Upstate NY Employment Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Upstate NY Employment Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:CBs at the big four in rochester. T14, local ties, good interviewing skills.

dinged at harter and nixon by mail the friday before last. dinged at woods by mail last friday. WL at harris by mail today.

:shock:

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:CBs at the big four in rochester. T14, local ties, good interviewing skills.

dinged at harter and nixon by mail the friday before last. dinged at woods by mail last friday. WL at harris by mail today.

:shock:

yeah, that about covers it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:33 pm

If it's any consolation, a hiring partner at a big Upstate NY firm told me they won't give offers to people if they feel pretty certain they're not going to accept because they're more likely to go to a NYC firm. Especially since they have tiny class sizes, they don't want to be waiting for someone to hear back from NYC firms while sitting on their offer, accept a NYC offer after a while, and by that time all their other top choice candidates have accepted at another firm.

Unless you made it painfully clear that Rochester is your first-choice city and you're not interviewing in NYC, this may be what happened.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Unless you made it painfully clear that Rochester is your first-choice city and you're not interviewing in NYC, this may be what happened.

you're spot on. however, i made it very clear that i wasn't interviewing at all in NYC and wanted to stay in roch.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

you're spot on. however, i made it very clear that i wasn't interviewing at all in NYC and wanted to stay in roch.

Wow, then I don't know what's gone wrong. Maybe they didn't believe you for some reason. Did you interview with Syracuse and Buffalo firms too?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:49 pm

1L n00b disclaimer. Did any of you guys or girls do your 1L summer at an Upstate Firm? If so, how difficult were these positions to obtain? I'm at a mid-Atlantic T1, but have significant ties to Upstate (born and raised in the ROC and did my undergrad in Albany). Dead set on returning to the area, but unsure how the 1L market is for Upstate regional biglaw.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L n00b disclaimer. Did any of you guys or girls do your 1L summer at an Upstate Firm? If so, how difficult were these positions to obtain? I'm at a mid-Atlantic T1, but have significant ties to Upstate (born and raised in the ROC and did my undergrad in Albany). Dead set on returning to the area, but unsure how the 1L market is for Upstate regional biglaw.

Everyone I know who worked their 1L summer at a big Upstate firm in the last three years went to a T14, and on top of that had some other plus factors (e.g. extensive work experience, URM, etc.). Doesn't mean it's not doable, but I would definitely apply to other places too.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Wow, then I don't know what's gone wrong. Maybe they didn't believe you for some reason. Did you interview with Syracuse and Buffalo firms too?

yeah, i'm wondering if they didn't believe me. i had one screening interview each with a buffalo firm and syracuse firm, respectively (for a total of six screenings). dinged from cuse, no word from buffalo.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Unless you made it painfully clear that Rochester is your first-choice city and you're not interviewing in NYC, this may be what happened.

yeah, i'm wondering if they didn't believe me. i had one screening interview each with a buffalo firm and syracuse firm, respectively (for a total of six screenings). dinged from cuse, no word from buffalo.

That is probably the case. I am at an Upstate NY firm now, and during my summer I was told by a member of the hiring committee that they almost didn't give me an offer (even though I insisted I wasn't interviewing in NYC and was only interviewing upstate) because they were convinced I would say no eventually after getting an offer from a bigger firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:47 pm

Interviewing with an upstate firm tomorrow. I go to school no where near upstate ny (a T25). My connection to the market is my undergrad. I am in fact applying to jobs in DC/NYC/and upstate NY. My preference would be DC then upstate then NYC. Question is, when they ask where im appyling, do I absolutely not tell them ive looked in NYC, or do I just tell them that I'd much prefer there city to NYC?? Also, is looking for jobs in DC just as big of a turnoff as looking in NYC for these firms?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Just say you are looking all over, out of curiosity what firm is your interview with?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:25 pm

Rejection from Hodgson Russ (Buff), snail mail. Like a month after my callback. I am going to be honest I am pretty upset about this one, I have strong ties to the area, top 15% from a T30, and I felt like I had a great interview. O well. Good luck everyone -

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:05 am

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewing with an upstate firm tomorrow. I go to school no where near upstate ny (a T25). My connection to the market is my undergrad. I am in fact applying to jobs in DC/NYC/and upstate NY. My preference would be DC then upstate then NYC. Question is, when they ask where im appyling, do I absolutely not tell them ive looked in NYC, or do I just tell them that I'd much prefer there city to NYC?? Also, is looking for jobs in DC just as big of a turnoff as looking in NYC for these firms?

Absolutely do not mention NYC. That's like the kiss of death to Upstate firms. I'd suggest saying that you did OCI with firms that are local to your school but are really working hard to get back to Upstate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just say you are looking all over, out of curiosity what firm is your interview with?

Sorry about the delay, the firm was hiscock

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:30 pm

can anyone tell me about lemery greisler?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm

Did anyone interview with Hinman Howard & Kattell? If so, has anyone heard back from them?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Phillips Lytle?

CB today after direct write, no phone interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats. When did you apply?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Congrats. When did you apply?

About a month ago

judpol

Postby judpol » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:23 pm

Has anyone applied to Fourth Department for the Staff Attorney position? Trying to figure what their timeline is...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:14 pm

anyone hear from harris?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:56 pm

+1 on Harris

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:11 pm

sent a resume to hancock yesterday, have CB tomorrow. they seem pretty close to being done, but fingers crossed anyway.

alexyoshi

Postby alexyoshi » Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:49 pm

bump

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:38 pm

Snail mail ding from Phillips Lytle.

Return to “Legal Employment”