...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to try to call this afternoon as I have an offer that expires on Friday.

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates?

Anonymous User wrote:The indicated that they hoped some decisions would go out towards the middle/end of this week. They encouraged me to just be "patient" ...

So can it be assumed that no decisions have been made thus far? I haven't heard from my classmates of any LLB&L Houston offers being given out, nor have I seen any reported on TLS. My CB was two weeks ago, like a few of you, and have gotten no word from them yet, which from everything I've heard is the 'warning' that a rejection is likely to be on the way.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm going to try to call this afternoon as I have an offer that expires on Friday.

Anonymous User wrote:Any updates?

Anonymous User wrote:The indicated that they hoped some decisions would go out towards the middle/end of this week. They encouraged me to just be "patient" ...

So can it be assumed that no decisions have been made thus far? I haven't heard from my classmates of any LLB&L Houston offers being given out, nor have I seen any reported on TLS. My CB was two weeks ago, like a few of you, and have gotten no word from them yet, which from everything I've heard is the 'warning' that a rejection is likely to be on the way.

I think that LLBL is still in play. Keep in mind that they also did a large round of CBs last Wednesday. With that being said, any goodwill that they created during the CBs is now being diminished, IMO. I was actually a big fan of their flyback day(s).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Yetter Coleman snail mail screening interview ding

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:BB-Dallas post-CB rejection via snail mail. It was postmarked about a week after my interview.

Sorry to hear that. I'm almost at the one week point... :?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:36 pm

Jones Day Dallas CB.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:19 am

How does Clark Thomas & Winters in Austin recruit? I attend a school they don't do OCI with and after a targeted mailing to them I received a snail-mail response to set up an interview. Curious to see if all of their initial interviews are at their office (which a few firms at my school do even though they participate in ON CAMPUS interviewing) or if this can be treated as a CB.

A little concerned with CTW as well. I read an article on law.com that said CTW no-offered their entire 2009 SA class (year may be wrong) citing lack of business. Not too encouraging.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 am

If they weren't scheduled to come on to your campus to do OCI, they would have no reason to come down there just to interview you.

OCI is a whole different animal. I think a lot of firms use it to establish a presence and get their name out to law students while using the process to screen candidates that they are already fairly confident that they want working for them. So to me it ONLY makes sense that if they liked your application, they would invite you for a "Callback."

I put that in quotes because it kind of goes to your other question. I find it highly unlikely that the interviewers at their office would view you any differently than those that got callbacks from an OCI.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If they weren't scheduled to come on to your campus to do OCI, they would have no reason to come down there just to interview you.

OCI is a whole different animal. I think a lot of firms use it to establish a presence and get their name out to law students while using the process to screen candidates that they are already fairly confident that they want working for them. So to me it ONLY makes sense that if they liked your application, they would invite you for a "Callback."

I put that in quotes because it kind of goes to your other question. I find it highly unlikely that the interviewers at their office would view you any differently than those that got callbacks from an OCI.

Sounds to me like the poster knows about OCI. Poster never mentioned them coming to interview him, but rather the converse

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:36 pm

Patton Boggs CB. Does anyone know anything about them? Should I decline if I've got offers other places?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Patton Boggs CB. Does anyone know anything about them? Should I decline if I've got offers other places?

While it's a very solid DC firm and has a reputable Vault ranking, they are not one of the big players in Texas. I guess it depends on where you have other offers. I declined a Patton Boggs CB a week so ago b/c I had outstanding offers from firms that I would take instead.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:49 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Patton Boggs CB. Does anyone know anything about them? Should I decline if I've got offers other places?

While it's a very solid DC firm and has a reputable Vault ranking, they are not one of the big players in Texas. I guess it depends on where you have other offers. I declined a Patton Boggs CB a week so ago b/c I had outstanding offers from firms that I would take instead.

I've got an offer at Locke Lord and one at one of the satellite offices of a non-Texas based firm (think GDC, Weil, Jones Day). Waiting to hear from V&E, Akin Gump, Fulbright and TK. Thoughts?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I've got an offer at Locke Lord and one at one of the satellite offices of a non-Texas based firm (think GDC, Weil, Jones Day). Waiting to hear from V&E, Akin Gump, Fulbright and TK. Thoughts?

Which LLB&L office? Dallas?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Which LLB&L office? Dallas?

Yeah, all of these offices are Dallas. Also just heard about an offer from TK, if anyone is keeping tabs on those.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:37 pm

Just heard about a 2L post-callback offer at Akin Gump Dallas.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

If you have an offer from the likes of Gibson Dunn, Weil, or Jones Day, I wouldn't even waste time considering working for a firm like Locke Lord or Thompson Knight.

longhornnyc

Postby longhornnyc » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:30 pm

Why?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:41 pm

longhornnyc wrote:Why?

I just think that outside of the Big3 and the couple of boutiques, the secondary firms in Dallas are not worth consideration over the V20s listed above. Very few people will ever make partner at any of these firms ... so go with prestige.

Also, I just don't think that you'll necessarily be any happier at LLBL or TK than at GDK, JD, or Weil.

Also, keep in mind that LLBL no-offered the majority of their summers a few years ago (only 4/9 were made offers).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
longhornnyc wrote:Why?

I just think that outside of the Big3 and the couple of boutiques, the secondary firms in Dallas are not worth consideration over the V20s listed above. Very few people will ever make partner at any of these firms ... so go with prestige.

Also, I just don't think that you'll necessarily be any happier at LLBL or TK than at GDK, JD, or Weil.

Also, keep in mind that LLBL no-offered the majority of their summers a few years ago (only 4/9 were made offers).

The only benefit I can see to TK and LLBL is that you get tons of substantive experience really early on and your chance at making partner is comparatively higher (but still pretty low overall).

Return to “Legal Employment”