Upstate NY Employment Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Upstate NY Employment Thread

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back about decisions yet? I had 4 Upstate CBs (over the past 3 weeks) and no answers from any thus far.
Was Hodgson Russ one of them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anybody hear back about decisions yet? I had 4 Upstate CBs (over the past 3 weeks) and no answers from any thus far.
Was Hodgson Russ one of them?

Nope. None were Buffalo firms.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:10 pm

Heard from both Hancock & Estabrook and Bond Schoeneck within a week of CBs. Good luck!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:31 am

anyone hear from damon morey yet? if so, how soon after your CB did you hear?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Hiscock & Barclay? They had a resume collect at my school, and I emailed them with my transcript and writing sample, but I haven't heard anything so far.

Also has anyone just not heard anything at all from Phillips Lytle? I had my OCI interview about a month ago now and haven't heard a thing even after sending the interviewer a follow up email.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:43 am

1L here wondering if you guys could offer me some advice. For summer associates who are offered permanent positions will you automatically work in the office where you interned? Or can you request to be sent somewhere else. For example I know Harris Beach puts their summers in the Rochester office, but could you request to work in say, Albany, if you are offered a permanent position? Will they be pissed if you ask?

Jackie O

Bronze

Post by Jackie O » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:57 am

nice thread, troll - there is no employment in upstate ny

bogart

Bronze

Post by bogart » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:10 am

actually, upstate is one of the few areas were the market fallout didn't entirely wipeout the legal community. Besides, upstate is fucking awesome.

Other25BeforeYou

Silver

Post by Other25BeforeYou » Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:04 pm

bogart wrote:actually, upstate is one of the few areas were the market fallout didn't entirely wipeout the legal community. Besides, upstate is fucking awesome.
+1. Firms are definitely having smaller summer classes, but they also seem to have laid off significantly fewer people than downstate firms.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:06 pm

Also, it seems to be easier to lateral into upstate biglaw than in other areas. Through my internship I have spoken with several attorneys who work at one of the larger upstate firms and many of them worked at small law firms first. They have told me that since the upstate market is so hometown friendly, if you can make a name for yourself at a smaller firm you have strong career options. While this is a small sample size, at least it may give some hope to those who will not be summering at their dream biglaw.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:53 am

Anonymous User wrote:Also, it seems to be easier to lateral into upstate biglaw than in other areas. Through my internship I have spoken with several attorneys who work at one of the larger upstate firms and many of them worked at small law firms first. They have told me that since the upstate market is so hometown friendly, if you can make a name for yourself at a smaller firm you have strong career options. While this is a small sample size, at least it may give some hope to those who will not be summering at their dream biglaw.
I hope this is true. Does anyone know of small upstate firms (especially Rochester & Syracuse) who hire summer interns?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:00 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone hear from damon morey yet? if so, how soon after your CB did you hear?

bump. anyone do a CB with Damon Morey? have you heard back?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:46 pm

two questions.

First, how did OCI finish up for upstaters?
Second, I was wondering about salaries. Is salary different at smaller offices. For example, Harris Beach pays 85k to first year associates. Since Rochester is their hq, would the pay be less in smaller offices such as Albany or Buffalo. I am interested in all firms, just used HB for example. Thanks.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:two questions.

Second, I was wondering about salaries. Is salary different at smaller offices. For example, Harris Beach pays 85k to first year associates. Since Rochester is their hq, would the pay be less in smaller offices such as Albany or Buffalo. I am interested in all firms, just used HB for example. Thanks.
oci was ugly at my upstate TTT...~14 firms at OCI...few offers

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:13 am

Anonymous User wrote:two questions.

I interviewed and applied to firms in Albany-Syracuse-Rochester (while attending a T1) and was happy (lucky?) to get and accept an offer from a Rochester firm. It was my only offer. From what I experienced, some friends in local schools who were on LR did not get any offers (yet) and the firms interview (callback) significantly more than there are spots for. Reality is that many of the biggest firms in the Upstate area recruit at many of the top schools, so I think ties and good interviewing skills are exceptionally important (probably not different than in years past).

As far as your second question, it would be an educated guess, but I am pretty sure starting salaries at a firm are the same across all offices, with the exception of perhaps slightly higher if there is a satellite office in NYC (or other large market). Note, that while many of these firms have multiple offices, most of them are tiny compared to the HQ, don't host any summer associates outside of the HQ, and will probably not give you the option as to where to start.

Hope this helps some fellow future Upstate lawyers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:22 pm

anybody hear from hodgson russ nyc after cb?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:41 pm

I've also been waiting... CB a week or so ago, have you heard from anywhere else in upstate?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:49 am

bump

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:15 am

Anonymous User wrote:I've also been waiting... CB a week or so ago, have you heard from anywhere else in upstate?
I was speaking about the manhattan office, did not interview upstate. I wonder if they made any offers yet

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:42 pm

oh ok my fault -- yeah I wonder if they have, considering I have not received a phone call I am hoping they have yet to

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:11 pm

anyone else get to enjoy nixon's bring in 20 people over two days for 3 spots?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:anyone else get to enjoy nixon's bring in 20 people over two days for 3 spots?
That was fun :roll:

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:anyone else get to enjoy nixon's bring in 20 people over two days for 3 spots?
They didn't plan the meal part well. Getting done before 11 or so is an awkward time to eat at a restaurant.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Did they mention when they're all meeting to make a decision?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:31 pm

anyone hear from harter secrest?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”