Texas Markets - OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I haven't decided which firm to reject yet. While it may be selfish, I don't owe it to anyone to make a decision before I feel comfortable. Nor would I expect anyone else to do otherwise.
How about you list your options/considerations and TLS will help you decide.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It gives me comfort b/c I can tell my delay isn't stressing them out and pissing them off. I had another firm that was REALLY persistent (in an incredibly nice way, but very passive-aggressive). The firm I have an offer at is one of BB or V&E in Houston. hth.
Interesting... So, what do you think it says that the delay is not stressing them out in any way?

Do you mind sharing what firm it is that was persistent?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:14 pm

It seems to have been a pretty quiet week outside of the couple of Susman offers. Any other news and/or campus rumblings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:27 pm

For those of you with Susman offers, have you accepted? Are the spots filled, or is there a chance they might continue rolling offers?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:For those of you with Susman offers, have you accepted? Are the spots filled, or is there a chance they might continue rolling offers?
This year, unlike previous years, word is they're going to have a quota. Usually, it's "if we like you, we'll hire you." But times are a-changin'. They lengthened the p-ship track from 4 years to 6 years, and there is talk of getting rid of a summer program altogether.

Only taking two in the Houston office, and I'm assuming they did about 10-12 Houston callbacks total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:14 pm

So who else is cheering for OU right now? I know of at least one other active poster in this thread.

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 5:25 pm

So any news about V&E Austin? I know that they are waiting until they have interviewed everyone but I had my CB more than a moth ago so I'm starting to get a little nervous.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:57 pm

jaxon05 wrote:So any news about V&E Austin? I know that they are waiting until they have interviewed everyone but I had my CB more than a moth ago so I'm starting to get a little nervous.
I'm in the same position. No word. Will have to contact them this week since I'm running out the clock on some other offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:14 pm

Managed to land a 4 week summer gig at a <20 employee, market-paying lit boutique.

Kind of pumped about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jchoggan

New

Post by jchoggan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Managed to land a 4 week summer gig at a <20 employee, market-paying lit boutique.

Congrats :). What city?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:33 am

jchoggan wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Managed to land a 4 week summer gig at a <20 employee, market-paying lit boutique.

Congrats :). What city?
Thanks! Houston. Probably gives away a bit too much, but oh well, not like I'm saying anything bad about them!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 11:46 am

In addition to the Akin Gump / Orrick merger reported earlier, a merger between Reed Smith and Thompson Knight also seems to be pretty serious.

At least to me, many of the things that are attractive to me about TK would be diminished should they merge with Reed Smith. If I were considering TK for employment next summer, I think that this would weigh heavily on my decision. I see this merger destroying a great Dallas-based firm.

Thoughts?

jaxon05

New

Post by jaxon05 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:25 pm

Another question: Has anyone heard from JW Austin or San Antonio? I had a screener with them more than a month ago and have not heard one thing from them, although I know a few people who have been dinged from the San Antonio office.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 pm

Fuck. How likely do u think tk merger is?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 2:18 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Fuck. How likely do u think tk merger is?
It's hard to say for sure. However, comments posted on both Amlaw and ATL suggest that talks are indeed very serious. While such a merger makes sense from Reed Smith perspective, I have to believe that any such merger will ultimately be detrimental for the legacy TK firm.

I'd call recruiting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:43 pm

jaxon05 wrote:Another question: Has anyone heard from JW Austin or San Antonio? I had a screener with them more than a month ago and have not heard one thing from them, although I know a few people who have been dinged from the San Antonio office.
I know at least one person who got a CB and offer from JW Austin, plus several people who got post-CB dings from JW San Antonio. I think JW is done.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Fuck. How likely do u think tk merger is?
It's hard to say for sure. However, comments posted on both Amlaw and ATL suggest that talks are indeed very serious. While such a merger makes sense from Reed Smith perspective, I have to believe that any such merger will ultimately be detrimental for the legacy TK firm.

I'd call recruiting.
So does anyone think that it is fair game to back out of an acceptance with TK and accept another offer citing a material adverse change in conditions and reasons for why you accepted TK in the first place?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:28 pm

How did you work this one out? Was that the period of time you were interviewing for or did you request it? Just curious...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

How did you work this one out? Was that the period of time you were interviewing for or did you request it? Just curious...
Since they're so tiny, they usually don't have a formal summer program. I reached out to them before OCI began, we kept a dialogue going, I visited when I visited other firms in H, they liked me, discussed, and decided to offer me a 4 week job.

It was a non-OCI job. Mix of plaintiffs and defense work.

It works out nicely. If I land a second Texas gig (as I'm praying I do), I can do 6 weeks and 4 weeks and voila, normal 10 week summer. But even if I don't get another TX job, I can do 10 weeks (a full summer) in a big NYC firm and then 4 weeks in the lit boutique. Wouldn't give me much of a break, but ITE, completing the summer program at two different jobs can only help.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Since they're so tiny, they usually don't have a formal summer program. I reached out to them before OCI began, we kept a dialogue going, I visited when I visited other firms in H, they liked me, discussed, and decided to offer me a 4 week job.

It was a non-OCI job. Mix of plaintiffs and defense work.

It works out nicely. If I land a second Texas gig (as I'm praying I do), I can do 6 weeks and 4 weeks and voila, normal 10 week summer. But even if I don't get another TX job, I can do 10 weeks (a full summer) in a big NYC firm and then 4 weeks in the lit boutique. Wouldn't give me much of a break, but ITE, completing the summer program at two different jobs can only help.
This sounds like a great way to spend the summer. Should you take NYC for 10 and TX for 4, you may want to check with the NYC firm to ensure that they will allow such a split (even if it doesn't cross over into their summer program). I know of a couple of firms that explicitely state that you cannot split with any other firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
This sounds like a great way to spend the summer. Should you take NYC for 10 and TX for 4, you may want to check with the NYC firm to ensure that they will allow such a split (even if it doesn't cross over into their summer program). I know of a couple of firms that explicitely state that you cannot split with any other firm.
Does that count as a split?

After 10 weeks, I'm no longer a summer associate with the NY firm. Wouldn't it then just be me taking another job? Seems weird to require their permission.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Does that count as a split?

After 10 weeks, I'm no longer a summer associate with the NY firm. Wouldn't it then just be me taking another job? Seems weird to require their permission.
It depends on the firm. I'd just start by checking their Summer Program FAQ section. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't say anything at all to the NYC firm and just stay very hush about the whole thing.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So does anyone think that it is fair game to back out of an acceptance with TK and accept another offer citing a material adverse change in conditions and reasons for why you accepted TK in the first place?
I see no issue with backing out of an offer under such circumstances.

NYAssociate

Silver

Post by NYAssociate » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:07 pm

Last edited by NYAssociate on Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:15 pm

NYAssociate wrote:
It depends on the firm. I'd just start by checking their Summer Program FAQ section. If I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't say anything at all to the NYC firm and just stay very hush about the whole thing.
Probably not the best idea from a conflicts-checking perspective.
Where is the conflict? How is it any different from lateraling?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”