Texas Markets - OCI Results Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Texas Markets - OCI Results

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
longhornnyc wrote:Why?
I just think that outside of the Big3 and the couple of boutiques, the secondary firms in Dallas are not worth consideration over the V20s listed above. Very few people will ever make partner at any of these firms ... so go with prestige.

Also, I just don't think that you'll necessarily be any happier at LLBL or TK than at GDK, JD, or Weil.

Also, keep in mind that LLBL no-offered the majority of their summers a few years ago (only 4/9 were made offers).

But you do think taking the Big 3 over the V20s is a good idea? I got bad vibes from both Fulbright and V&E, although for different reasons.

I think Fulbright isn't doing to well financially, and the fact that they have a six-week-only first-half summer program doesn't increase my confidence. Loved the people, though.

V&E seems fine financially, but they seemed kind of stuffy (being business formal everyday adds to that). I also got the sense that associates didn't have much control over their work.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I just think that outside of the Big3 and the couple of boutiques, the secondary firms in Dallas are not worth consideration over the V20s listed above. Very few people will ever make partner at any of these firms ... so go with prestige.

Also, I just don't think that you'll necessarily be any happier at LLBL or TK than at GDK, JD, or Weil.

Also, keep in mind that LLBL no-offered the majority of their summers a few years ago (only 4/9 were made offers).
The only benefit I can see to TK and LLBL is that you get tons of substantive experience really early on and your chance at making partner is comparatively higher (but still pretty low overall).
I think that this is entirely unfounded/unsubstantiated.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:17 pm

But you do think taking the Big 3 over the V20s is a good idea? I got bad vibes from both Fulbright and V&E, although for different reasons.

I think Fulbright isn't doing to well financially, and the fact that they have a six-week-only first-half summer program doesn't increase my confidence. Loved the people, though.

V&E seems fine financially, but they seemed kind of stuffy (being business formal everyday adds to that). I also got the sense that associates didn't have much control over their work.
I do have my concerns w/ the Big3. BB and V&E both seemed very arrogant and stuffy. Fulbright does appar to be in some financial trouble, comparitively. I never really clicked with anyone at these firms. I never felt welcome during the callback interview. The people really didn't seem to have much in the way of personality. I did really seem to click with Jones Day. I thought that the people and the overall vibe was fantastic.

The only downfall with Jones Day is that split summers are discouraged.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

The only benefit I can see to TK and LLBL is that you get tons of substantive experience really early on and your chance at making partner is comparatively higher (but still pretty low overall).
I think that this is entirely unfounded/unsubstantiated.
It's admittedly a hard thing to judge, but when I was at TK I talked to a first year associate who was on her way to go close her own deal by herself, and other associates I talked to had similar cases or deals that they were taking the lead on. Granted, most places you visit like to make the claim that associates get experience early on, but the stories I heard at TK seemed more credible.

Also, since TK's rate structures are significantly lower than the V20s discussed above, it only makes sense that you have more chances to get experience because the deals/cases are smaller.

One final point is that I actually asked this question to a partner at one of the V20s, and he admitted that it was probably somewhat true because of the rate structure difference. He claimed that associates at the V20 got great experience, too, but because they worked on bigger deals and cases with really high end clients, they might not have quite as much responsibility as a TK/LLBL associate would on a lower-end deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Split summers are hard to come by in Dallas unless you do Haynes & Boone or Andrews Kurth, though, right? Is there anywhere else that does second half?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Split summers are hard to come by in Dallas unless you do Haynes & Boone or Andrews Kurth, though, right? Is there anywhere else that does second half?
LLBL allows splitting also, but the practice itself is risky anymore... I probably would only consider splitting with different TX offices for the same firm, and only bring it up after you have an offer in hand.

On a side note, Jones Day Dallas CB was an awesome experience. Kathy Shea (recruiter) is basically the nicest person on the planet. Haven't seen that kind of hospitality from any other firm, and I've been on 6 CBs so far (4 TX).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Kathy Shea (recruiter) is basically the nicest person on the planet.
Couldn't agree more - she is fantastic.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Kathy Shea (recruiter) is basically the nicest person on the planet.
Agreed. Kathy Shea has got to be at the very top of the list. Who is at the bottom? Or who simply failed to come off as being genuine?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:49 am

Anyone heard from FJ Houston?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Still nothing from LLBL Houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still nothing from LLBL Houston?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:00 am

V&E Dallas offer

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:V&E Dallas offer
Via phone call this afternoon? When did you interview?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I may call tomorrow just to check status. It's been over 3 weeks.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interview was about 2 1/2-3 wks ago. And yes, phone call early afternoon.

I did call them earlier this week to tell them about other offers expiring in soon, so that might have helped move them along. OTOH, they also said the recruiting meeting was today, so my call might have had no effect.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Interview was about 2 1/2-3 wks ago. And yes, phone call early afternoon.

I did call them earlier this week to tell them about other offers expiring in soon, so that might have helped move them along. OTOH, they also said the recruiting meeting was today, so my call might have had no effect.
Congrats. It looks like a rejection is heading my way. Does VE do post-CB snail mail rejections?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:26 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Agreed. Kathy Shea has got to be at the very top of the list. Who is at the bottom? Or who simply failed to come off as being genuine?
Haven't really had any bad experiences so far. LLBL Houston has a great recruiting team (they probably put the most effort and planning into the CB program that I've seen). V&E Houston recruiting was very nice and did a great job of personalizing the interview schedules, but they seemed a little frantic when I was there. Of course, I'm sure it's like herding cats trying to organize all of the CBs.

Kinda wish I had more dirt to dish...

Total side note... does anyone else think that when recruiters are really young, attractive females (seems common in TX at least), it makes a firm (not the recruiters) seem a little less genuine? I guess I could say the same thing for a firm having a ton of attractive attorneys, though...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dfw1008

New

Post by dfw1008 » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:38 pm

At my V&E Dallas CB they told me it could take 2-3 weeks to hear back

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:47 pm

LLBL Houston Offer. Got a call sometime either yesterday or this morning.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:39 pm

Does anyone know exactly which firms still allow split summers, and in which cities? I know LLBL does, but what about V&E/BB/JD/etc? Is that part of the negotiation process, or is it something to avoid in discussion?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:01 pm

V&E Dallas Offer. Call actually did not come from the hiring partner, but from the law school's relationship partner that I interviewed with on campus.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:LLBL Houston Offer. Got a call sometime either yesterday or this morning.
I just called LLBL and they indicated that decisions had not been made yet. Do you tell them that you had a hard deadline at the end of the week where you needed a decision? Something doesn't quite add up here.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:LLBL Houston Offer. Got a call sometime either yesterday or this morning.
I just called LLBL and they indicated that decisions had not been made yet. Do you tell them that you had a hard deadline at the end of the week where you needed a decision? Something doesn't quite add up here.
Someone is not telling the truth? Who is less trustworthy ... a "biglaw" firm or a law student ITE?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:55 am

How long was the waiting period b/w Jones Day Dallas CB and offer? I had a CB late this week, but have offers expiring on Tuesday of next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Someone is not telling the truth? Who is less trustworthy ... a "biglaw" firm or a law student ITE?
I'm the poster who got the offer. I did not contact them at all before they called me. From what I can gather, they have rolling offers like everybody else. I assume the "decisions have not been made" line means that the first round of offers haven't been solidified.

If it makes you feel better, I might not be able to accept their offer for family reasons. I plan on letting them know first thing next week either way (ASAP... I'm not stalling). There's still hope.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”