Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Northwestern 2010 OCI Callbacks Thread

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In general, has anyone found the NU resume drop program to be effective? I've only seen a couple of CBs coming out of this. Knowing career services, they probably failed to even submit our resumes to the firms until just recently.

How exactly has career services failed you? They seem to be pretty on top of their shit based on my experiences with them.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:In general, has anyone found the NU resume drop program to be effective? I've only seen a couple of CBs coming out of this. Knowing career services, they probably failed to even submit our resumes to the firms until just recently.

How exactly has career services failed you? They seem to be pretty on top of their shit based on my experiences with them.

I never said that careers services failed me. I merely said that they probably failed to send out the submitted resumes in a timely manner. Otherwise, I think that if you poll 2 and 3Ls, most students would express indifference or displeasure w/ careers services.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:39 pm

White & Case offer received today by phone!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:White & Case offer received today by phone!

which office?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:39 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

which office?

NYC. I know of 2 ppl who have received offers from White & Case NYC. I haven't heard of anyone receiving offers from Miami.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

which office?

NYC. I know of 2 ppl who have received offers from White & Case NYC. I haven't heard of anyone receiving offers from Miami.

I know of at least one Miami offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:As the recruiting season draws to a close, what are everyone's thoughts? It really does seem to have been feast or famine. It really does seem to have been a blood bath for many people. Then again, most of the people that I know that did not receive many CBs had (1) either very low grades or (2) approached OCI in all the wrong ways depsite how much they were warned in advance.

The naivety of some of my classmates amazes me. I want to feel bad for them, but they can only point towards themselves for their demise.

My thought is that's kind of a douchey thing to say. Glad it went well for you.

The people I know who did well were limited to those with 3.9+ GPAs or LR. Because of this, I have no idea what this poster means when he says people only did poorly if they had "very low grades" or "approached OCI in all the wrong ways."

By the way, I am saying this as a person who did very well in OCI. I feel very lucky and thankful for my success. (I can pay back my student loans!)

Agreed. What an F'n D-Bag.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:58 am

With the exception of NYC, it seems as though things are as bad, if not worse, than last year. While some firms have increased their starting classes, others have actually shrunk their starting classes. A few firms in Boston and Texas come to mind.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:With the exception of NYC, it seems as though things are as bad, if not worse, than last year. While some firms have increased their starting classes, others have actually shrunk their starting classes. A few firms in Boston and Texas come to mind.

I targeted CA very heavily and so far I've struck out at OCI. Had callbacks from outside efforts, but OCI has sucked hard.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:05 am

Has anyone received a CB via the resume drop? I applied to 30 firms and have heard nothing (not even a rejection).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:08 am

Was The Law Consortorium off-campus career fair successful for anyone? I heard reports that a number firms came with no real intention of offering many CBs as they were already well into he CB process.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Was The Law Consortorium off-campus career fair successful for anyone? I heard reports that a number firms came with no real intention of offering many CBs as they were already well into he CB process.

Dings came so quick after those interviews that they should have just handed them to me while I was in the room. I had pretty good success with callbacks from OCI in the area too, and at similar level firms. Make your own inferences as to the employers' intentions.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:27 pm

Any Jones Day Chicago CBs from OCI?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I never said that careers services failed me. I merely said that they probably failed to send out the submitted resumes in a timely manner. Otherwise, I think that if you poll 2 and 3Ls, most students would express indifference or displeasure w/ careers services.

Why would you think that career services failed to submit resumes in a timely manner?

Taking any of this out on career services is unfair. The market blows. The number of SA positions in Chicago is down to just a third of what was available just two years ago. 60% of the class at peer schools like Cornell and Michigan struck out last year at OCI despite having arguably better connections to the more robust NYC market. They can't do anything about it.

A lot of people did struggle with OCI, and it isn't anyone's fault. That said, if you don't have an offer yet, now is the time to hustle. Mail every firm you can, reach out to alumni, consider smaller firms, consider other avenues. These economic conditions reward people who are aggressive and proactive. Don't be one of those 3Ls who numbly holds out for biglaw when it isn't coming. Do *something* to get your career started.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:05 am

Agreed. I'm a Michigan student with good grades who for some reason (perhaps bidding on markets that proved very rough this year) got nothing from Early Interview Week. I've managed to get one callback through resume collect and another through straggler OCI; I've had other nibbles from resume collect and am getting MM nibbles as well.

You should definitely hurry, but don't be fatalistic and assume there's no way you'll get anything this late. A lot of the mega-firms are indeed wrapping up their recruitment, but plenty of smaller firms that pay enough to take care of your loans (while giving you substantive work) are just now getting around to looking through applications.

Be strong my midwest comrade!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:46 am

Anonymous User wrote:Any Jones Day Chicago CBs from OCI?

not here, but i know of some.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any Jones Day Chicago CBs from OCI?

not here, but i know of some.

I know of about five or so people who got callbacks.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:34 pm

Has Kirkland Chicago sent out any rejections yet?

Person

Postby Person » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has Kirkland Chicago sent out any rejections yet?

Kirkland don't "send out" a rejection. They come to your house and rape you and that is how you know. It is just that kind of firm.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:30 pm

Person wrote:Kirkland don't "send out" a rejection. They come to your house and rape you and that is how you know. It is just that kind of firm.

This is a good example of something that not only shouldn't have been posted anonymously, but shouldn't have been posted at all. Timeout for the offender.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:32 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
Person wrote:Kirkland don't "send out" a rejection. They come to your house and rape you and that is how you know. It is just that kind of firm.

This is a good example of something that not only shouldn't have been posted anonymously, but shouldn't have been posted at all. Timeout for the offender.

I thought it was entertaining.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Person wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Has Kirkland Chicago sent out any rejections yet?

Kirkland don't "send out" a rejection. They come to your house and rape you and that is how you know. It is just that kind of firm.

This type of post reflects poorly on the school and can only harm Kirkland's impressions and relationship with NU.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:54 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I am aware of 2 firms that never received my resume via the resume drop despite having applied in very early August. In fact, the firms indicated that they failed to receive any resumes from career services and assumed that nobody was interested as the firms were located in secondary markets.

Career Service Fail!!!

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:34 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

It would be entertaining if it were the lounge, but non-BPers hang out here...

on_ne_sait_jamais

Postby on_ne_sait_jamais » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:41 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
vanwinkle wrote:

You're a douchebag for the following reasons:
1) Any firm who would take a clearly tongue and cheek comment written in an internet forum as reflective of a student body, is not a firm I would work for.
2) K&E Don't give a damn about TLS
3) You're a douche

And yes I begged the question, and yes you're still a douche

Return to “Legal Employment”