writing samples

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

writing samples

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:33 pm

All of the firms I am interviewing with do not ask for writing samples at the screening interview. Do most eventually ask for a writing sample (at callbacks, maybe)?

Renzo

Re: writing samples

Postby Renzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Probably not, but but bring one (to screening and callbacks) in case they do. Some (but not most) of the hiring folks I've talked to thought that writing samples were a waste, since the applicant has had infinite time to make it perfect. Those people won't ask, but others who think they are valuable might.

Person

Postby Person » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:09 pm

Interestingly, I have found the shittier the firm, the more likely they are going to ask for one.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:09 pm

Person wrote:Interestingly, I have found the shittier the firm, the more likely they are going to ask for one.

Yeah, I think the l33t firms assume everyone they'll hire is going to be a competent writer, but employers who are used to sorting wheat from chaff find writing samples important.

Return to “Legal Employment”