Texas Markets - OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:21 pm

Anybody interview with Patton Boggs?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:38 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody interview with Patton Boggs?
I interviewed w/ Patton Boggs for the Dallas office at a career fair in DC. I received a CB, which I eventually turned down.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:37 pm

When did you decline the CB?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:When did you decline the CB?
A month ago or so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:11 pm

Baker Botts Austin office ding via snail mail. Still waiting on Vinson and Elkins Austin office.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Fri Oct 08, 2010 11:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?
I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:04 am

BruceWayne wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone (else) turned down a Big 3 offer (particularly V&E Houston, since they're the big kid in town... not to mention they just landed that Southwest Airlines merger) for another firm in TX? If so, what was your reasoning? Was it the people you met, specific practice group, other recruiting experiences, city choice, 'fit,' or something else?
I'm sure people turn down V&E for the likes of Susman, Gibbs and Bruns, Beck Redden, and Bickel and Brewer all the time....
Oh, I'm sure... I turned them down for a different firm than those. I'm just curious about the particular reasons why people decided to do so.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:25 am

Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Oh, I'm sure... I turned them down for a different firm than those. I'm just curious about the particular reasons why people decided to do so.
I turned one of BB/VE down for a small office of a national firm. I don't care about making partner (I'm doing corporate and want to do 4-5 years and then go in house), I got a much better vibe at the firm I picked, and I heard from a reputable TX source that the exit options would be slightly better from this firm than the Big 3 one I had an offer at. Also, the firm I picked pays on the NY pay scale, which makes for a big difference in pay after the first year or two.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

karatenutz

New

Post by karatenutz » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
I turned one of BB/VE down for a small office of a national firm. I don't care about making partner (I'm doing corporate and want to do 4-5 years and then go in house), I got a much better vibe at the firm I picked, and I heard from a reputable TX source that the exit options would be slightly better from this firm than the Big 3 one I had an offer at. Also, the firm I picked pays on the NY pay scale, which makes for a big difference in pay after the first year or two.
Which firms in TX pay NY scale?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:29 pm

Anyone else here considering AK Dallas?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
LOL at putting Bickel and Brewer w/ Susman, Gibbs, or Beck. Bickel is TTT, despite the mailroom clerks wearing suits.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else here considering AK Dallas?
On a similar note, has anyone heard anything from AK Houston? Just wondering if they are done or not.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:42 pm

any recent movement from v&e houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:26 pm

Is there still no word from V&E Austin? Last I had heard they were waiting til everyone interviewed before making offers. Has anyone heard anything, positive or negative, from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Weil Dallas offer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:51 pm

Congratulations. Is it normal in the Texas market for offers to come so late? Or are offers across the board coming in late this year?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:Congratulations. Is it normal in the Texas market for offers to come so late? Or are offers across the board coming in late this year?
FWIW, I was told by one recruiter this year that firms are being incredibly conservative b/c they simply don't know what the other firms are doing. She indicated that they were at the point where they were handing out offers one at a time. She also indicated that she felt that what she felt were some their prized recruits ended up taking offers in places like NYC instead.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 10:56 am

Anyone on here going to BB Dallas? I'm in for the first half. I think that they'll be 10-12 of us.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone on here going to BB Dallas? I'm in for the first half. I think that they'll be 10-12 of us.
How about JD Dallas? I'm heading there for the first half...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:37 pm

I will be at Baker Botts Dallas (first half) and Andrews Kurth Dallas (second half). Will anyone be joining me at either of these two firms?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:33 pm

Anyone else heading to LLBL Houston for the 2nd half?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:03 pm

I've come to believe that out of our nearly 500 posts, there are really only a handful of us. Congrats to all those on this thread that have secured jobs in Texas.

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:06 pm

Hello all, I'm trying to put your experiences/results into context. Are most of you guys at UT, a T14, or a lower-ranked TX school?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:44 pm

T14. Top 15-20%. Splitting b/w BB and AK. 4-5 years of WE. Grew up in and own a house in TX.

I took BB Dallas over JD Dallas, LLB&L Houston, and V&E Houston, and a bunch of non-V10 NY firms.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”